Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank lift on a Fatboy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:55 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,246 Likes on 8,381 Posts
Default Tank lift on a Fatboy?

My sig bike now has a windshield from National Cycles (Switchblade), and while it does mostly what it is supposed to, I still get lots of wind buffeting at highway speeds. I wear a FF helmet, but even with that the buffeting is still annoying. Has anyone tried a tank lift on my model bike, and will it do any good in stopping the buffeting? I hate fangs because they are fugly, and I feel they would greatly reduce the good looks of my ride, even though they do a lot to greatly reduce this effect (I had fangs on my Dyna).

Old 05-25-2014, 11:00 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think a tank lift will do anything for buffeting. I didn't notice it make a difference on my Deuce at least. Arm position (handlebars) and helmet choice can make a bigger difference IMO.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:15 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
I don't think a tank lift will do anything for buffeting. I didn't notice it make a difference on my Deuce at least. Arm position (handlebars) and helmet choice can make a bigger difference IMO.
Thanks for your input. I plan to get apes down the road, but I can`t afford them yet. `Was hoping a tank lift would help. I can put my forearm across the opening between the front of the tank and the handlebars and pretty much stop the buffeting, so that`s why I thought a tank lift might work. I still can`t get past getting fangs, though.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:33 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a tank lift on my fatboy lo for about a year, it didn't change any buffeting with a windshield on (vs. no lift kit)

Old 05-26-2014, 10:44 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

2" lift on my tank has made no difference at all.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:28 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Some windshield and FF helmet combos result in buffet. Try a different one like a half helmet and see if that changes anything.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:59 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by _Gir_
Some windshield and FF helmet combos result in buffet. Try a different one like a half helmet and see if that changes anything.
Or the lift effect gets worse while a safety compromise occurs. Better to try a different windshield..

Old 05-27-2014, 09:16 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by _Gir_
Okay, I have a 3/4 face helmet that I`ll try, although I like my FF better. Thanks Y`all for the valuable input which saved me a few bucks from buying a tank lift. I`ll probably suffer a little longer without fangs in future.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:24 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
My sig bike now has a windshield from National Cycles (Switchblade), and while it does mostly what it is supposed to, I still get lots of wind buffeting at highway speeds. I wear a FF helmet, but even with that the buffeting is still annoying. Has anyone tried a tank lift on my model bike, and will it do any good in stopping the buffeting? I hate fangs because they are fugly, and I feel they would greatly reduce the good looks of my ride, even though they do a lot to greatly reduce this effect (I had fangs on my Dyna).
Check out this thread-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...lift-this.html

Lots' of guys do get a reduction in buffeting with a tank lift. There is definitely less air coming over the top of the tank....being re-directed over the engine and making it run cooler.

There are so many variables, windshield, how you sit, helmet, etc., it is impossible to know, without trying, if it will reduce, increase or be neutral in buffeting for any one person.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-27-2014, 12:34 PM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2008 softail custom has the fat Boy front end. I have a tank lift. it does **** all for buffeting.