Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy (classic) owners, happy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 11:00 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,461 Likes on 5,663 Posts
Default Fatboy (classic) owners, happy?

OK, I'm looking at a fatboy. I have always liked them.

I've been riding a 1999 FXDL for the last 12 years. I'm pushing the big 5-0 and am thinking the next ride will be a softail. I don't hotrod around much, and mainly now just look to ride 50-120 miles an afternoon a few times a week. (I live on a small island, thats the best I can do. Cut me some slack). I'll have the ole lady on the back most of the time.

I moved to Hawaii, sold the FXDL in the move and am dying for another Harley.

My FXDL had a 88ci with a stage 1. I will also do a stage 1 to the fatboy. Now... I'm guessing I really won't really notice the extra 60 pounds of weight as the 2014 fatboy has the 103ci. It should outperform my '99, or at least be a wash.

YES, I've test rode a fatboy and liked it. Short of borrowing one for a week or two, I'm waffling between getting the fatboy, or just staying inside my comfort zone and getting another FXDL. (Humans hate change)

It's a comfort thing. Just how much more comfortable is that fatboy going to be? Like I said, I'm getting older. No doubt the fatboy looks better, is it that much better of a ride for the price increase???

And the wind... It gets gusty here on the coast. How do those solid wheels take the wind? Is it as bad as I've heard???

Thanks!

ETA: When I retire, I might come back to the mainland and bring the bike, so this consideration too. I WILL see Sturgis again.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:34 AM
yellowpearlfb
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My FB is 8 years old as of May 1st...brought it home 5/1/06...I like it and I'm 5 years older than you. I've ridden it from just going downtown to the Dragon. It runs and rides really well for me. Can't tell you about the solid wheels because I don't have them...my bike came w/spokes, an option for '06...there are threads here on this subject.
I have the stage 1 w/V&H pipes. I don't look for speed I just cruise...I really don't think that it's ever been over 70mph....that's just me

Old 06-05-2014, 03:44 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Personally, I think the Fat Boy is one of the better looking bikes the MoCo makes. Probably why I've had 3 of them, with a few other Harleys in between. I have never had an issue with the wind/wheels rumor & I ride the interstates when on long trips. I have had complaints about the ride from passengers though, and I don't think I'm alone on that count. Probably a different passenger seat would take care of that issue. For the kind of miles you're planning to ride, I think the factory rider's seat will be OK. I'm guessing the engine performance will be fine, but a Softail is not going to handle the curves as well as as a Dyna.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:13 AM
Jaburg1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had an '02 Fat Boy and loved it. It was my first Harley Davidson and I put just about every chrome upgrade into it that you can out of the HD catalog! The bike balanced very well and never had any issues with the solid wheel rumor. The bike itself (engine, tank, rear end, and you) block far more wind than a couple of wheels. Get the Fat Boy and enjoy a different family of bikes than what you have. If you don't, you'll always look at it and wish you did, and you'll always make an excuse to yourself why you didn't.

Last edited by Jaburg1; 06-05-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:39 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got both a Dyna and a Fatboy. The Dyna is easier to take thru the twisties, but the Fatboy is easier for slow speed handling. Neither one is bad at anything, but the low speed stuff and handling when a passenger is aboard make the Fatboy a pleasure.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:20 AM
FatBoy-NH
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I love mine, it's an '06.

I've never ridden a Dyna, but I did ride a couple Street Glides and Road Glides and knew that I didn't want a Touring bike. Feels like the perfect size to me.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:58 AM
jdm65
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am 49 years old .
5' 9" - - 210lbs.
Luv my 06 FATBOY.
I thought it felt really mushy in the rear when I 1st bought it from a old lady. Did some reading then added preload to the rear shocks--set for 250 lb load. Now it handles & rides awesome.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:10 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,705 Likes on 1,098 Posts

The solid wheels catch some wind sometimes, but nothing major. I rarely notice it.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:19 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,233 Likes on 8,375 Posts

I love mine, but I had to change the solo seat; too hard. I have had zero issues with it, the wheels included. The SE stage one really pulls too, for a stock bike. `Sure wish it had a 6th speed, though, like my last bike did (`09 Dyna SG).

Old 06-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Warren9073
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my 2012 and I'm 10 years older than you.

Ride mostly around town but take trips when time allows.

I can ride it all day (as long as I stretch when I fuel up)
I do have a windshield and lower wind deflectors.

Quick Reply: Fatboy (classic) owners, happy?