Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for those with 2" tank lift (with deluxe option)???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:56 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Question for those with 2" tank lift (with deluxe option)???

I put the 2" tank lift on my bike with the deluxe option (which raises the rear of the tank 1/2"). I am on my 5th tank of gas and it seems that when my gas gauge reads between 1/2 and 1/4 of a tank, my bikes starts to spit and sputter like it wants more fuel. Now im wondering that since the fuel pump is right under the speedo in the center, and not in the back where the fuel line is, that when the fuel slushes around in the tank, it is causing the fuel pump to not get the fuel it needs.

Has anyone else had this issue with the 2" lift? Its happens twice and both times when I filled the tank up, it went away.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:37 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm curious to hear the answer to this as well.
I have an 1.5" Deluxe kit that I haven't installed yet.

In the meantime, try to always ride downhill...

Old 04-04-2014, 09:53 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jam436
I'm curious to hear the answer to this as well.
I have an 1.5" Deluxe kit that I haven't installed yet.

In the meantime, try to always ride downhill...
Well, thats parts of my problem. Lol I live in a pretty flat are now but in May I will be doing quite a bit of riding in the mountains and I really, really, really dont need issues with the fuel pump not getting juice when I am going uphill and on 1/2 a tank.

I love the way it looks but depending on what kind of answers I get here, it may have to be removed.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:14 AM
CagelessRoy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the 1.5" lift back in December. No sputtering or problems. Just rode the 3 sisters which have a lot of steep grades and twisties.

FYI the low fuel running light now comes on with 1 gallon remaining and the fuel gauge is just above E.

Tried the .5" deluxe but couldn't get the seat to fit.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:46 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

How many miles do you have on a tank at that point. Also, I had this issue. It was a hole in the fuel line. It's a pretty common problem. It spits gas that's supposed to be going to the motor back in the tank so not all the fuel that is supposed to be getting there is.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:17 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,375 Likes on 1,162 Posts

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
How many miles do you have on a tank at that point. Also, I had this issue. It was a hole in the fuel line. It's a pretty common problem. It spits gas that's supposed to be going to the motor back in the tank so not all the fuel that is supposed to be getting there is.
How did you know you had this problem with the fuel line ?

Old 04-05-2014, 08:37 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

dumb question probably, but if you had a pinhole in a fuel line wouldn't that problem (sputtering) exist all the time, and not just when the fuel level dropped enough to expose it?

Old 04-05-2014, 08:41 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Well, the two times that it did it I forgot to set my trip meter (Doh!). One of them though, I know I had to pit in about 3.2 gallons. Also, the trip meter wouldnt have matter on that time because I was riding it pretty hard and I typically only get 30mpg (my right hand likes to twist the throttle with the 107" HA!).

How did you determine you had a hole in the fuel line? Did you just pull the fuel pump and then see it?

Old 04-05-2014, 08:42 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jam436
dumb question probably, but if you had a pinhole in a fuel line wouldn't that problem (sputtering) exist all the time, and not just when the fuel level dropped enough to expose it?
I just thought the same thing...

Old 04-05-2014, 10:48 AM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

The best way to determine how much fuel you have especially with a tank lift, is with the Miles to empty. Harley fuel gauges are notoriously unreliable, a tank lift just exaggerates that problem.

If you are still having this problem even when going by the MTE and you know that you have plenty of gas, I would start looking into other possible causes.

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Quick Reply: Question for those with 2" tank lift (with deluxe option)???