Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail balancer issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 06:57 PM
SGT Rock TN
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail balancer issue?

I have a 2005 night train.

I was riding home from work Wednesday morning and starting hearing a noise in my lower on the bike. I didn't ride in Wednesday night and when I got off Thursday morning I did a little research. I thought it might be a loose chain, but I also read about loose compensator nuts. So I opened up the primary to tighten up the chain and check the compensator. When I did, I found a plastic item that turned out to be a chain locking tool:

That was a surprise. I bout this bike a year ago used from the dealer. I assume the original owner may have done something that required this and forgot it when putting the bike back together?

anyhow...

The chain was a little loose, but nothing bad. I took off the compensator nut and cleaned up the threads, then torqued it down to 165 ft lbs. It looked fine. I fired it up and it is still making the same noise. I took it to the dealer Thursday evening. They finally got around to working on it this afternoon. There is a big group in here from out of town and I told them I would be fine if they had to put me on the back burner for someone out of town. Tonight I get a call saying they checked the compensator and clutch and everything looked good. They then pulled the engine drain plug and found metal shavings. They now think it is possibly the balancer. I did the service at 5k using all HD oils and filters. It has only been ~3,500 miles since I did the last one.

I cannot find anyone discussing issues with a bad balancer. What are the chances they are wrong and it could be something else? I'm worried it might be the cam tensioners failed and caused problems, but I have only about 1 year experience with Harleys.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:28 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

since you didn't input any additional info, it'd be hard to give much info back to ya.

My first thoughts would be Cam tensioners, but not knowing the history or miles on your bike.. that would only be a guess..

do you know if any engine work has been done on her already..??

Old 06-22-2014, 03:52 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

I think chickenonachain had some balancer issue on his blackline, not positive though. Luckily he's not hard to find on here.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:10 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Hey! Free tools!

Old 06-22-2014, 08:29 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Tensioners are easy enough to check. Pull off your front pipe and then the cam cover. You'll lose a little oil doing this and it is messy cuz it drips all over your frame. One tensioner is right in front for you to see, the other you'll need a small dental mirror to see behind the plate. If you don't have a factory service manual, get one, worth the $60.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

I've seen the balancers go out, it's not pretty in some cases, you got lucky.
The balancers are just one more reason, on top of all of the other reasons to never buy a Softail.

At least they didn't grenade the engine cases.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:43 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 533 Posts

How many miles total on your bike ?

As QC explains you need to keep an eye on those tensions even if they don't turn out to be the issue 05 / 88ci still the old style unless they have been updated or gear drive cams were put in by the PO.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:49 PM
SGT Rock TN
Advanced

It just went over 30,000 miles. At ~27,500 I pulled the cover off and checked the tensioners and they had more than half the plastic on them. I was planning to have them changed to a gear drive cam set close to the end of the year when I figured it would be time for about the 35,000 mile mark. As far as I know there hasn't been anything changed internally on the engine.

I'm hoping that the cam tensioners are the issue and that nothing else has been messed up. At least that is the devil I understand. I went by today and they said they should have the engine open tomorrow and talk to the Warranty people as well for coverage. Luckily when I bought it last year I took a 3 year service agreement. I'll consider myself lucky if I just have to buy a Screaming Eagle oil pump kit to replace the tensioners. Unlucky is a whole new engine.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:17 PM
SGT Rock TN
Advanced

Also, for what it is worth, the only modifications on the engine that I know of are a DK Customs intake and Cobra exhaust. Ran fine up until last week.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by SGT Rock TN
Also, for what it is worth, the only modifications on the engine that I know of are a DK Customs intake and Cobra exhaust. Ran fine up until last week.
Good for you having the extended warranty , sounds like scheduled maintenance was done so you should be covered .

If there's anything major wrong it's usually more cost effective for the dealer to go the re-man route on the motor which isn't a bad thing assuming it's warranted .......

http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...facturing.html

Quick Reply: Softail balancer issue?