Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true duals and burnt left leg

Old 04-24-2014, 03:35 PM
what_the?!
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default true duals and burnt left leg

i have some v&h duals on my deluxe 2012 and the header virtually touches my left leg.

in fact it touches it.

does anyone know if other manufacturer's pipes touch?- stick out as far?

ive read that this is a pretty well known thing..wish i'd seen it before buying them..

im now thinking ill buy a different set..cos its a royal pain to try to avoid the pipe.

samson?, freedom?, rinehart?..any others?

please help.

cheers,
tim

Old 04-24-2014, 03:47 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

You might try a Crotch Cooler from Capt. Itch. It pretty much shields your leg right where your seat meets the gas tank....

Old 04-24-2014, 03:48 PM
what_the?!
Advanced

Originally Posted by hdgzr
You might try a Crotch Cooler from Capt. Itch. It pretty much shields your leg right where your seat meets the gas tank....
any pics of it installed?...seems to me to really spoil any level of cool that the duals might have...

Old 04-24-2014, 03:56 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

I have V&H True Duals on an '09 Deluxe and do not have the heat issue at all. I do have HarleyGoodies extensions on the the floorboards and typically ride with my heels on the floorboard and top of my feet on the highway pegs. I don't have any issue with heat from the pipes other than the typical Harley heat. SJ Ron

Old 04-24-2014, 03:59 PM
what_the?!
Advanced

Originally Posted by SanJuanRon
I have V&H True Duals on an '09 Deluxe and do not have the heat issue at all. I do have HarleyGoodies extensions on the the floorboards and typically ride with my heels on the floorboard and top of my feet on the highway pegs. I don't have any issue with heat from the pipes other than the typical Harley heat. SJ Ron
im talking about when you put your legs down... maybe its cos my legs are weight trained? (ive been at it for 20+ years)...im thinking that my hamstrings are just too large...but before i buy a different set of pipes, im trying to find out if the other player's products are going to be any different..seems to me that it is possible to have the pipes closer to the body...

all the replies are adding up though..thank you!

Old 04-24-2014, 04:01 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

Here you go; there's several pictures available from this link...
http://shop.captain-itch.com/Crotch-...671460_c36.htm

Old 04-24-2014, 04:16 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

06 Deluxe with Samson true duals and no issues. I had read many threads though prior to me getting these pipes and many complained about the same thing as you. So to avoid any POSSIBLE heat issues I had my 3 head pipes ceramic coated before the install.

I can also tell you that if you lower your bike it will reposition how you sit when your feet are down. Example, I have air ride and if I push my bike all the way up it pulls my thigh in closer to the pipe. If I slam the bike it pushes my leg out more and away from the pipe. That's not to say go get air ride but dropping it a few inches with a lowering kit and I am betting it will make a difference.

Last option, leave your left foot on the pegs or boards when stopped using your right foot only to hold yourself up when stopped. Good luck!

Old 04-24-2014, 04:22 PM
what_the?!
Advanced

thanks for all the replies... my ride is 2" lowered front and rear..before i fork out the bux for a new set of pipes, im going to try both the crotch cooler and also adhering exhaust wrap under the heat shield. if neither or both of these combined dont work, then ill try new pipes...ceramic is something im not too keen on, mainly because theres nowhere around here that does it. the foot up thing is also what ive been doing, but that doesnt help on hill starts.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:48 PM
bc419
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same thing happens to me. I also have V&H true duals. My bike is not lowered. I found out the hard way that side sticks out when I first put on the pipes & took it for a spin around the block while wearing shorts. Ouch! I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam. I can't set my left foot down flat - the only way for me to avoid burning my leg is to be on my toes. Sometimes I just leave my left leg on the footboard & just use my right leg when stopped. lol. I've been meaning to see if I can move that part of the pipe closer to the bike, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I don't think the crotch cool is going to help this issue. I have thought about getting the crotch cooler for what it's intended for (heat coming from the engine & cooking your *****). The additional wrap sounds like it would be a better solution.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:53 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Heat

I am short but do not have that problem. I do have the floor board extensions which should help a bit and I thing the width of your seat may make a difference

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: true duals and burnt left leg