Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching from V&H BSS to Pro Pipe Chrome

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 10:38 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Switching from V&H BSS to Pro Pipe Chrome

Question for you guys...

Right now, I have a 107" with 10.75:1 pistons and EZ Start 574 Cams with the Vance and Hines Big Shot Staggered (which I am going to sell and are in my sig below).

I was hoping to install the new Pro Pipe on Friday. But I have a ride coming up on Saturday and I can't get it re-tuned (on a dyno) until the following Tuesday. The same person that did my tune with the kit above is going to do the re-tune and said it would take a few hours to re-tune for the Pro Pipe.

Would you risk running the bike with the new Pro Pipe on the ride Saturday or wait to install them until it can be re-tuned. Of course, I don't want to screw anything up so my thought is to wait but just curious if anyone has ran a bike with just a pipe change and experienced any problems.

*** UPDATE ******

Here is the post with the BSS vs Pro Pipe comparison:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/12635828-post34.html

Last edited by ghoticov; 04-24-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:28 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 631 Posts

... Why ya Switchin , New Look . ?

Old 04-21-2014, 02:36 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It will be fine...nothing to even think about. You could probably even get away with not retuning it, but I think you are going the smart way with your build. Your going to love the sound difference and you may pick up a little power and torque, even though you were running one of the best 2-2's on the market for performance

Old 04-21-2014, 03:23 PM
cpc0812
Road Captain

You're gonna love that pro-pipe. It shouldn't be as loud as the BSS but it still sounds awesome. I went from BSL's to the pro-pipe and love it. Let us know how you like it and of course pics.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:21 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dennyo
... Why ya Switchin , New Look . ?
New look and better performance. I got a deal on it so I couldn't pass it up.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:24 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rooti
It will be fine...nothing to even think about. You could probably even get away with not retuning it, but I think you are going the smart way with your build. Your going to love the sound difference and you may pick up a little power and torque, even though you were running one of the best 2-2's on the market for performance
That's the word that scares me... I PROBABLY could get away with it. LOL

Yea, I have read that the BSS is one of the best, if not THE best, 2-2 pipes...thats why I bought it. Plus I do like the looks of it. But I am hoping to get rid of a dip in my torque curve by going with the Pro Pipe. Here is my dyno with the BSS. See that dip?

Old 04-21-2014, 05:24 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by cpc0812
You're gonna love that pro-pipe. It shouldn't be as loud as the BSS but it still sounds awesome. I went from BSL's to the pro-pipe and love it. Let us know how you like it and of course pics.
Did you dyno it before and after? If so, what kind of gains did you see? Also, do the BSL's have the cross over chamber like the BSS?

Old 04-21-2014, 05:41 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The "probably" was on having to retune it. 100% it will be ok to ride with the tune that you currently have. Feel better now? lol

Please post the new dyna to show what happened to the curve. I'm guessing your numbers won't change much, but I suspect the curve will straighten out.

Last edited by rooti; 04-21-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:58 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Wink

Originally Posted by rooti
The "probably" was on having to retune it. 100% it will be ok to ride with the tune that you currently have. Feel better now? lol

Please post the new dyna to show what happened to the curve. I'm guessing your numbers won't change much, but I suspect the curve will straighten out.
100% sure I can ride it without a new tune without doing any damage? Can I get that in writing? Lol I am just worried that what if just changing the pipe makes it run really rich and messes up the front pipe...or something along those lines.

I will post the comparison dyno for sure. I havent been able to find anyone that has a comparable dyno with the BSS versus the Pro Pipe on the same bike with the only thing changing was the pipes.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:21 PM
txphatboy
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

I'd wait. Why risk discoloring the new pipe? Also, you will probably worry about it most of the ride and it will take away from enjoying the ride. Keep the BSS on - it will give you one good last ride to pay extra attention to how it rides now, so you can better compare to how the new pipe affect the ride.

I hope you have better luck with your torque dip than I did. I went 2-1 and still have a nasty torque dip. Maybe the Bassani RR 2-1 short is just too short? Still think about a Fatcat, but don't want to mess with retuning any time soon. Curious to see what gains you experience, as I had BSS on my bike when I purchased it and bike pulled really strong down low. Changed cams, then exhaust, then big bore, more pipes, etc., etc, but have never got that real strong bottom end back.

Quick Reply: Switching from V&H BSS to Pro Pipe Chrome