Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXSB Breakout with FXSBSE CVO handlebar

Old 04-16-2014, 07:27 AM
Hiker Dave
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rubber_down
I'm putting this in a new post because some of this information can be found elsewhere on this forum but in my personal research on this subject I never found anything comprehensive and still had to do a bit of guessing when deciding to do this.

My first thought after deciding to buy the Breakout was that I would put the CVO bars on. I did not have a pleasant experience in the past on a Night Train after 3 solid hours of riding due to the drag bars/riding position.

After picking it up in May of last year I was really pleasantly suprised by how comfortable the bars ended up being. The seat position is much lower relative to the bars and that definitely helps for long term comfort. (75 miles is a short ride for me).

I did still however get some discomfort after 5-6 hours in the saddle and so during the winter months I had the CVO reduced reach chrome bar installed.

My observations:
- The bars don't look "better" per se then the stock bar. I really like both looks. I'd guess that if you prefer the "cruiser" bar look you will be very happy with the CVO bar; I definitely am happy (while still a huge fan of the stock look)

-The CVO bar works fine with the stock riser and no additional cable is needed.

- The riding position is not as aggressive and so I found I was also not as aggressive as I usually am riding. I personally feel this is a positive change but your mileage may vary (The ability to ride aggressively was not impaired, just my unconsciounce desire to do it)

- The stock seat was designed for the drag bars more then it seems when riding with the stock bars. With my new seating position I get extra pressure above the tailbone (I'm 6', 212 lbs) and so I am now re-assessing my options for after market seats. I had decided on the Danny Gray air-hawk but if they designed for the drag bar position, that seat might also not serve me well. I'll have to start looking at what's available after market for the CVO or if the CVO even uses a different seat design. (Any good feedback a CVO owner has on this would be appreciated)

- The bike handles amazing now. I had no issues with the stock bars but it was definitely a situation of experienced rider as opposed to a result of engineering. Don't get me wrong, the Breakout with the stock bars handles just fine and I had no issues. With the CVO bars it's drastically improved upon even more. I can countersteer with my pinky now if I wanted to. The comfort curve through the lean angle is much higher though and scraping the feelers takes no effort at all. This isn't a negative so much as an adjustment needed in cornering. I'll be removing the feelers soon to give me more lean angle if I want it.

- Aside from the additional tailbone pressure (dealt with by using a zeppelin but that raises your seat profile), after adjusting my posture a bit, I rode comfortably all day with no lower back discomfort at all. It was all I could do to head home when I knew I was running out of minutes and degrees. This was a huge positive for me.

All said and done, I am glad I made the change. I kept my stock bar and will definitely switch it back if I end up getting another touring bike to do the real long rides with.

Hope this information helps anyone thinking about this modification.
So you replaced the stock drag bars with CVO bars and it didnt require a cable change? Does your bike have ABS? Mine is a 2014 and I think the ABS brake cable will be too short to connect on the CVO bars with the rise there. I may need to re-visit this then if you have ABS.
Regardless, i need to add some more pullback and/or risers to make the bike fit me a bit better.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:07 AM
rubber_down
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hiker Dave
So you replaced the stock drag bars with CVO bars and it didnt require a cable change? Does your bike have ABS? Mine is a 2014 and I think the ABS brake cable will be too short to connect on the CVO bars with the rise there. I may need to re-visit this then if you have ABS.
Regardless, i need to add some more pullback and/or risers to make the bike fit me a bit better.

My bike does not have ABS. (added that info to my OP, it's a good point I forgot to consider) I think they quoted me 31$ for a cable if a longer one was required.

Last edited by rubber_down; 04-16-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Stone Cliff
Tourer

I have the CVO bars as well and love them. Especially with the Danny Gray seat and forward control 3" extensions. I think it looks awesome too. I am thinking of adding 2" more to the riser though... not sure - especially If I have to e-wire anything - its pretty comfortable now.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:32 PM
rubber_down
Novice

Originally Posted by Stone Cliff
I have the CVO bars as well and love them. Especially with the Danny Gray seat and forward control 3" extensions. I think it looks awesome too. I am thinking of adding 2" more to the riser though... not sure - especially If I have to e-wire anything - its pretty comfortable now.

Did you get the Gel or Airhawk built in? It has good comfort 3-4 hours into a ride?

Any chance at an up close and then full profile picture please?

Thanks!

I really wish there was a way to compare (via a ride) the sundowner solo vs the Danny Gray seat.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:36 PM
crawlgsx
Cruiser

Did you get the Gel or Airhawk built in? It has good comfort 3-4 hours into a ride?

Thanks!

I really wish there was a way to compare (via a ride) the sundowner solo vs the Danny Gray seat.
Still hoping someone releases a seat that hides the bracket. I hate those screw(s) being there, I really do.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:41 PM
Stone Cliff
Tourer

Thanks!

This is just the standard with no air. It's extremely comfortable on long rides and provides excellent support - especially with the CVO bars. Danny Gray support is superb as well, they will work with you to make it work for you.

Attached Thumbnails FXSB Breakout with FXSBSE CVO handlebar-stingray-1.jpg   FXSB Breakout with FXSBSE CVO handlebar-stingray-2.jpg  
Old 04-16-2014, 01:42 PM
Stone Cliff
Tourer

Originally Posted by crawlgsx
Still hoping someone releases a seat that hides the bracket. I hate those screw(s) being there, I really do.
24v found a way to hide them. I was actually thinking of velcro

Old 04-16-2014, 02:53 PM
rubber_down
Novice

This is just the standard with no air. It's extremely comfortable on long rides and provides excellent support - especially with the CVO bars. Danny Gray support is superb as well, they will work with you to make it work for you.
Thanks for the pictures and the info!

Old 04-16-2014, 02:58 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

Putting on the "Reach" Breakout seat is another solution, as that seat both lowers you and moves you forward. That's what I did, and it feels great now. I posted recently about it if anyone wants more details. That approach preserves the mean look of the drag bar.

Jim G

Old 04-16-2014, 08:18 PM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

24v found a way to hide them. I was actually thinking of velcro
Heavy Duty velcro is what my Bitchin Seat uses, and let me tell you it hasn't moved and is a MOTHER to remove if I align it perfectly. Velcro is the way to go.

24v's is nice btw......glad he mod'd his as it's a cleaner look now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FXSB Breakout with FXSBSE CVO handlebar