Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else having trouble with LCD oil level & temperature dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 09:58 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
THAT'S A pretty weird coincidence. Do you supposed that something in an oil change process causes the unit to mess up? e.g. maybe it sits on a bench for x minutes and can't find an oil level so loses its calibration??

I had simply assumed that the mechanic had indeed slightly overfilled it.

Jim G
So. Today I checked the oil level visually. Bike had been resting on the jiffy stand for almost 24 hours, engine was cold. The dispstick display reads "cold oil" what -at least- is quite correct . The oil level reading says 3/4 full. The oil level on the dipstick itself reads 4/5 full. So compared this looks relatively o.k. to me.

Yes, I know that you're supposed to check the oil when the engine is hot, but to me the situation described above indicates that the oil level is not too high.

Next time I check with the hot engine and let it rest a little longer on the jiffy before reading. Maybe we get the inappropriate reading because there's still to much of an oil coat on the dipstick. Especially with new and assumingly thicker oil right after the service...just a guess.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Same problem here! After I had the chrome oil tank installed, the dipstick shows high oil level even if it's not. Within a few days I'll have 1000 miles service, curious to see what will happen...

Last edited by Nostradamus74; 07-07-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:30 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

I called the Parts Manager at my local HD dealership. He has put aside a replacement LCD dipstick for me to pick up tomorrow after work.

Jim G

Old 07-07-2014, 01:27 PM
Warren9073
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are several other threads about the same issue. Mine lasted just over a year then I had the exact same issue that you see.

Always read High Oil. I removed some oil just to see what it would do but it never changed. I could no longer trust it so I removed it and put the stock dip stick back. It never lies to me.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:42 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Mine has always read high, even though the oil level is right between the marks when hot on the dipstick, confirmed with original stock dipstick. So I basically ignore it and check manually from time to time.I'll check the temp reading after a long ride once in a while. At least the original battery is still good after four years.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

No way to reset the dipstick?
HD should pay much more attention on quality controls! The cylinder heads gauge gives issues too.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought one that was about a year old from another member. It worked fine for me for about a year but now it only reads temp and when I try to get a level it shows no sensor. I've tried cleaning it with some manifold sensor cleaner and replacing the battery but it didn't do anything. I changed the battery first.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:01 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

They are junk, but they look cool I guess!

Old 08-20-2014, 08:59 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I've had mine for just over a year and still working great - it does read a little high, which is no problem for me because I run my tank a little lower than HD's high mark - when I service my NT I top the oil up to the point where the digital level flicks between the 75% and 100% level bars.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:03 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

This is just a THEORY, but I suspect that the key is to keep the innards - the electronics inside the head of the dipstick - dry.

That would suggest:

1. Do not aim a wash hose directly at the head of the device

2. Do NOT use the methodology the instructions suggest to align the LCD readout for best visibility. That methodology breaks the waterproof seal between the head and the display, and that seal is very fragile and easy to move out of position when reassembling the device. Just leave it in the position it came in from the factory. It's not hard to read the display from across the bike seat if necessary.

Jim G

Quick Reply: Anyone else having trouble with LCD oil level & temperature dipstick?