Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe Oil Drain Hose Clamp - question about install

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:49 AM
nickel.wound
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Deluxe Oil Drain Hose Clamp - question about install

I removed my oil tank on my 2011 Deluxe to have it PC'd. It's done, and reinstalled - but the only thing I can't figure out is how to crimp the HD hose clamp on my oil drain line (the one that goes into the frame at the bottom of the bike, for oil change draining).

HD sold me the metal hose clamps that you "crimp." I can't get ahold of the clamp well enough to secure it, because it's tucked back by my shocks, the frame, and electrical wire snakes.

Anyone have any advice on how to do this, or maybe a different hose clamp besides the HD metal ones?

Thanks!

Old 04-04-2014, 10:09 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,383 Likes on 4,003 Posts

Originally Posted by nickel.wound
I removed my oil tank on my 2011 Deluxe to have it PC'd. It's done, and reinstalled - but the only thing I can't figure out is how to crimp the HD hose clamp on my oil drain line (the one that goes into the frame at the bottom of the bike, for oil change draining).

HD sold me the metal hose clamps that you "crimp." I can't get ahold of the clamp well enough to secure it, because it's tucked back by my shocks, the frame, and electrical wire snakes.

Anyone have any advice on how to do this, or maybe a different hose clamp besides the HD metal ones?

Thanks!

If I understand you correctly, those need a special crimp tool...

You can always get a different hose clamp. there a re many types, but the screw type are probably most common. You can get them online or good stainless hose clamps from a marine store..

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-hose-clamps/=re2zj1

Good luck...

Old 04-04-2014, 11:17 AM
nickel.wound
Tourer

Thanks hat, that was my guess - but is there any type of restriction on which clamp type can be used on this hose? I guess the Harley clamps are called Ear Clamps and they need a crimping tool - basically, can I use ANY hose clamp at this connection?

Thanks again for the advice.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:52 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

Doing this same thing here soon. Had my powdercoated tank painted to match my tins.

Anyway, I'm planning on having the rear tire off when I crimp that clamp on. I have a pair of 90* wire snips from Craftsman that will do the job just fine. They're plenty small enough to fit in there, but having the back tire off will allow much better access.

But then again, I'll have my back tire off because I'll be installing a Shotgun too. It's just easier all around to have it off. Good luck.

Also, I just re-read your above post. While there may not be significant pressure on that part of the oil system, consider that the clamp/fitting/attachment point your talking about ALWAYS has oil against it, obviously, because of gravity.

If you skip out on the ear/pinch clamp, I would get a worm drive. You will want something that maintains constant pressure, not a spring type clamp that can 'spring' in both directions.

Last edited by Redbeard719; 04-04-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Also, these are the types of pliers/snips I plan to use. They're small and won't actually cut the clamp any. The clamp material is too think to be cut by these guys...

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-p...&blockType=G46

Old 04-04-2014, 12:05 PM
nickel.wound
Tourer

Red,

Thanks man! Those are the nippers that I bought but I got the 7" version. They were too big to get in there - I should have taken the tire off like you did, but now it's all back together and this clamp is the only thing keeping me from filling her up!

I'll use a worm drive clamp until I can get the right tool to crimp the ear clamp. Thanks again.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:18 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,785 Likes on 9,863 Posts

This:

Old 04-04-2014, 12:25 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

No problem. To be honest, removing the rear tire is a load of work just for one stinkin' clamp. If my bike wasn't as tore down as it is, I would have done a worm clamp too.

BTW, on the work clamp, if you can, skip the screw driver and just use a 5/16" nut driver. Better torque for you, and the nut driver won't slip.

QC, them's are what I'm talking about. How you been this winter? You're work bench looks like mine piled high with parts, minus the Tigger!

Old 04-04-2014, 12:33 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,785 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I'm good, Red! Yourself?
Tigger is my co-pilot. Garage certainly isn't as clean as it should be, that's for sure. Wasn't able to do any major mechanical stuff this year as other things kept cropping up.
We'll have to have a cup of coffee.
BTW, those nippers are barely big enough to get across the crimp area of the hose clamps, anything bigger won't fit in the area they need to be used, though.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:40 PM
nickel.wound
Tourer

Ordered the Craftsman nippers, Red/QC! Thanks for the help!

I get a worm drive clamp on there tonight so I can finish up, and use the ear clamp when the new tool arrives.

Thanks for everything, you guys have saved me hours of lying on the garage floor fuming mad!!

Quick Reply: Deluxe Oil Drain Hose Clamp - question about install