Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Override Securty PIN Mode Failure - method to enter mode?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 11:11 AM
thenite1878
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Override Securty PIN Mode Failure - method to enter mode?

I'm sorry to start a new thread, but I can't find a similar thread on the forum.

I purchased a used 06' Nightrain FXST-BI with two working "push-button" Key-FOBs. Everything is fine with those so far, but I run across a problem from time to time when the key-FOB isn't as responsive as I feel it should be. Probably the batter - yet what if it died or got lost or whatever?

Stupid electronics..

I am able to enter and successfully change the PIN,
On/off/On/off/on , press the "L" turn signal 3 times and the
"Push-button" FOB twice (quickly - like a double click on the
computer mouse - for those having trouble).

Re-entering the change-mode confirms succession.

THE PROBLEM -
When I want to enter the Override-Mode / AKA PIN Entry displayed on the Odometer - nothing happens.

I've tried every combination found on the internet for about say fours hours of searching..

The common one seems practical:

Leave OFF/Run in off position
Turn IGN to Ignition
Simultaneously Hold "L & R" turn-signal switches withing 10 Seconds until
the PIN MODE displays on the Odometer display - as shown here "-----"

Any Ideas? Or is there a different/correct procedure for entering the Override on this model?

What is good way to troubleshoot a system without a manual or even a system series number or model number or any cross reference what so ever. I am not going to dump $90 an hour for some simple crap that's plug&play.

Better yet,, How do you bi-pass the whole damn thing? Disconnect it? Get rid of it? Burn it? LOL

Old 06-22-2014, 11:58 AM
funbikerchick
Tourer

If you have the push button key fob and you want to bi-pass they whole thing, just don't ever engage it. I had this system on my 06 Street Bob. I just never used it. It doesn't activate unless you press the button. So, if you never press the button, you never have to worry about what if the battery stops working. Now, newer systems (like the one on my14 Heritage) engage automatically, which means I do have to worry so I made sure to figure out how to to it manually.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:12 PM
fourhour
Tourer

Set it up so that you can use the turn-signal switches in the event of a battery failure. Also good for that time you need to move the bike and the keys aren't handy.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:08 PM
jmr1971
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thenite1878

Leave OFF/Run in off position
Turn IGN to Ignition
Simultaneously Hold "L & R" turn-signal switches withing 10 Seconds until
the PIN MODE displays on the Odometer display - as shown here "-----"

Any Ideas? Or is there a different/correct procedure for entering the Override on this model?
I don't think the run/off thumb switch is a factor. Looking at the owner's manual for my '04, it says to turn the ignition to the ACC position and then hold both turn signal buttons. This could be why you're having trouble.

Better yet,, How do you bi-pass the whole damn thing? Disconnect it? Get rid of it? Burn it? LOL
Just don't arm it. You may have to turn off the auto-arm feature if your model has it and it's on.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:21 AM
thenite1878
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by funbikerchick
If you have the push button key fob and you want to bi-pass they whole thing, just don't ever engage it.
Now why would I want a feature that I can never use or control or even have an idea if it's working correctly or not.

I would really like to solve this..

"I don't think the run/off thumb switch is a factor. Looking at the owner's manual for my '04, it says to turn the ignition to the ACC position and then hold both turn signal buttons."
I've also tried these too.
ACC followed by quickly holding the "L&R" turn signal until the PIN Mode is activated - no avail - tried several times

ACC followed by quickly Pressing the "L&R" turn signal until the PIN Mode is activated - no avail - yet only tried only twice - gonna try this one again this morning.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:38 PM
thenite1878
2nd Gear

Nope, doesn't work. The only thing I can get it to do is make the lock indicator light blink fast. No pin entry mode shows up on the odometer.

I can get the lock indicator light (shaped like a key on the speedometer) to blink fast by turning the ING to Accessories position and click both the L&R turn signal quickly. It takes about 1 second, yet still there is no pin entry showing on the odometer.

I've even tried to hold the L&R turn signal buttons for a while - about a minute (seems dumb to do it any longer) and no progress.

I can change the pin by,

ING - On/off/on/off/on
Clicking the L-Turn signal switch twice
Double-Clicking the push-button key FOB
L-turn signal cycles the numbers 0 thru 9
Key-FOB changes to the next digit location
It remembers the new pin just fine.

Just can't figure out how to enter the pin without the FOB.

I don't give up that easy,, as you can tell.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:48 PM
Six7One
Tourer

From: http://www.cyclefish.com/forum/Harle...de-2762-1.html

Maybe this will help?

Setting or Changing Your Security System Alarm Override PIN

Button less fobs (Smart FOB)

1. Select 5 digit code ( each digit being a 1 thru 9) and record it on the wallet card in the owners manual.

2. With an assigned FOB present, turn IGN key ON - OFF - ON - OFF - ON

3. Press Left turn signal switch 3 times.

4. Press Right turn signal switch one time and release.
*Turn signals will flash 3 times. Current PIN will appear in the odometer. The first digit will be flashing.

