Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sport bike to harley?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:34 PM
RuJelous
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first bike was a 2001 R6. My second bike was a 2005 R6. My third bike was a 2007 R1. Loved every one of them and every second I rode them. Then I bought a 2006 Night Train and well thats where my love for HD's started. Couldn't get enough of that bike and rode it every chance I got. Now I have a 2010 Softail Deluxe. I honestly haven't met anyone that switched that didn't think they made the right decision. Just my

Old 04-17-2014, 07:45 PM
cwproudfit
6th Gear

i have had and rode many mid 70s kz z1's and i just bought a 07 fatboy and love it no regrets selling off my kz's, still have the z1 that one i wont sell.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:18 PM
PRODUCTofNJ
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow you guys are great- I really didn't expect so many responses that quickly. However, I have to say I was hoping for responses encouraging me to make the switch My dad has 08 Rk classic so of course he's bustin my ***** that I ride a "jap bike" trying to get me to get either a slim or street bob. I think he just wants a second bike to ride I ride a couple times a week if work will allow, on 200-300 mi trips so I think a slim would have to fit the bill better then what I have now.

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
My build thread has a picture of the Daytona 675 I sold when I bought my Deuce. Harleys are slower, heavier, turn worse, have worse clearance, and brake way worse. That being said, I only put about 1000 miles on my 675 when I had it as it was so uncomfortable and I've ridden a lot. One of my favorite bikes was a 2003 R6 that I put about 16k-19k on. When I bought the HD, I put 5k miles on it in the first few months that I had it.

I do miss my sport bikes and I plan on getting a used Speed Triple when I get the space and the cash, but I'm not going to get rid of the HD. The design is so simple that I've done all the work except for my engine upgrade, that's part of the allure. Not to mention there are so many custom options for it that you're easily able to do anything you want with it. Google Dyna cafe racers.
village idiot, I was actually seriously considering an fz09 or a street triple. now that I have been looking at HD's, I cant stop imagining the possibilities of building a café dyna similar to the one roland sands built or getting a slim and building it into a old school/ retro theme. Like someone else said, there are so many options when it comes to accessories for a Harley.. I think that's what makes them so appealing. thank you everyone for all the responses..

Old 04-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

The softails for the most part is a chilled ride, the Dynas are designed more for the aggressive rider. The softails are smooth and comfortable and dyna are fast and aggressive. If you are looking to make the jump I think you will be more into the Dynas because Dyna's are a good mix of a cruiser and a sport bike. Do a test ride and let the ride decide

Old 04-17-2014, 09:06 PM
gnarlyfox001
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

made the jump last year from a 07 R6 to a 04 softail night train and is great, no regrets.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:56 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

I rode sport bikes for years, and put on so many miles that I was starting to get bored with motorcycles. I was also a bit of a maniac, and started having thoughts about mortality. Gave 'em up completely.

Years later, my wife decided that she wanted to start riding, and ride a Harley. So we got her one. I started riding it, and was having a ball, so now we have two.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:18 AM
Chump Change
Intermediate

i had a 2012 sportster 883 then sold that for a 2012 cbr600rr owned that for 3 months and literally was dreading that i sold my HD just picked up a 2008 night train absolutely love it and the weight is balanced so well that you dont even notice it. Welcome to the dark side brother as stated before so many more options to make the bike yours.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:28 AM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Your bike...

Harley Softail...

Any questions?

Old 04-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by yzergod
Your bike...

Harley Softail...

Any questions?
nice

Old 04-18-2014, 10:47 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I moved years ago from a sport bike to cruisers. I love my Heritage. Very comfortable and awesome going down the road. Heavy but so well balanced you never notice. You will notice the brakes, especially if you own a older Softail, and all of them you will notice the total lack of lean angle.

Quick Reply: sport bike to harley?