Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sport bike to harley?

Old 04-22-2014, 04:48 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by klf33
I moved from my 2002 R1 and racing GSXR600 to the Softail in 2007, I lost interest in thrills and wanted to just 'enjoy' the ride.

That aside, I am 5'9 and 175, I would think I am barely OK for the bike , sometimes I feel I would have enjoyed a smaller bike (maybe a sportster).

They are now powerful (power to weitght they do beat most softails) and they handle better and now they are smooth (post 2004).

If I were you, I would consider the sportsters, they have some of the coolest looking machines out there.
There are some really good looking sportys out there, but I don't know if I'd want one for my main bike. They're fine power wise, but they just seem like a more compact bike compared to my Deuce and the 883 I had back in early 2000's wasn't a very comfortable highway cruiser. Of course, even when I put on the nice two up seat, luggage, and all that, it destroys the look of the bike.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:36 PM
DocHollowpoint
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yzergod
Your bike...

Harley Softail...

Any questions?
No just a statement, the softail would be more accurately compared to a deuce coupe!

Old 04-23-2014, 04:52 PM
dmac936
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey. I'm 25 if that matters to you at all. I recently made the switch from a GSXR-600 to a Breakout and I absolutely love it. I've had the bike for a little over a week. The sport bikes are fun, but they are uncomfortable and I found that I got bored on them which lead me to do dumb ****. It's definitely a totally different ride, but its much more comfortable and just all around a different kind of fun. The biggest adjustment for me was getting used to the crappy breaks and poor lean angles (I drag my pegs every day). Overall I have no regrets and don't see myself ever purchasing another sport bike.

Last edited by dmac936; 04-23-2014 at 04:53 PM. Reason: added a word
Old 04-23-2014, 04:56 PM
PRODUCTofNJ
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I was financially able to have 2 bikes but that's not possible right now. I was looking at sportsters but the small gas tanks cancel them out of the equation and the ones with larger tanks aren't really for me.

I was going to take a test ride today but things didn't work out so ill have to head to the dealer on Saturday instead. How willing are they to let you ride a bike? I was told by 2 salesmen at 2 different dealers that it wouldnt be a problem. Has that been the case with you when you actually take them up on the offer? Honda/yamaha/suzuki don't allow test rides in my area even untill youve actually bought the bike.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:35 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by PRODUCTofNJ
I wish I was financially able to have 2 bikes but that's not possible right now. I was looking at sportsters but the small gas tanks cancel them out of the equation and the ones with larger tanks aren't really for me.

I was going to take a test ride today but things didn't work out so ill have to head to the dealer on Saturday instead. How willing are they to let you ride a bike? I was told by 2 salesmen at 2 different dealers that it wouldnt be a problem. Has that been the case with you when you actually take them up on the offer? Honda/yamaha/suzuki don't allow test rides in my area even untill youve actually bought the bike.
That's why I bought the Deuce. The stretched tank is thinner than a standard softail tank but still holds 4.9 gallons.

And as far as test rides go, it's all on who you know. Fortunately the guy I bought my HD from used to be sales manager at the local big 4 dealer and I've bought multiple bikes from him so he knows me and knows I've been riding for a long time. Nothing like trying to test ride a 600cc race rep when you're not even 21 yet.

HD dealers are usually a lot more lenient on their test rides though. A lot of the hold open houses and have models set aside as demo models.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:55 AM
wavesnwheels
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Norms 427

BTW, you should keep your sportbike and add a Harley. Everyone needs more than just one m/cycle. The forumla for the proper number of motorcycles one should own, is: N + 1 where N is the number of bikes you presently own.

I've been out on my sportsbike the last couple of days and I'm not going to sell it. My breakout is great but my kwak satisfies the speed freak in me. I realise I am fortunate to be able to afford both.

Whilst riding it I realised that having 12000 revs in my right hand was something I can't do without. It was then I thought about this thread and wanted to add that if you ride your fz6r to the limiter in each gear you might well miss it, if on the other hand your short shift and enjoy the cruise then go harley.

We don't have the fz6r in this country so I've no idea how fast or powerful it is so can't comment on the bike but will add there is something so right about riding a harley that it never fail's to make me smile.