Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID install. WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:06 PM
s5051
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
According to site you posted, it isn't out yet. And price with bi xenon is more than a Daymaker and you will still need to hide a ballast.
You are correct, one is not available yet, but the other model is available. Look under "Projectors"

Old 04-23-2014, 09:06 PM
Pudge211
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased a kit off eBay about a year ago for $38 after reading a write up by Motown Strag. It was a 35watt HID Motorcycle Hi-Low H4 6000k with slim ballast. I also added a 10 second delay relay purchased from Retro Solutions off eBay. I wired the relay into the Hid harness. I wanted to still be able to just stop and purchase a H4 bulb if the hid went out on me. The hid setup came straight from Hong Kong. I am adding a pic of how I wired the relay.

Attached Thumbnails HID install. WOW!-image.jpg  
Old 10-20-2014, 01:27 PM
prican_2000
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pudge211
I purchased a kit off eBay about a year ago for $38 after reading a write up by Motown Strag. It was a 35watt HID Motorcycle Hi-Low H4 6000k with slim ballast. I also added a 10 second delay relay purchased from Retro Solutions off eBay. I wired the relay into the Hid harness. I wanted to still be able to just stop and purchase a H4 bulb if the hid went out on me. The hid setup came straight from Hong Kong. I am adding a pic of how I wired the relay.
Thanks for sharing that pic - i am thinking of doing this myself soon and I just wanted to know - did you just cut the HID harness and then wire the 10sec delay relay? so essentially it would be OEM HD wiring into the HID harness that was cut/spliced for the Relay then onto the other end of the HID harness and finally into the bulb? hopefully you understand what I just said.

Thanks

Old 10-20-2014, 03:42 PM
wildman926
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used HID for 4 years on my sport bike, and 1 year on my Harley without a relay with no issues.

Last edited by wildman926; 10-21-2014 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Got to typing too fast....
Old 10-20-2014, 04:14 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by wildman926
I have used HID for 4 years on my sport bike, and 1 year on my Harley without a ballast with no issues.
How do you run an HID without a ballast?

Old 10-20-2014, 06:49 PM
prican_2000
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 24v
How do you run an HID without a ballast?

I would like to know the same thing.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:24 PM
MNtadpole
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default My thoughts...

I think its a bad idea to install this HID kits in to factory reflector housings...period. That goes for both cars and bikes. That fact of the matter is that even though you can adjust the angle of the oem reflector housing on a bike and car, there is still the stray light that will leak out and blast on-coming traffic. These HIDs were originally installed in projector housings for this very reason...as the projector gives the light exact cutouts and doesn't use reflective properties to do so. I can understand wanting to be safe as a motorcycle rider, putting out as many lumens as possible to see and be seen. Just take into consideration that you will most likely be dazzling on-coming traffic with your lights...and not in a positive way.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:38 PM
teeroy_
Road Warrior
Received 265 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by MNtadpole
I think its a bad idea to install this HID kits in to factory reflector housings...period. That goes for both cars and bikes. That fact of the matter is that even though you can adjust the angle of the oem reflector housing on a bike and car, there is still the stray light that will leak out and blast on-coming traffic. These HIDs were originally installed in projector housings for this very reason...as the projector gives the light exact cutouts and doesn't use reflective properties to do so. I can understand wanting to be safe as a motorcycle rider, putting out as many lumens as possible to see and be seen. Just take into consideration that you will most likely be dazzling on-coming traffic with your lights...and not in a positive way.
well said. the only good reason to run HID's in a reflector housing is to be seen. without an aspheric lens to properly aim the light, their benefit is not fully realized. as well as the scattered light issue blinding oncoming drivers at night.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:03 AM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by wildman926
I have used HID for 4 years on my sport bike, and 1 year on my Harley without a ballast with no issues.
Mmmmmm, not buying that one...

Many lights are marketed with "HID" in the advertising--they are not all HID's.

HID "bulbs" aren't really a bulb in the traditional sense, because there is no filament that gets hot and glows to make the light shine. They are more of an arc chamber in the middle of a thin glass tube--no filament.

The energy needed to begin and maintain the arc requires certain modifications to any standard vehicle's lighting system. These items are usually found all together in the kits described above, in various configurations.

One thing that they will all have though, is a ballast for each light. With some designs (Phillips PHID's, for example), the ballast is integrated into the back of the light housing, but these types do not fit into existing headlight housings without severe modification. They work well as an external, stand-alone spotlight of sorts.

The size of ballasts range from smaller than a deck of cards, to nearly four times that size, depending on manufacturer.

The set I installed today for a customer had the smallest harness I've ever seen yet, with the Hi/Lo switching integrated into the harness (no additional lumps of plastic in the harness), and the smallest slim ballasts I've seen yet.

All the best,

Shane

Last edited by Shanebo; 10-21-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:26 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Shanebo

The set I installed today for a customer had the smallest harness I've ever seen yet, with the Hi/Lo switching integrated into the harness (no additional lumps of plastic in the harness), and the smallest slim ballasts I've seen yet.

All the best,

Shane
mind sharing which brand it was and on which bike you installed it on please. Thanks brother!

ps: on coming cagers are the worst when it comes to dazzling oncoming motorists of all kinds.
I typically bite the bullet and turn my brights of my Slim. Even though I can barely see.

Quick Reply: HID install. WOW!