Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Breakout - Deep scratch in tank.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:01 AM
dyolfknip
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dmac936
Just wondering. If I choose to put off he repair, assuming tank needs to repainted, I'd like to ride this summer, not wait for paint to be finished, is there a risk of further damage to the tank from the gas?
How deep is the scratch? Post a pic......

Old 04-17-2014, 03:38 PM
dmac936
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
How deep is the scratch? Post a pic......
Took a pic of the scratch and also one with the cap screwed on. I just noticed it, but it appears it does not screw on straight, and if tightened all the way, it will touch the tank. Maybe I do have an alignment issue?

New Breakout - Deep scratch in tank.-sc2eg9f.jpg
New Breakout - Deep scratch in tank.-b2eulxl.jpg

Last edited by dmac936; 04-17-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:05 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

Yeah, I'd be trying a new cap first, and if that doesn't fix that then a new tank for sure. They should be handling this. This isn't just a paint issue.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:53 PM
vivid black
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dmac936
Took a pic of the scratch and also one with the cap screwed on. I just noticed it, but it appears it does not screw on straight, and if tightened all the way, it will touch the tank. Maybe I do have an alignment issue?

This is exactly how mine looked cap touching tank on one side threaded Bunge soldered in tank wrong they had to put new tank on bike warranty.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:08 PM
yandeltx
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest telling them to get you a new tank ordered, same color. You could continue to ride the bike as is until the new tank comes in. Once the new "painted" tank arrives it shoudn't take an hour to drive the bike in and have them make the swap. No way would I settle for a tank with a scratch on it, these bikes cost too much money for that. Stay after them.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:01 PM
HD and VETTE
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yandeltx
I would suggest telling them to get you a new tank ordered, same color. You could continue to ride the bike as is until the new tank comes in. Once the new "painted" tank arrives it shoudn't take an hour to drive the bike in and have them make the swap. No way would I settle for a tank with a scratch on it, these bikes cost too much money for that. Stay after them.
TOTALLY agree get them to get you a new tank.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:23 PM
SoftailManiac
Cruiser

I would ask for a new tank also! HD is terrible with customer service in recent years. I had an issue a while back, (not related) and got thrown out of the dealership because they would not take care of the problem. HD customer service in Milwaukee tols me that there was nothing they could do, period. When I questioned why, the reply was that dealerships are independantly owned, and how they run their dealership was none of HD's doings. Even when I told them that the dealership literally threw me out of the building, he said all he can do is look into it. In the end, nothing was done to fix the problem, nothing was done at the dealership by Harley. Short of finding a major problem on your test ride, Harley don't stand behind much anymore. A really good dealership is all you can hope for when buying new.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:42 PM
Breakout Boy
6th Gear

Newbie here who had the same problem with the cap coming off. At delivery the salesperson was showing me the bike and the thing wouldn't budge for her. I tried and nothing, service manager comes out and ditto. He get's a tech out with rubber gloves and finally it came off. Service manager said it was just put on way to tight. Took it home and still seemed lame. My solution was just to put on a Drag Specialties flush mount cap. Threads in the tank seem okay I just hated the cheap feel of the stock cap.
Scott

Old 04-19-2014, 07:00 PM
Badbagger09
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Your issue should be a warranty claim. I would request a new tank be ordered to replaced the defective one. I worked as a Service Manager for 5 years and know that they can work the warranty in your favor. Good Luck

Old 05-05-2014, 04:36 PM
dmac936
6th Gear
Default Update

Just got back from the dealership. They had their detailer take a look at it to see if they could buff out the scratch. Detailer said it was way too deep to be repaired so they ordered me a new one under warrantee. Funny thing is, I bought a black flush mount cap while I was waiting, but the service manager told me it would take 3-4 weeks for the new tank to come in. I think I'm going to have them install the blackline console when they swap the tanks. Should i stick with the black cap or exchange it for a chrome one to keep some chrome on the tank?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Breakout - Deep scratch in tank.