5. Enter first digit (a) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal (a) times.

6. Press right turn signal 1 time and release.
*The new digit (a) will replace the current in the odometer window.

7. Enter second digit (b) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch (b) times.

8. Press right turn signal 1 time and release.
*The new digit will replace the current in odometer window.

9. Enter the third digit (c) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal (c) times.

10. Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.
*The new digit (c) will replace the current in the odometer window.

11. Enter forth digit (d) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch (d) times.

12. Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.

13. Enter the fifth digit (e) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal (e) times.
*The new digit (e) will replace the current in the odometer window.

14. Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.

15. Before the module rearms, turn ignition key to OFF.
* The odometer will return to mileage display.
**Turning the ignition to OFF stores the new pin in the module.

Push Button fobs

1. Select 5 digit code ( each digit being a 1 thru 9) and record it on the wallet card in the owners manual.

2. With an assigned FOB present, turn IGN key ON - OFF - ON - OFF - ON

3. Press Left turn signal switch 3 times.

4. Press button on fob twice
Current PIN will appear in the odometer. The first digit will be flashing.

5. Enter first digit of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal until the desired number appears.
Press button on fob twice to enter number.

6. Enter second digit of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal until the desired number appears.

7. Enter third digit of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal until the desired number appears.

8. Enter forth digit of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal until the desired number appears.

9. Enter fifth digit of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal until the desired number appears.

Turning the ignition to OFF stores the new security PIN.

Using the Security Alarm PIN Override to Start Your Harley Davidson

1. Turn the IGN key to IGNITION and immediately hold both turn signal switches until 5 dashes appear in the odometer window.

2. Enter the first digit of your PIN (a) by pressing the left turn signal switch (a) times.

3. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.

4. Enter the second digit of your PIN (b) by pressing the left turn signal switch (b) times.

5. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.

6. Enter the third digit of your PIN (c) by pressing the left turn signal switch (c) times.

7. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.

8. Enter the forth digit of your PIN (d) by pressing the left turn signal switch (d) times.

9. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.

10. Enter the fifth digit of your PIN (e) by pressing the left turn signal switch (e) times.

11. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.

12. Press the right turn signal switch one time and the security system alarm is turned off.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:50 PM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I see 3 things here:

- the bike has to be on its kickstand for the turn-signal trick to work. I didn't see it mentioned.
- The FOB should be away from the bike when the turn-signal trick to work. At least 15-20 feet just to be sure.
- You say you got 2 push-button FOBs. That does not sound like stock, so I wonder if it would even work like stock.

I can tell you that on my 2009 Fatboy with stock security, I turn the switch on, hold both signals within 5 seconds of turning it on, and about 3 seconds later the odometer starts blinking. Never tried it with accessory on.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:04 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by spydyr
I see 3 things here:

- the bike has to be on its kickstand for the turn-signal trick to work. I didn't see it mentioned.
- The FOB should be away from the bike when the turn-signal trick to work. At least 15-20 feet just to be sure.
- You say you got 2 push-button FOBs. That does not sound like stock, so I wonder if it would even work like stock.

I can tell you that on my 2009 Fatboy with stock security, I turn the switch on, hold both signals within 5 seconds of turning it on, and about 3 seconds later the odometer starts blinking. Never tried it with accessory on.
Your 2009 has a different system. The OP has the same FOB as my '03. The directions are here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-topics-tech-tips/650459-how-to-manually-disarm-your-security-alarm.html

If you jiggle the bike after hitting your directionals the alarm goes off. So I like to get seated steady, then turn ignition switch to Accessory, hold directionals in until icon flashes fast, which is almost immediate, then enter code.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:57 PM
thenite1878
2nd Gear

Actually the FOBs seem to be OEM - could be someone ordered another for some reason. But then again, who knows. :/

1. Turn the IGN key to IGNITION and immediately hold both turn signal switches until 5 dashes appear in the odometer window.
This doesn't work. Even after going through the Change Pin procedure a few times (figuring it might not have processed completely). Simply turning the ING to Off stores the Pin, so that seems to be working fine (just say'in for the sake of say'in)

The Kickstand thing is New to me. That could be a point that I wasn't paying attention to. I'll try to be really super careful and try it after the storm blows over here.

ING to Accessories
This does make the security light blink very quickly, but there is no "0-----" showing up on the odometer. I did try to input the PIN blind just to see if it would work, but the fast blinking light switches to security breech mode (think this is what it' called) and all the lights go wild.

It looks like this problem might actually beat me, and I'll have to take it back to the dealer - pay the $90 per hour for them to run a factory reset, which takes about 2 seconds.

I'm hoping this thread helps someone else out too, just cause it is really tough to find a troubleshooting thread.

There is some great information from you guys, thank you.

I'll try the kickstand-keep-from-breathing-while-FOB-is-10-miles-down-the-road-trick and see if that works. (not trying to make fun of the suggestion, just the fact that it's like standing on your head and crapping on your upper lip - seems like a lot to go through just to provide a little security -- very little security at that.)

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the help. Keep me posted if you run across a diag breakdown or if you hear of someone else with this problem. I'll be back to check and/or let everyone know if I solve the problem.

Quick Reply: Override Securty PIN Mode Failure - method to enter mode?