Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching from V&H BSS to Pro Pipe Chrome

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 06:26 PM
CraigB1960
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghoticov
100% sure I can ride it without a new tune without doing any damage? Can I get that in writing? Lol I am just worried that what if just changing the pipe makes it run really rich and messes up the front pipe...or something along those lines.

I will post the comparison dyno for sure. I havent been able to find anyone that has a comparable dyno with the BSS versus the Pro Pipe on the same bike with the only thing changing was the pipes.
If you are that worried about it, can you not wait a couple more days to change the pipe until after the ride? Did you ask your tuner?

Last edited by CraigB1960; 04-21-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:32 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by txphatboy
I'd wait. Why risk discoloring the new pipe? Also, you will probably worry about it most of the ride and it will take away from enjoying the ride. Keep the BSS on - it will give you one good last ride to pay extra attention to how it rides now, so you can better compare to how the new pipe affect the ride.

I hope you have better luck with your torque dip than I did. I went 2-1 and still have a nasty torque dip. Maybe the Bassani RR 2-1 short is just too short? Still think about a Fatcat, but don't want to mess with retuning any time soon. Curious to see what gains you experience, as I had BSS on my bike when I purchased it and bike pulled really strong down low. Changed cams, then exhaust, then big bore, more pipes, etc., etc, but have never got that real strong bottom end back.
Yea, I think im gonna just wait...better safe than sorry.

Crazy you had the BSS and went to the Bassani RR and you LOST torque down low? That makes no sense at all. Lol

Old 04-21-2014, 06:34 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by CraigB1960
If you are that worried about it, can you not wait a couple more days to change the pipe until after the ride? Did you ask your tuner?
Yes, I can wait and I am going to. And yes, my tuner said he had no idea if he would hurt or not (obvisouly not wanting to say it would be ok and then if I have a problem coming back to him saying "but you said... "). Lol So I expected him to say what he did. I was more curious as to hear people that have done it.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:44 PM
txphatboy
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

I had BSS, then V&H Big Radius 2-1, then Bassani Pro Streets 2-2 - none ever felt as strong as BSS down low, but the cam change was probably a bigger factor than pipes. I had problems with ProStreets always loosening at the heads and was chasing power, so I got a Fatcat. Never really got it tuned in just right and barely got to ride it before I got hit by truck and pipe was totaled.

I had a slight torque dip with the V&H Big Radius. Worse dip with ProStreets, and everything on dyno sheet moved to the right. I thought going back to 2-1 would move torque back to left, but not like I had hoped. I had done several engine mods during these times, unfortunately, so I was never able to do much direct comparisons of dyno runs, except for V&H BR 2-1 vs Bassani ProStreet. Looking forward to yours.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:53 PM
teflon
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey man what u want for the v&h?? shipped to Michigan Teflon

Old 04-21-2014, 10:59 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by txphatboy
I had BSS, then V&H Big Radius 2-1, then Bassani Pro Streets 2-2 - none ever felt as strong as BSS down low, but the cam change was probably a bigger factor than pipes. I had problems with ProStreets always loosening at the heads and was chasing power, so I got a Fatcat. Never really got it tuned in just right and barely got to ride it before I got hit by truck and pipe was totaled.

I had a slight torque dip with the V&H Big Radius. Worse dip with ProStreets, and everything on dyno sheet moved to the right. I thought going back to 2-1 would move torque back to left, but not like I had hoped. I had done several engine mods during these times, unfortunately, so I was never able to do much direct comparisons of dyno runs, except for V&H BR 2-1 vs Bassani ProStreet. Looking forward to yours.
Ahhhh I see now. You had many changes after the BSS so its hard to get a good idea of the comparison from one to the other.

I will post the dyno next Tuesdwy once its done.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:01 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by teflon
hey man what u want for the v&h?? shipped to Michigan Teflon
I responded to your PM. I am open to offers and if they are too low I will go the ebay route (which is what I was going to do anyway, along with listing them here).

Old 04-22-2014, 02:35 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The propipe is covered with a full heat shield so you not going to discolor it. Plus I was running mine with an open A/C without a tuner 12 hard miles to the tuners and it actually ran pretty good. Either way, it will all be good and your going to love it.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:24 PM
cpc0812
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ghoticov
Did you dyno it before and after? If so, what kind of gains did you see? Also, do the BSL's have the cross over chamber like the BSS?
Yes the BSL's have the crossover chamber. I did gain 10hp and about 7 tq but I also did new heads and throttle body. How much of that was the pipe, IDK. You will like it.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:14 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rooti
The propipe is covered with a full heat shield so you not going to discolor it. Plus I was running mine with an open A/C without a tuner 12 hard miles to the tuners and it actually ran pretty good. Either way, it will all be good and your going to love it.
Talked to my tuner today and he said he MIGHT be able to squeeze me in since its not really a full tune. He just needs to fine tune it for the new pipe but the tune is probably close anyway. Hopefully he gets to me in the next few days.

Originally Posted by cpc0812
Yes the BSL's have the crossover chamber. I did gain 10hp and about 7 tq but I also did new heads and throttle body. How much of that was the pipe, IDK. You will like it.
ahhhh...well, I will have a straight comparison so it will be good to see. I honestly doubt I get any more torque but maybe a few more hps. But as long as my torque curve moves down more to the 3000 - 4000 range I will be happy.

Quick Reply: Switching from V&H BSS to Pro Pipe Chrome