Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Led accent lighting trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Scooter68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Led accent lighting trouble

Ok, I have done this before but that was on an Ultra, but I didn't have problems before, so I turn to you electrical experts here. So I'm in the middle of hooking up some engine led accent lights on the 07 Deluxe. Using HD part # Auxiliary Accessory Switch Housing kit 70213-02C, with Auxiliary On/off Switch kit 71718-02, for easy access to be right on the bars. So I run an extended wire to be able to make my connections under the seat. My plan was to go direct to the battery, power from the switch and power for the led to the positive and both ground for the switch and led to the neg side. I am getting a huge sparking and even fried one of my leds. Now I used to have it hooked up in my Ultra to a relay with an inline fuse in it and direct to the electrical accessory adaptorand grounded elsewhere besides the neg side. Really don't have room for a relay on the deluxe and for extra wiring all over the place. The switch is good hooked it up to the spot lights and works fine there. Any help would be helpful.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:40 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter68
Ok, I have done this before but that was on an Ultra, but I didn't have problems before, so I turn to you electrical experts here. So I'm in the middle of hooking up some engine led accent lights on the 07 Deluxe. Using HD part # Auxiliary Accessory Switch Housing kit 70213-02C, with Auxiliary On/off Switch kit 71718-02, for easy access to be right on the bars. So I run an extended wire to be able to make my connections under the seat. My plan was to go direct to the battery, power from the switch and power for the led to the positive and both ground for the switch and led to the neg side. I am getting a huge sparking and even fried one of my leds. Now I used to have it hooked up in my Ultra to a relay with an inline fuse in it and direct to the electrical accessory adaptorand grounded elsewhere besides the neg side. Really don't have room for a relay on the deluxe and for extra wiring all over the place. The switch is good hooked it up to the spot lights and works fine there. Any help would be helpful.
If I'm reading this correctly you have a dead short. You do not ground the switch? !2 volts from battery to one side of switch. Ground to other side of switch. Turn the switch on, 12 volts directly to ground = a dead short!
Sparks and flash!

Old 04-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Scooter68
Road Master

Yup you read it right. So let me get this straight then, of the two wires from the switch, only one gets used?

Old 04-03-2014, 04:41 PM
super77ta
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is how i did my lights and they work fine with no shorts.

take all of the positive wires from the led's and hook them up to the switch. run the positive wire from the switch to the battery.

then take the negative wire from the led's and run to the negative terminal on the battery. dont hook up the negetive wire from the switch to anything

hope that helps

Old 04-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Scooter68
Road Master

Originally Posted by super77ta

take all of the positive wires from the led's and hook them up to the switch. run the positive wire from the switch to the battery.

then take the negative wire from the led's and run to the negative terminal on the battery. dont hook up the negetive wire from the switch to anything

hope that helps
This is what I was just thinking, and yes it does help, thanks a million.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:50 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by super77ta

hope that helps
If you have two wires on your switch and one has nothing hooked to it what is the switch "switching"?

Sorry guys, but there is NO negative wire on a 12 volt switch. A 12 volt switch has two wires.
One goes to the power source- 12 volt battery
Second wire goes to the device you are switching- led lights (positive side)

Your negative wire (chassis ground) will go to the negative side of the led lights

OP, I hope you don't get offended but if this is not easily understood you really need to consult with a friend that has electrical experience. You can really do some damage if you're not careful.

Last edited by harleyheaven; 04-03-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:53 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Correct all switches even in house wires. power source to bottom of switch and top of switch goes to light. grounds and neutrals get attatched together to themselves

Old 04-03-2014, 05:04 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyheaven
If you have two wires on your switch and one has nothing hooked to it what is the switch "switching"?

Sorry guys, but there is NO negative wire on a 12 volt switch. A 12 volt switch has two wires.
One goes to the power source- 12 volt battery
Second wire goes to the device you are switching- led lights (positive side)

Your negative wire (chassis ground) will go to the negative side of the led lights

OP, I hope you don't get offended but if this is not easily understood you really need to consult with a friend that has electrical experience. You can really do some damage if you're not careful.

yep what he said

Old 04-03-2014, 05:06 PM
super77ta
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyheaven

yep you are right. i remember that now.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:32 PM
MB1953
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hope this doesn't confuse the issue, but IF the switch is a lighted switch (one that lights up when you turn it on), it will have three connections; one goes to the battery +, one goes to the LEDs, and one gets grounded (to turn on the light in the switch). There should be markings to differentiate them. These used to be really popular items in auto parts outlets...

Quick Reply: Led accent lighting trouble