Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Bars or Mini Apes

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Stricnine
Cruiser

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Heritage Bars or Mini Apes

I know there's a lot of handlebar threads already on here, but I couldn't find the answer I am looking for. I have an 03 Heritage but it doesn't have the factory Heritage bars on it. I am 5'7", 170 lbs and the bars I have on now are more like beach style bars with too much wrist angle and have a little too much reach for me. If I drive more than an hour, I start getting shoulder and neck pains as well as hands going to sleep. From what I have read, I have narrowed it down to 2 bars. The factory Heritage bars and the factory Harley mini apes. Does anyone have any input on which of these two bars would be better for me. I'm going to try and stop by our local HD shop this week and sit on the Street Bob and a new Heritage to see which ones feel the best but I figured the input from here would give me an overall better choice. Thanks in advance for any input

Old 07-07-2014, 09:20 PM
Triple M
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm 5'6" and weigh 179 lbs and owned a 2010 Heritage. I changed out the oem bars for the "Extreme Reduced Reach Handlebar" and it made the bike a perfect fit for me. I know this is not what you asked about but I thought I would give you another option.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...each-handlebar

Old 07-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

Your best bet would be to sit on the bikes at the dealer as you plan to and see for yourself what feels best for you.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:06 PM
Stricnine
Cruiser

Thanks for the responses. I will try to go by tomorrow and see what each feels like. I've never tried what a set of the reduced reach felt like but this is a good reason to post on here. I may would like them. Thanks again.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:08 AM
Badbagger09
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

My wife has a 2009 Heritage and had a similar problem, but with her Heritage bars. We installed the Deluxe risers and handlebars and she is more comfortable. Sit on a Deluxe and compare the handlebars with the Heritage for fit.
Name:  IMG_0177_zpse8998b3a.jpg
Views: 6217
Size:  141.8 KB

Old 07-08-2014, 05:21 AM
mayhemmaster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Handle bars are hard to choose....some look so cool while others feel real good
I am in the process of putting 12" on my ride... even tho i sat on a few @ dealer its not same as riding down the road for hours ... Good luck ta ya

Old 07-08-2014, 07:56 AM
funbikerchick
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever bars you choose, you might also consider pull back risers. I had 4" pullpacks on a previous bike - this rose the bars 2" and pulled them closer by 1 1/2". Usually 4" riser pullbacks do not require longer cables.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:37 AM
Stricnine
Cruiser

Badbagger09 - Thanks for this info. I'll sit on a deluxe as well and see how it feels and Funbikerchick, I will look into this as well. Thanks for the help. I'll post back and let everyone know what I find out as soon as I can stop by the dealership.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Julesx
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Badbagger09
My wife has a 2009 Heritage and had a similar problem, but with her Heritage bars. We installed the Deluxe risers and handlebars and she is more comfortable. Sit on a Deluxe and compare the handlebars with the Heritage for fit.
I like what you have done to your bike - nice! What did you do to re shape the seat? It looks 'plusher' and thicker than the standard one.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Ronin99
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i'm putting black powder coated street bob bars on my deluxe. yes, i'm 6ft but i have a long torso and i'll be able to push them way forward. plus i like the fact that the bars don't go beyond the fork width before curving vertical. a mini ape should fit you great and relieve any back issues – apes are the only way to go.

Quick Reply: Heritage Bars or Mini Apes