Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air cleaner choices?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 01:51 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Air cleaner choices?

My 2014 Breakout is only my 2nd ever Harley, and I've only had it about a month and a half, but I AM learning.

One of the things I am learning is that HD Big Twins run HOT! I was surprised to see my oil temperature gage show 240 degrees the other day after a light 60 mile ride in 85 degree weather, but equally surprisingly being told "that's normal for a Harley".

So, when I look at the air intake system, I get a bit unhappy.

I have a Stage 4 race (not street) kit installed by my dealer, so I have the 58mm throttle body (remember this later when I ask my questions below), with a Screamin' eagle "white synthetic" filter element (no oiling required), and the stock cosmetic air cleaner cover.

The synthetic filter I regard as "good". Harley published a document a while back that shows the white synthetic elements are almost as free flowing (within just a few percentage points) of the more exotically shaped "cone filters".

But, there is an obvious problem with this air filter that is covered by the stock air filter cover. It can only draw air from the worst possible location: right adjacent to the hot cylinders and heads, and that air is very hot! The cover actually prevents drawing cooler air from the air slipstream to the right of the bike.

In stop and go traffic, this contributes to engine heat by bringing in air that is already much hotter than ambient air. In motion, it reduces the engine power by supplying hotter, less dense air. On a dyno, it probably significantly lowers the produced power because the engine is working at full throttle AND not moving. The typical dyno fans are npwhere close to producing the real airflow that running on the road at 60 mph produces.

Now I understand why HD and aftermarket suppliers offer all those expensive air cleaner setups in which the cover is non-solid (screened or slotted or other "holes" in it), AND the air filter element is "multi-sided" and draws air from every direction EXCEPT from the engine side of the air cleaner!

The advantages are obvious: the engine gets cooler air, along with more filter surface area. The big disadvantage is that the air filter is now exposed to rain and to water when washing the bike. That tends to either plug an air filter or get water into the engine, neither of which is a good thing. That's why all the manufacturers of these multi-sided air filters ship them with a rain cover, or offer one at additional cost.

If I can get cooler air to the engine most of the time, I am willing to put up with the rain sock.

So, here's my question: Given that I am running a 58mm throttle body instead of the stock one, what are some good, "proven" choices for a "multi-sided" air cleaner that draws air from anywhere except the engine side, and does not too severely "stick out further" into the area where the rider's right leg wants to be? I do have a preference for a solution that is NOT the "cone" type filter sticking out forward.

Any proven product suggestions?

Jim G

Old 04-11-2014, 02:18 PM
cbaywolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
My 2014 Breakout is only my 2nd ever Harley, and I've only had it about a month and a half, but I AM learning.

One of the things I am learning is that HD Big Twins run HOT! I was surprised to see my oil temperature gage show 240 degrees the other day after a light 60 mile ride in 85 degree weather, but equally surprisingly being told "that's normal for a Harley".

So, when I look at the air intake system, I get a bit unhappy.

I have a Stage 4 race (not street) kit installed by my dealer, so I have the 58mm throttle body (remember this later when I ask my questions below), with a Screamin' eagle "white synthetic" filter element (no oiling required), and the stock cosmetic air cleaner cover.

The synthetic filter I regard as "good". Harley published a document a while back that shows the white synthetic elements are almost as free flowing (within just a few percentage points) of the more exotically shaped "cone filters".

But, there is an obvious problem with this air filter that is covered by the stock air filter cover. It can only draw air from the worst possible location: right adjacent to the hot cylinders and heads, and that air is very hot! The cover actually prevents drawing cooler air from the air slipstream to the right of the bike.

In stop and go traffic, this contributes to engine heat by bringing in air that is already much hotter than ambient air. In motion, it reduces the engine power by supplying hotter, less dense air. On a dyno, it probably significantly lowers the produced power because the engine is working at full throttle AND not moving. The typical dyno fans are npwhere close to producing the real airflow that running on the road at 60 mph produces.

Now I understand why HD and aftermarket suppliers offer all those expensive air cleaner setups in which the cover is non-solid (screened or slotted or other "holes" in it), AND the air filter element is "multi-sided" and draws air from every direction EXCEPT from the engine side of the air cleaner!

The advantages are obvious: the engine gets cooler air, along with more filter surface area. The big disadvantage is that the air filter is now exposed to rain and to water when washing the bike. That tends to either plug an air filter or get water into the engine, neither of which is a good thing. That's why all the manufacturers of these multi-sided air filters ship them with a rain cover, or offer one at additional cost.

If I can get cooler air to the engine most of the time, I am willing to put up with the rain sock.

So, here's my question: Given that I am running a 58mm throttle body instead of the stock one, what are some good, "proven" choices for a "multi-sided" air cleaner that draws air from anywhere except the engine side, and does not too severely "stick out further" into the area where the rider's right leg wants to be? I do have a preference for a solution that is NOT the "cone" type filter sticking out forward.

