Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil blow out from air intake on Fatboy Lo ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 08:55 AM
want2ride
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil blow out from air intake on Fatboy Lo ?

Hey forum, my first Harley its a 2013 Fatboy Lo. My question is after I'm out doing some spirited riding then park the bike in the garage I notice some type of fluid overspray on the timing cover and exhaust pipe not a lot but enough to notice it. Its happened 2 of the 3 last rides out. It wipes off easily I'm Not sure but could it be oil blowing out of the roland sands intake. If it is what causes this and what needs to be done. If it helps the Bike is a stage 1 & outside temps are 80-90 degrees and yes I do crack it open on occasion while getting a feel for the bike. Thanks in advance for the education..

Old 07-11-2014, 02:06 PM
want2ride
Cruiser

So I guess this is normal on a fatboy (oil blowout) 77 views no replies hmm.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:07 PM
proraptor
Tourer

Maybe check your oil level

Old 07-11-2014, 03:38 PM
jdm65
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Do a forum search for oil blow by.
Oil level too high probably & some stage 1 breathers don't vent into the throat of throttle body far enough , etc.
The screamin eagle stage 1breather on my Fatboy left oil all over side of bike. The Ness big sucker I put on it doesn't - - the vent holes on Ness are right in throat. I have read that the v&h v02 solves oil dripping from air filter also

Old 07-11-2014, 03:38 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Check your oil level. Make sure you check it on the jiffy stand and not straight up. Check level when both cold and warm. If too much oil, then yes, oil could be spitting out of the intake. Drain some of the oil to bring it down to regular level. Also check the breather tubes in the intake. Could be leaking or spitting there.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:57 PM
martin1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont like the vents going into my intake. They can really make a mess in your throttle body and on your intake valves. This link shows a simple solution that might work for you.

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Brea...ystems_c21.htm

Old 07-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

It's not you oil level. On a Softail, if you truly had the oil level too high, it will push the dip stick out. The breather system is just going to do that with extended rpm above 3K or like you say spirited rides. An open SE type filter just cannot catch it like a stock filter or if stock, pull it off and wipe it out. If you let it set, it will also run down and make it look worst as compared to riding ever day. Just wipe the drool off the old girl's chin and keep getting up. Very little is being sucked into the engine since it falls out in the plumbing, Check you oil hot and to your manual since some newer bikes have the dipstick call out for on the stand. Also, since it's hot, it can be near the top mark. Cold, it should be in the middle. Do not fall for the silly illegal exterior vents and such. We have enough pollution and for the life of me do not under why people think it's OK to modify it. They check it here since we have state inspections and it's a 10K EPA fine for venting it outside the air box.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-11-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:28 PM
want2ride
Cruiser

Checked oil level when cold, level fell in the middle of (2 arrows) on dip stick. Drove the bike for an hour (non spirited riding) checked oil and it was above 1st arrow on dip stick but not quiet in the middle as it was when cold. Also there was no oil blow out on this ride upon my return. But I was not rolling on the throttle as I did the last two around the town trips.

I called my Dealer & service said these fatboy's do that when its HOT out and riding a bit on the hard side with aggressive throttling or he said the oil level may be to high and its discharging the excess at wide open throttle. Lastly he said the filter may be dirty. So I guess I'll yank the filter and check it, being new to bikes how does one clean the air intake filter ?

Old 07-12-2014, 01:26 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by want2ride
Checked oil level when cold, level fell in the middle of (2 arrows) on dip stick. Drove the bike for an hour (non spirited riding) checked oil and it was above 1st arrow on dip stick but not quiet in the middle as it was when cold. Also there was no oil blow out on this ride upon my return. But I was not rolling on the throttle as I did the last two around the town trips.

I called my Dealer & service said these fatboy's do that when its HOT out and riding a bit on the hard side with aggressive throttling or he said the oil level may be to high and its discharging the excess at wide open throttle. Lastly he said the filter may be dirty. So I guess I'll yank the filter and check it, being new to bikes how does one clean the air intake filter ?

It's never a good idea to vent into the air cleaner...you may or may not get some of that oil dripping thru your filter onto the bike, but you will Always get less performance, and you will probably have issues down the road from sludge in your throttle body and carbon build-up on your pistons.

Better to vent externally, as mentioned above.

In either case, check out your manual, and you will see Harley-Davidson's recommendation for oil viscosity. It will look something like the chart below.

If you follow your manual, and not what most dealerships recommend, you will have less blow-by (oil carry-over is what HD calls it).

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com