Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal/Brake light switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 04:30 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 752 Likes on 460 Posts
Default Turn signal/Brake light switch

My 09 Heritage has the LED turn signals and brake lights. I just figured out that the rear turn signals illuminate when I apply the brakes.

I'm wondering if there is a controller some place on the bike that allows the turn signals to work as brake lights.
I've looked but can't find anything related.

Is there a way to set this up without a controller or is there a controller hidden somewhere?

Old 05-23-2014, 06:29 PM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should be plugged in somewhere under the seat. I don't use one but have friends that do.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:32 PM
jmn1960
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

u can pull the 1156 bulbs and then pull the single wire pigtails ,, go buy two wire pigtais and some 1157 bulbs and hard wire into the brake and running light ,, thats what i did on my 2005 ultra ,, works like a champ

Old 05-23-2014, 07:26 PM
rbeamj
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If yours is currently working as both brake and turn signals then yes there is an add on controller. It will most likely be under the seat near the rear on the right side if facing forward. That connector there is where the lights plug into

Old 05-23-2014, 07:38 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
My 09 Heritage has the LED turn signals and brake lights. I just figured out that the rear turn signals illuminate when I apply the brakes.

I'm wondering if there is a controller some place on the bike that allows the turn signals to work as brake lights.
I've looked but can't find anything related.

Is there a way to set this up without a controller or is there a controller hidden somewhere?
If your rear LED turn signals are HD and they were wired per their instructions, they should function as running lights in addition to your brake light and turn signals. They are meant to function this way. There is no separate controller. It is wired into the lights themselves. If I recall correctly, they don't mention this in the big or the small print. It eliminates the need for HD's separate harness: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...conversion-kit which saves you about $70.

To set it up without this function, you would have to alter the wiring. The wiring diagram is part of the instructions for the LED turn signals: http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04805.pdf

Now, if your turn signals are not running lights as well, there is either a control module or they were hard wired. If they are functioning as you would like, what is the difference if there is a control module or not? If you don't want them to function as brake lights... why? If you want to look for a module, I would first look where Gman and rbeamj noted; under the seat.

Originally Posted by jmn1960
u can pull the 1156 bulbs and then pull the single wire pigtails ,, go buy two wire pigtais and some 1157 bulbs and hard wire into the brake and running light ,, thats what i did on my 2005 ultra ,, works like a champ
She has LED turn signals. There are no 1156 bulbs.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:13 PM
jmn1960
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
If your rear LED turn signals are HD and they were wired per their instructions, they should function as running lights in addition to your brake light and turn signals. They are meant to function this way. There is no separate controller. It is wired into the lights themselves. If I recall correctly, they don't mention this in the big or the small print. It eliminates the need for HD's separate harness: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...conversion-kit which saves you about $70.

To set it up without this function, you would have to alter the wiring. The wiring diagram is part of the instructions for the LED turn signals: http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04805.pdf

Now, if your turn signals are not running lights as well, there is either a control module or they were hard wired. If they are functioning as you would like, what is the difference if there is a control module or not? If you don't want them to function as brake lights... why? If you want to look for a module, I would first look where Gman and rbeamj noted; under the seat.

She has LED turn signals. There are no 1156 bulbs.
oops
sorry missed that part

Old 05-23-2014, 09:16 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Bone Doc is probably correct.

The "red" turn signals are also running lights.

What got me wondering was I saw a controller that allowed the rear lights to pulsate prior to going solid, but you could also configure them to not pulsate.

I was just wondering if I had such a controller, but apparently not.

Thanks,

Old 05-23-2014, 09:46 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
Bone Doc is probably correct.

The "red" turn signals are also running lights.

What got me wondering was I saw a controller that allowed the rear lights to pulsate prior to going solid, but you could also configure them to not pulsate.

I was just wondering if I had such a controller, but apparently not.

Thanks,
Bluraven,

I use this brake light modulator. It is plug-n-play and installs in minutes. There are several patterns to choose from.

http://www.customdynamics.com/motorc...ht_flasher.htm

Even though your turn signals function with the brake lights, the modulator only flashes the brake light. It is compatible with LEDs.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:07 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Thanks Bone Doc.
I doubt I'll upgrade to it, I was only wondering if I had a modulator.