Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sport bike to harley?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 06:02 PM
PRODUCTofNJ
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sport bike to harley?

I've been seriously thinking about getting a Harley in the next couple weeks. Currently I'm riding an a yamaha fz6r..and while not the fastest bike, I like it because it handles well as it is pretty light. I've been thinking about getting a slim or a streetbob. I really like the low seating position on the slim along with the style of the bike. Being that I'm 140 and 5'7" my main concern is basicaly that I'd find the slim/street bob too heavy and regret the purchase. My question is, has anyone here made the switch to a Harley from sport bike and been happy with their decision? I've riden a 1200 custom and the suspension was absolutely awful. Would a softtail ride a lot better? I'll be taking a test ride within the next week

Old 04-17-2014, 06:18 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

A... no Hd will handle like any Sports Bike...

B.. A Softail has as good of balance and better than most any other HD.. and better than some Sports Bike's..

C.. How many SB's or CR's owner have switched to a HD and loved them.. OHhhh about a Million or 5 million....

Seriously.. DO a (Google "SEARCH").. on any thing you want to know about HD''s.. most will refer you right back to the HDF...

Closest I had to a CR in my 49 yrs of riding was I had 2 Honda's CB 750's back in the 70's, Then I bought a GW 1000 and put a WindJammer and Bags on it.. Since then I've had 11 other bikes, all had shields or fairing and bags, some with touring boxes

The comfort of a shield and having bags to store things,, I haven't been one bit sorry since I made the change..

We love to Putt around in the country side, just the wife and I, we JUST enjoy the ride,, Not having to be in a Rush to get to somewhere.

IF you haven't done much of that,, then IMO your missing what Motor-Cycling is all about.

I don't know your age or what your wants or needs are.. so what I've said is just My Opinon..

Believe me,, if YOUr a young-un.. your like and dislikes will change as you age..

just an old fart.. whose been there and done that more than most others have....

/

Last edited by oct1949; 04-17-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:22 PM
Tracker56
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

If you're really serious about switching to a Harley, find a dealer near you that has rental bikes and try one for a weekend. No better way than the "seat of the pants" test!

Old 04-17-2014, 06:27 PM
gsrsilv
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a gsxr750 to a switchback. Well actually I kept the gsxr but there is no regrets with my purchase. I actually ride the switchback the most. I'm 5'6 and have no problems

Old 04-17-2014, 06:50 PM
Riderteck
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode my 2006 kawasaki zx10r for 7yrs before i sold it for a 14 softail Breakout and don't regret it one bit

Old 04-17-2014, 07:02 PM
Johnny Goodlife
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Went from a GSXR 750 to a 09 Deluxe and I'm happy. I was pretty surprised at the power they had when my friend let me ride his Heritage.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:06 PM
porschedog
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

As suggested above, try a rental for a weekend to see how it goes.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:10 PM
bad2dabonez
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from a 2006 GSXR 1000 to a FLSTSB Crossbones with 18in apes and dont regret it one bit. I also kept my GSXR but, honestly I never ride it any more. The bones fits me better as I'm 6'4" 230 lbs. Good luck on what ever you choose.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:15 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I'm 5'5", female and old and have 2 Softails and used to have a Street Glide. Don't worry about the weight of the bikes.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:30 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

My build thread has a picture of the Daytona 675 I sold when I bought my Deuce. Harleys are slower, heavier, turn worse, have worse clearance, and brake way worse. That being said, I only put about 1000 miles on my 675 when I had it as it was so uncomfortable and I've ridden a lot. One of my favorite bikes was a 2003 R6 that I put about 16k-19k on. When I bought the HD, I put 5k miles on it in the first few months that I had it.

I do miss my sport bikes and I plan on getting a used Speed Triple when I get the space and the cash, but I'm not going to get rid of the HD. The design is so simple that I've done all the work except for my engine upgrade, that's part of the allure. Not to mention there are so many custom options for it that you're easily able to do anything you want with it. Google Dyna cafe racers.

Quick Reply: sport bike to harley?