Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does my front brake suck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 01:51 PM
Trickasabrick
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why does my front brake suck?

Ok, I have an '02 Fatboy that is pretty stock for the most part. The rear brake is not bad, but the front brake just sucks. I would like to make it much better but I'm wondering what the problem is. Is it just that the stock (I'm assuming) pads are made out of hickory or something, or are the calipers crap or is it a combination? They don't leak down or fade or anything, they just require a LOT of pressure to have any real effect on braking. Not sure I could lock the wheel if I tried. Any input would be helpful.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:34 PM
Mike NY
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Might want to check your Master Cylinder. An "02" might be time to rebuild it. May even want to just empty it and refill and bleed the line.

You shouldn't have to squeeze it, I can feather touch my front.

The Caliper may also need a good cleaning. Maybe the pistons are coming out far enough.

Just some thoughts....

Mike

Old 04-17-2014, 02:42 PM
Trickasabrick
Tourer

Yeah, it couldn't hurt to give the whole system a good cleaning. I know brake fluid gets pretty nasty after a while.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:52 PM
Low n Loud
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just picked up an 03' Deuce and I thought the same damn thing. Front brake is basically useless. Rear brake works fantastic... front brake is about just good for keeping the bike from rolling while I'm stopped at a red light with my feet down. lol

Old 04-17-2014, 02:56 PM
lemonade_07flstc
Extreme HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 276 Posts

I have read that HD recommends that you change your brake fluid every 2 years. Mine never has been done since i have owned it and doubt it ever has been changed. DOT 4 is worse because it has a habit of drawing moisture. Softail front brakes are also not known for their stopping power either.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:58 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same year and model. Sounds like it's time for you to rebuild your system. From your Harley dealer or aftermarket company such as JP Cycles you can purchase a Caliper rebuild kit and Master Cylinder rebuild kit. Additionally, stamped on your brake rotor is a minimum thickness. With a micrometer, measure the rotor thickness and replace it if it's not within specs. Stock Harley brake pads are adequate if everything else is functioning correctly.

Rebuild kits are inexpensive and the maintenance procedure is easy to perform.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:01 PM
Guitarman_sg
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 80 Posts

Do yourself a favor and order a rebuild kit. Comes with new pistons and seals. This is what I had when I split the caliper on the front of my 04 wideglide. Brakes work like a dream now!

Attached Thumbnails Why does my front brake suck?-20140315_134755.jpg  
Old 04-17-2014, 03:06 PM
Trickasabrick
Tourer

Yeah, that's pretty nasty. Time for a rebuild.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:56 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

I can make my front tire squeal if I apply enough pressure on my 07..

your's sounds like it needs completely rebuilt and bleed, maybe new lines are in order also.. Also maybe the pads needs replaced if they gotten oil of other cleaner on them.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:59 PM
rbeamj
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Depending on funds you may consider an upgrade. Performance machine, brembo and wilwood all make calipers. Also the 08 and up calipers work very well. Difference is with the 08 caliper you need matching rotors (320 mm vs 11.5 inch).

Bought my brembo caliper on ebay for 189. Wilwood a are 199 and the 08 are around 2 bills on ebay.

These are just diff options for you to consider. Of course a rebuild is way cheaper and adequate but if you are taking it apart an upgrade may be worth it

Quick Reply: Why does my front brake suck?