Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout stock baffle replacement q

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Ironrodent
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Breakout stock baffle replacement q

Stock 14 Breakout here...Ok...before it's suggested to just get new slip-ons... I wanted to start by saying I actually like the look of the Breakout exhaust just the way it is down to the gloss black heat shields. It's my impression that the muffler is just a can with a baffle or has a baffle in addition to a cat. converter. I can afford to replace the slip-ons but that's not the point. Would it be practical if I have the time to pull the stock baffle out and purchase the right size baffle separately and packing material from one of the many exhaust mfg's? Seems pretty easy to just punch out the rivet anyway. This way I keep the stock heat shields and look and not have a spare set of parts laying around. Thoughts please? thanks

Old 06-22-2014, 07:51 AM
oscar621
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's exactly what I am doing to my 2012 Heritage. Love the stock muffler look and I know there are bullet style mufflers available aftermarket with no cats and replaceable baffles, but I really enjoy doing it myself, mainly because I am cheap. I got a set of baffles from ebay that were the can opener style, and while the sound is better, it was not what I was looking for.

Got a set of 2" V & H baffles from ebay that are their standard baffles for slip ons which is pretty much open with some dimples for backpressure. Plan on installing those tomorrow. Should give it a more throaty sound. Nice thing about doing it yourself if you don't like the sound you can always change it. Even if I bought 10 sets of baffles i would still be cheaper than one set of slip ons that I did not like.

The sponsor for this forum, American Custom Exhaust, does offer replacement stock mufflers with removable baffles if you would prefer to have someone else do the work. Pretty reasonable prices as well. I think around $170 plus your old mufflers. They use original Harley parts that are modified to accept replaceable baffles.

Steve

Old 06-22-2014, 09:36 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironrodent
Stock 14 Breakout here...Ok...before it's suggested to just get new slip-ons... I wanted to start by saying I actually like the look of the Breakout exhaust just the way it is down to the gloss black heat shields. It's my impression that the muffler is just a can with a baffle or has a baffle in addition to a cat. converter. I can afford to replace the slip-ons but that's not the point. Would it be practical if I have the time to pull the stock baffle out and purchase the right size baffle separately and packing material from one of the many exhaust mfg's? Seems pretty easy to just punch out the rivet anyway. This way I keep the stock heat shields and look and not have a spare set of parts laying around. Thoughts please? thanks
You should just gut the stock mufflers and get some BCT Baffles. Harley_Charley did that on his Breakout and it sounds great.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:39 AM
Stone Cliff
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 06-22-2014, 11:44 AM
Ironrodent
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info guys... just didn't wanna "invent the wheel" when it comes to this newer model. Aftermarket is still spotty IMO for BO. Also was thinking of doing the V&H Quiet Baffles but not sure what size to tell them.

I heard it's the cats that really make them much quieter. I would think the quietest baffle is still gonna be a whole lot louder than the stock can with cat. Are there any even quieter than the VH quiet baffles? I've heard bikes go by with a really deep rumble but they're not obnoxious. That's what I'm going for. I've had Rush slipons with 2" and VH 2-2 Big Radius with their stock baffles on my sportster. Pulled many 1000 mile trips that killed my hearing so I'm done with loud and ear plugs if I can help it.

I'm wondering if I could do the VH quiet and add smartpartz quiet baffle to it.

question 1. What size would I get in the VH quiet baffle? thanks