Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Syn 3 Synthetic oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 06:37 PM
Racer78
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HD Syn 3 Synthetic oil ?

I changed out my fluids a few weeks ago with the Syn 3 synthetic in the all cases. I'm now changing out the trans side cover and dropped the trans fluid. The syn3 is white? Normally I know white oil means water is in your oil but seems odd to be this white so soon after. Is this common with this synthetic oil?
I was also wondering if it has something to do with the previous oil the last owner had in the trans?

Any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails HD Syn 3 Synthetic oil ?-image-4049603405.jpg  
Old 06-12-2014, 06:40 PM
Zeus55
Road Master
Received 113 Likes on 61 Posts

Soap or water contamination.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:41 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Do you ride your bike on short trips? That will cause moisture build up since the motor.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:00 PM
Racer78
Cruiser

I've road about 3-4 times at about 2 hours per trip. That seems like a lot of condensation in such a short time.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Racer78
Cruiser

Just got off the phone with a excellent local Harley mechanic. Indeed water contamination as we thought, most likely through the trans vent hose. He wasn't a fan of the synthetic in these bikes and recommended staying with standard fluids...
Now that I'm thinking back, I had also changed our the oil tank (the reason for the first oil swap) and had an O ring issue which leaked down around the trans on the highway. I had to hose the bike down pretty good in that area and I guess it all makes sense.

Thanks for your replies guys,
Cheers.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:28 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,537 Likes on 3,789 Posts

If that is water, it would be a simple matter to pour it in a clear jar and let it sit an hour. You will know for sure. if it is, I would take a run on the first change and change it again. That looks like a lot of water. I agree with Formula + in transmission. Just mainly since there is no filter. Also remember, that down tube in transmission also vents primary (thru clutch push rod hole) and also your oil sump bolted on bottom of transmission. I make a lot of short trips, run year round and only change oils once a year and have never see moisture.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-12-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:26 PM
Racer78
Cruiser

Great idea, I'm also dropping the primary cover too to change it out. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:08 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep, it's water in the transmission. Guaranteed! Check the vent hose on the left side of the transmission. Insure that it is intact and positioned correctly. Flush out the tranny several times with kerosene then leave it open overnight allowing any remaining fluid to evaporate.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:29 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

Your mechanic is terribly wrong with not using synthetic. In the aviation community that is all we use.

I use Mobil 1 v-twin in my Cessna with great results. Im using Mobil 1 75-140 in my 13 Heritage transmission no problems. Why Mobil 1? I like that I can find this oil anywhere and everywhere. And when I see aircraft engines torn down after 2,400 hours and then put back together and certified by an aircraft mechanic for another 2,400 hours, Im sold.

You found water in your oil and you or your mechanic think that regular oil is going to do what?

I've also got a 97 Saturn SL with 186,000 miles on it. Bought it new. I only use Mobil 1 5W-30 with a Mobil 1 filter since new. I only change the oil once a year since Im only driving about 10,000 miles average a year.

There are other synthetic's out there that are very good also. I like many other airplane owners can not pull over to the side of the road to check under the hood. Aircraft engines make our Harley's a cheap toy, so you want to talk about people wanting the best oil.

I just want to make it a point that don't dismiss synthetic's for a problem caused by something else.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:49 PM
Racer78
Cruiser

That Mobil 1 is great stuff. Ive only run it in all my vehicles hence why I took a stab at the Syn3 for the HD. The water and the synthetic thing are of course two separate points. He wasn't saying standard oil would have made a difference with the water issue, only that he prefers and recommends non synthetics on these bikes.. I don't want to get into the whole synthetic / vs debate as everyone has their own angle on it. And most feel pretty strong about it. Haha
Ill cycle some new oil through the trans and drop it again after a few quick runs to flush it.
Threading that clutch cable back into the trans cover was a total bitch not to cross thread it..

Cheers

Quick Reply: HD Syn 3 Synthetic oil ?