Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does my front brake suck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 05:08 PM
tmilo1000
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

One disc trying to stop a 700+ lb bike does not work so well. I'll get flamed and it's ok, the brakes suck on the softails. Go to a six piston caliper and bigger disc or convert to dual front discs.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:43 PM
Trickasabrick
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not so sure. If 2 discs on the front of my 5000 lb truck are adequate, 1 should stop a 700 lb. bike at least to the traction limits of the relatively small tire if it is designed and functioning properly.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:52 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,208 Likes on 8,363 Posts

Originally Posted by lemonade_07flstc
I have read that HD recommends that you change your brake fluid every 2 years. Mine never has been done since i have owned it and doubt it ever has been changed. DOT 4 is worse because it has a habit of drawing moisture. Softail front brakes are also not known for their stopping power either.
Mine could ram my face into the windshield if I wasn`t careful.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:00 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Trickasabrick
I'm not so sure. If 2 discs on the front of my 5000 lb truck are adequate, 1 should stop a 700 lb. bike at least to the traction limits of the relatively small tire if it is designed and functioning properly.

you have to remember that regular vehicles have four wheels with brakes that are 2-3 times the size of bike brakes and all work together with power assist to build more pressure.

if you have a solid brake lever and don't have any mushy/soft feel to it, I would flush the fluid and see how it feels after that. when flushing the system, don't get your self in trouble and let the reservoir run dry allowing air into the fluid passages.

I have a 07 FB and you do have to squeeze a little harder to get decent braking action. I attribute it to being a single caliper manual brake system.. just like my 67 car.. manual brakes require more force from you to work.

Maybe a master cylinder with a larger bore is the answer for single caliper systems.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:46 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

IMHO Soooo many Softail owners buy their bikes used and don't have any Idea of the maintenance of them prior to their owning them. Nor do they know whats been done or how they were ridden or what's been done....

not another Plus for buying USED....

If your BRAKING system is fugded up.... Then Fix it... U know it aint right,, but in MY 7yrs and 47k miles the braking system on our 07 Heritage has worked perfect or fine for me. I can actually make the front tire squeal If I want too..

I've rode the flats of Indiana and the hill and curves of the Dragon... And I've never once had a PROBLEM of front Brakes.....

If your having an Issue.. Then Get you whole system checked out.... by Someone who know's what the Freak they've doing...

That's IMO the problem,,, tooo many bikes have been worked on by owners that don't know WTF they are doing and others that just ride them and only change the oils..

And that's why some in here are having an ISSUE.. with their Bikes.....

Working on your bike ain't Rocket Science,, it just takes a real Wrench who knows How to do the job...

That's one of the many reasons I won't buy a Used bike unless I Know the complete history..

Last edited by oct1949; 04-18-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:55 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

The caliper on a Softail is very, very simple. Get a seal kit, some appropriate brake fluid, the manual, and get to work. Shouldn't take more than an hour or 2. A Mighty VAC is handy for bleeding as well as compressed air to get the pistons out. I rebuilt mine a couple months ago and can't believe the difference it made. I used EBC's new V-Pads in the front and it has never stopped better.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:32 PM
lazyboy09
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tmilo1000
One disc trying to stop a 700+ lb bike does not work so well. I'll get flamed and it's ok, the brakes suck on the softails. Go to a six piston caliper and bigger disc or convert to dual front discs.
+1 My front brake SUCKED from day one! Switched to Lyndall Racing pads which helped some. Have a 13" rotor and 6 piston PM caliper now and swear by it. Even stopping a big 26" wheel is no problem.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:43 PM
lazyboy09
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not saying yours may not just need a rebuild, but softail front brakes in general are just not good performers in stock form

Old 04-17-2014, 10:36 PM
surfnorthwest
Supporter
Received 27,870 Likes on 9,311 Posts

I also did not like the stopping power of my stock front brake on my 2013 Heritage. I purchased and installed a four piston Brembo brake caliper and it made enough difference that I will leave the back stock. The stopping power (I have ABS) is much better.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brembo-brake...c98f6e&vxp=mtr

Old 04-17-2014, 11:35 PM
ctluba
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My 1990 softail was the first Harely I ever owned and the first Harley I ever rode. I also immediately noticed that the front brake was way under powered with that single disk. When I inspected the brake it appeared to be in proper working order and with good pads, it just sucked.

I said I bet this thing will really stop with a nice big dual disk frontend.....so I bolted on a GSXR 1000 frontend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now before everybody yells at me, I am just kiddin. I dont expect you to bolt on a gixxer frontend. I would do as some of the the others suggested and do a rebuild kit. They are pretty cheap and easy to do. Hardest part is bleeding them when you are done, but you can get a little bleeding tool at any auto parts store. If the rebuild doesnt do it, I guess they offer dual disk systems, go with that.

Scratch all that, that bolt on brembo in the prior post looks like a great solution!!!!!

Last edited by ctluba; 04-17-2014 at 11:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Why does my front brake suck?