Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true duals and burnt left leg

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by what_the?!
im talking about when you put your legs down... maybe its cos my legs are weight trained? (ive been at it for 20+ years)...im thinking that my hamstrings are just too large...
Originally Posted by tbonetony06
... I can also tell you that if you lower your bike it will reposition how you sit when your feet are down...
Originally Posted by bc419
... I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam. I can't set my left foot down flat...
I believe the main cause is the length of your.......... inseam. This is reported more in riders with short legs. The shorter your leg, the more vertical it must be when stopped placing it closer to the head pipe. I would imagine if your thighs are the size of an average mans waist then it may factor in as well.

Tbonetony06 and bc419 support my hypothesis. Lowering your bike effectively lengthens your inseam. bc419 is 5'10" with a 32" inseam and can't place his feet flat on the ground. I'm 5'9" with a 34" inseam and I place my feet flat on the ground far forward of my seat. My thighs don't come close to the left pipe.

Nonetheless, give the crotch cooler and pipe wrap a try. It would be a shame to give up the true duals. Good luck.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:18 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No problems here with the Samson duals with bike lowered 1 3/4" and Le Pera Bare Bones.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:15 PM
dyolfknip
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

thanks for all the replies... my ride is 2" lowered front and rear..before i fork out the bux for a new set of pipes, im going to try both the crotch cooler and also adhering exhaust wrap under the heat shield. if neither or both of these combined dont work, then ill try new pipes...ceramic is something im not too keen on, mainly because theres nowhere around here that does it. the foot up thing is also what ive been doing, but that doesnt help on hill starts.
What does your left leg do on hill starts? **** I run a jockey and I NEED to have my left foot up working the clutch.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:01 PM
what_the?!
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
What does your left leg do on hill starts? **** I run a jockey and I NEED to have my left foot up working the clutch.
Right foot on brake.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:56 PM
dyolfknip
Road Master

Right foot on brake.
You're riding wrong. You should be able to find the grab point with your clutch hand and not even use a brake. At worst you use your front brake concurrently.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:00 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo, Not a Vicla tapped up!!! Bummer but if that's what you have to do, then you have to do it. I would try everything else out first. Good luck Dude.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:39 AM
what_the?!
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
You're riding wrong. You should be able to find the grab point with your clutch hand and not even use a brake. At worst you use your front brake concurrently.
.if you stall then you are rolling backwards. and how do you use the front brake if you are rolling the throttle?

the rear brake is the correct, and safest method. its the method taught in any riding school.

sure, what you say can be done, but if you are doing it that way you can end up on the grab point for ages, or rocking back and forth either side of it. its a sure fire way to a wrist pump also.

to do a hill start out of neutral (so you dont end up ages on the clutch lever), you have right foot on ground, engage clutch, change gear to 1st, put left foot on ground, right foot on brake, apply throttle and release clutch whilst maintaining enough right brake to avoid rolling backwards. dragging the right brake is also taught as a control for low speeds.

thats why its important, at least to me, to be able to put my left foot on the ground. its also important to have 2 feet on the ground when stopped.. its also a nice feature to be able to put my left foot down if i ever needed to do it- for any reason. not putting the left foot down, isnt really a suitable option.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:40 AM
dyolfknip
Road Master

.if you stall then you are rolling backwards. and how do you use the front brake if you are rolling the throttle?

the rear brake is the correct, and safest method. its the method taught in any riding school.

sure, what you say can be done, but if you are doing it that way you can end up on the grab point for ages, or rocking back and forth either side of it. its a sure fire way to a wrist pump also.

to do a hill start out of neutral (so you dont end up ages on the clutch lever), you have right foot on ground, engage clutch, change gear to 1st, put left foot on ground, right foot on brake, apply throttle and release clutch whilst maintaining enough right brake to avoid rolling backwards. dragging the right brake is also taught as a control for low speeds.

thats why its important, at least to me, to be able to put my left foot on the ground. its also important to have 2 feet on the ground when stopped.. its also a nice feature to be able to put my left foot down if i ever needed to do it- for any reason. not putting the left foot down, isnt really a suitable option.
The reason it is taught that way is because it is the easiest way to learn it. Same deal with cars and using an emergency brake to do a hill start.....it is taught that way for beginners.

I guess I have just gotten used to it with a foot clutch. I am also able to roll my throttle a bit while hitting front brake in the case of a larger hill. Or if I dont want to ride my clutch. ( and so be COMPLETELY honest, after riding with my jockey, even for the last 6 months, I have turned into an idiot with a "normal" bike.....I had to move a friends 1200 GS into his garage the other day and the first thing I did was "push my clutch in" and promptly stalled it cause I was actually putting it into first gear and not using the hand clutch)

Even with the foot clutch, I can still put my foot down in an emergency, it just stalls out. Coming to a stop light, I just kick it into neutral at the end of the stop and put both feet down. I rode the Nuburgring the other day with like 12000 other bikes funneled into 2 lanes at the end and stalled it about 4 times due to the sheer number of starts and stops and trying to wedge my way into the line up. When I talked to my friends, they had the same problem with a hand clutch, if not stalling it more than me.

Anyway, I digress, cause this really doesn't help the whole "I am burning my leg off" situation for you. I can say that wrapping the pipe will lessen the heat, but it would be negligible....your best bet I guess would be a Crotch Cooler......

Old 05-24-2014, 02:40 AM
Starwarrior
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How did exhaust wrap between the heat shield and the pipe work out for you?

Old 05-24-2014, 07:22 AM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

My bike is lowered a couple of inches, and I have the Freedom Performance duals. My leg NEVER touches the pipe. Now, my friend has Python's on his Fatboy. I straddled his bike one day and got the sheite burnt out of my leg. I mean 2nd degree easily. Took a month to heal. When I compare his to mine, mine look like they hug the contour of the primary more so than his does. Like I said though, my bike is lowered.

Quick Reply: true duals and burnt left leg