Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A REAL horn for Breakout?

Old 04-20-2014, 09:47 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

Ok, I found what looks like (per customer reviews) a good loud horn that is also small enough to fit easily, and whose installation is a breeze.

See:

Amazon.com: PIAA 76501 500Hz Slim Line Sports Horn: Automotive Amazon.com: PIAA 76501 500Hz Slim Line Sports Horn: Automotive

This PIAA Slimline horn is actually just a tiny bit smaller in diameter than the stock (3 3/4" diameter) Breakout horn, and not appreciably thicker (study the ACTUAL depth of the stock horn and you'll see why). It will bolt right on to the same mount hole as the stock horn. It will accept the stock connectors. It is described as a "115db" horn, but as the following article shows, these manufacturer ratings mean nothing:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...comparison.htm

What counts is the actual user feedback. All but one of the users on the Amazon review site was impressed.

And, the price, at $50 shipped via Amazon Prime, is no issue.

Here's the best part: Because the horn is actually tiny bit smaller in diameter than the stock horn, it is POSSIBLE that the stock chrome cover on the stock horn could be mounted to the face of this horn, via a dab of silicone, so that it would be resistant to vibration, AND removable if you don't like the look.

I have one on order, and will report back on actual installation and actual sound level and tone, once I have it in hand.

Jim G

p.s. The thickness of a horn is important in that mounting position, as the front fender moves significantly upward and rearward on severe bumps, so a horn that is appreciably thicker could hit it.

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 04-20-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:37 AM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interested to hear the results. Keep us posted.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:50 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Well the PIAA horn is not a good solution. It is the right size, but:

- It is not THAT much louder than the stock Breakout horn

- You need to either re-route or extend the wiring to the horn to reach it because of the location of the electrical terminals on the PIAA horn, and either re-routing or extending would look crappy given the location, and the proximity of the wiring terminals to the hot forward exhaust header

- The instructions say you must not untighten the mounting screw that secures the horn to its mounting bracket as that would apparently take the entire horn apart and will either distort or completely destroy its ability to make sound. That means it MUST end up in exactly the wrong spot, where it is right by the upper frame joint, and combined with that joint, reallyy shields the front cylinder head from cooling air - never a good thing on a Harley.

After taking measurements and evaluating the outcome if I went ahead, I returned the horn, and will look for a different solution.

Jim G

Old 04-25-2014, 01:14 PM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Every "louder" HD horn I've tried has sucked.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:26 PM
BlacklinePaul
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Blackline, which suffers the same problem with the anemic horn.

This is the one i went with. It bolted right on and to make it less noticable I just bent the bracket back toward the motor a little.

Amazon Amazon

Old 04-25-2014, 01:57 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BlacklinePaul
I have a Blackline, which suffers the same problem with the anemic horn.

This is the one i went with. It bolted right on and to make it less noticable I just bent the bracket back toward the motor a little.

http://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-72112-Fr...otorcycle+horn
Is the Blackline horn mounting similar to the Breakout?

Jim G

Old 04-25-2014, 02:18 PM
Robbysride
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used mine a couple days ago. Didn't really know what it sounded like. But it worked. I have always disliked the way they looked though.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:26 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,054 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
And why Harleys have little "beep" sounding horns, I don't know. It's almost embarrassing.
............... ,

Old 04-25-2014, 07:52 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's the horn for again? Been three years since I had one, and don't think I ever used it before that.

Oh yeah, it's to let your buddies know that you're out front waiting on them....

Needless to say, my stock train horn might be in the crate of old parts in the garage if anyone wants it...

Old 04-26-2014, 05:17 AM
MikeZ
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

OP (Jim), I had the same issue with my Sporty a couple of years ago. My solution was to remove the old horn and install a stock V Twin "cowbell" horn between the cylinders. HD sells the horn and bracket in the Accessories Catalog. You can get an aftermarket cover if you don't like the Plain Jane look. As I recall, I think the tank needed to be removed to reroute the wires, and I had a local wrench do the job and it took less than a half hour.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A REAL horn for Breakout?