Any proven product suggestions?

Jim G
This may not be immediately available- but I have the Arlen Ness Inverted "Deep Cut" Air filter on my bike- I was talking to one of the Ness brothers online, and they said it doesn't really require a rain-sock, and he ran it in heavy downpours at Sturgis last year. I haven't had the chance myself yet (more like snow), but on top of this he said they are in the final stages of getting ready to release the newest filter that fits these kits that is completely waterproof- supposedly to be released in May or June (and they have some available now). It think he said the replacement filters would run about $30- but eventually the new intakes will just ship with them.

This all came up b/c I was looking high and low to find a rain-sock to fit my air intake- I used to run the Thunder Tornado on my VTX which had the standard K&N filters, and definitely required a rain sock in a decent rain.

Last edited by cbaywolf; 04-11-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:57 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cbaywolf
This may not be immediately available- but I have the Arlen Ness Inverted "Deep Cut" Air filter on my bike- I was talking to one of the Ness brothers online, and they said it doesn't really require a rain-sock, and he ran it in heavy downpours at Sturgis last year. I haven't had the chance myself yet (more like snow), but on top of this he said they are in the final stages of getting ready to release the newest filter that fits these kits that is completely waterproof- supposedly to be released in May or June (and they have some available now). It think he said the replacement filters would run about $30- but eventually the new intakes will just ship with them.

This all came up b/c I was looking high and low to find a rain-sock to fit my air intake- I used to run the Thunder Tornado on my VTX which had the standard K&N filters, and definitely required a rain sock in a decent rain.
Found it on the Ness site. It looks significantly smaller in overall size than the HD ventilator or Xtreme. Is it, or do the photos just make it seem that way?

Jim G

Old 04-11-2014, 03:07 PM
dmlogs0
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really wanted a Heavy Breather Elite Performance. I love the look of it on the CVO Breakout, but it only fits the 58mm throttle body. I'm not really sure if it sticks out as much as the standard Heavy Breather cone since it's more oblong than round.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:12 PM
cbaywolf
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Found it on the Ness site. It looks significantly smaller in overall size than the HD ventilator or Xtreme. Is it, or do the photos just make it seem that way?

Jim G
Well it's definitely smaller than the typical oval shaped HD intakes, but the outside edge isn't closed off at all- it's a typical high-flow air intake, and from what I know- they're all very similar once you get into the aftermarket intakes- they all take in more air than your engine can use, and are mostly for aesthetics.

I'm not going to say that you won't find some that sit out a little further, and will bring in cooler air- but at that point, you may start getting some leg interference.

You can reference my sig pic for a general size, or this one:

Last edited by cbaywolf; 04-11-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:12 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dmlogs0
I really wanted a Heavy Breather Elite Performance. I love the look of it on the CVO Breakout, but it only fits the 58mm throttle body. I'm not really sure if it sticks out as much as the standard Heavy Breather cone since it's more oblong than round.
I have to admit that the heavy Breather style DOES move the air intake not only outward but forward of the "heat zone" as well, although it does get very close to the front exhaust header. It also is MUCH more exposed to the rain.

Jim G

Old 04-11-2014, 03:14 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cbaywolf
Well it's definitely smaller than the typical oval shaped HD intakes, but the outside edge isn't closed off at all- it's a typical high-flow air intake, and from what I know- they're all very similar once you get into the aftermarket intakes- they all take in more air than your engine can use, and are mostly for aesthetics.

You can reference my sig pic for a general size, or this one:
LOOKS excellent. How much further does it stick out to the right than a stock air filter with stock cover does?

I'm asking because I am just grazing the stock air cleaner cover with my leg.

Jim G

Old 04-11-2014, 03:21 PM
cbaywolf
Cruiser

I never rode with the stock intake on the bike, so I can't compare- but I would say the same, my leg just grazes the intake, and I really don't notice it (I'm 5'10)- It doesn't stick out obnoxiously far- my old Tornado (which is a lot like the SE Heavy Breather) used to stick out a bit further on my old bike.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:28 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am willing to bet that changing air cleaners is not going to do much for your operating temps. But for looks alone I would still change it.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:18 PM
PA1195
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Here's a option from the 2014 SE catalog page 9, the SE Ventilator like the factory installs on the '14 FLSTNSE Softail with 50mm TB. Lots of knee room and filter element doesn't face the engine:

"Fits ’08-later Touring and ’11-later CVO Softail models
equipped with Screamin’ Eagle Pro High Flow 58mm
Throttle Body P/N 27713-08.
29400039 Chrome. $249.95"

Last edited by PA1195; 04-11-2014 at 09:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Air cleaner choices?