Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 Re-Programming

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 07:20 AM
CodeRed
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 Re-Programming

Hey Everyone.

I was at my HD dealership yesterday talking about my bike, they were saying because I put a stage 1 air cleaner and slip on pipes on the bike that I should have the computer re-programmed to handle the increased airflow the bike is getting.

How true is this? Or are they just trying to squeeze money out of me.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:24 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeRed
Hey Everyone.

I was at my HD dealership yesterday talking about my bike, they were saying because I put a stage 1 air cleaner and slip on pipes on the bike that I should have the computer re-programmed to handle the increased airflow the bike is getting.

How true is this? Or are they just trying to squeeze money out of me.
It's true. You and the bike will be much happier after you re-program the EFI.

Avoid the HD stage-1 download...doesn't do much. Look for a good aftermarket tuner.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:29 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nhrider1
Look for a good aftermarket tuner.

If you're increasing the air in to the engine, and increasing the exhaust leaving the engine, you need to increase the amount of fuel going in to the engine, that's what the fuel tuner does, else you'll be choking the motor for life giving petroleum..

Do a search for fuel tuners on this forum, pretty much every question you have could be answered.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:16 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 752 Likes on 460 Posts

The bike will run with no problems without altering the ECM.

The ECM can compensate enough to handle the addition of an AC and pipes without any engine harm.
However to get the full benefit of the AC and pipes you need to either have the ECM "Stage 1" tuned or better yet add a fuel tuner.

The Dealer "Stage 1" ECM tune will make a difference, however you will not get a full "Stage 1" benefit due to the Dealer is limited on what they can do as to tuning because of EPA constraints.

IMO a fuel tuner is the better way to go and will complete your "Stage 1" upgrade.
It will give you better throttle response, increased mpg, cooler running and control decel pop.
The changes are not "night and day", but are very noticeable.

My recommendation is V&H Fuel Pak or Fuel Moto Micro Tuner, both around $300.
I've never tried the Micro Tuner, but reviews are good on both Fuel Moto and the Micro Tuner.

Keep an eye open on e-Bay or HDF's classifieds and chances are you will find a used Fuel Pak for less than half of the new price.

I got mine off e-Bay for $135 and have absolutely no regrets.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:34 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven

The ECM can compensate enough to handle the addition of an AC and pipes without any engine harm.
However to get the full benefit of the AC and pipes you need to either have the ECM "Stage 1" tuned or better yet add a fuel tuner.

The Dealer "Stage 1" ECM tune will make a difference, however you will not get a full "Stage 1" benefit due to the Dealer is limited on what they can do as to tuning because of EPA constraints.

IMO a fuel tuner is the better way to go and will complete your "Stage 1" upgrade.
It will give you better throttle response, increased mpg, cooler running and control decel pop.

I've never tried the Micro Tuner, but reviews are good on both Fuel Moto and the Micro Tuner.

Keep an eye open on e-Bay or HDF's classifieds and chances are you will find a used Fuel Pak for less than half of the new price.

every word...

Old 04-06-2014, 03:34 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Here's a good overview of the most popular options-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-02-2014, 01:53 AM
Skellig
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great info - cheers! I got my new sportster this year and still doing break-in. My list of to-dos are Arlen Ness big sucker, a tuner (more research needed), and I'm gobsmacked on the
, they sound incredible.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:34 AM
Jimstang
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We should save this and paste it to every softail tune question thread for the future

Despite some opinions and bad reviews, I'm running FP3 and it works flawlessly for Stage 1 on my bike

Old 10-02-2014, 10:51 AM
Dutch101st
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimstang
We should save this and paste it to every softail tune question thread for the future

Despite some opinions and bad reviews, I'm running FP3 and it works flawlessly for Stage 1 on my bike
Same here...no issues with my FP3 either...have gotten very good results.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:03 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

No complaints on my FP3 either. Now it may of just been the great sound of those new super radius pipes on my bike,but I don't think so. To me it felt like a night and day difference before and after I reflashed the new setup with the FP3 tuner. 2014 Fatboy Lo.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 Re-Programming