Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*Advice* Gonna Install A ThunderMax This Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default *Advice* Gonna Install A ThunderMax This Weekend

Hey Gang,

Got my hands on a ThunderMax with Autotune and want to throw it on my 08 Crossbones this weekend. I wanted to get any thoughts or notes. The physical install seems pretty straight forward so I think I'm okay there. Getting a map loaded also seems fairly straight forward although I am not sure if I need to have an internet connection or not or do I just need to have the software installed on my laptop (already done). I did read somewhere that I should go online and check to see that I have the latest maps (I'm in a temporary living situation and don't want to bother installing internet for now). I figured I could just take my laptop somewhere that has wifi and do any checking for updates there and then just bring it home to install the map?

If you're someone who is currently running a Thundermax or has had one in the past, please let me know your thoughts on my above questions.

Don't need a bunch of opinions on other tuners or how much better or worse the Thundermax is than other tuners, etc. This is the choice I've made for now and plan on making those determinations myself. At the moment I'm only interested in strictly factual information concerning installing and setting up the ThunderMax.

Additional Info in case it helps:
Stock 96B Motor, Etc.
Supertrapp 2:1 Internal Disc Series Exhaust.
Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Air Cleaner.

I'll be installing the ThunderMax With Autotune Kit #309-460

Currently running a Vance & Hines Fuel Pak. My scoot runs fine with the Fuel Pak but otherwise it doesn't really feel like it does much else for the bike.

Thanks,

Skeez

Old 07-12-2014, 11:01 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I installed a tmax in my 07 Custom after about 6 months and its been great ever since.
You don't 'need' an internet hookup to install unit or tune the bike, only for updates or new software downloads.

The only 'problem' is if you get the itch to play with the settings.
I did and screwed things up until I got the message put things back the way they were and left it ALONE!!!
Its a lot smarter than I am and can do any adjustments that may be needed a lot better than I can.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:11 AM
VigilantOutlaw
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Installed the Thunder Max A/T a couple years ago on my 07 Deluxe, also installed the Arlen Ness Big Sucker. I could tell it gained some power, but the main difference was it runs a lot cooler. Hope everything goes well, it's an add-on you won't regret!

Old 07-14-2014, 10:43 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.

I'm going to take my laptop to the McDonalds down around the corner and use their free wifi to check to make sure I got the latest updates.

I didn't have as much time to complete my install this weekend. I got everything physically in place but a couple of things came up so I thought I'd list them here for others looking to do this install.

I was going by the directions that are printed and I think that the routing of the rear O2 senor harness can be done better than what is stated in the directions. In fact, I think the online videos have it routed the way I want to do it versus the instructions. I'll have to verify.

Also, all the instructions including the online videos show the unit being installed on a narrow tire Softail which has that tray recessed into the fender and they just re-use the stock hardware. On my wide tire Softail which has a plate with studs and uses small flanged nuts to bolt the ECM down, I can't re-use the stock nuts because the flanged design does not allow them to clear the cut-outs next to the mounting holes on the Thundermax. I need to run out to the hardware store and buy some non-flanged nuts which hopefully will fit fine.

One other thing, I have one of the older units that still uses a serial connection which is pretty much incompatible with any computer made after 1991!!! (I'm exaggerating but it is pretty outdated tech). Zippers sells a cable to adapt such units to USB but it costs $24. It's a pretty common adapter that can be had at any tech store for half that price and even less from any number of online vendors. I got mine from a store called Tiger Direct right down the street from my office and I only paid $12 for it.

Hopefully I'll get everything sorted in the next day or so and have more info to share.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:44 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

The forums has been double posting all morning! What's up with that?

Old 07-14-2014, 08:04 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I totally forgot about the nuts thing. I substituted flangeless nuts but could only manage to get two on at all.
Its not been an issue so I wouldn't be too concerned if you can't get more than a couple on it.

I foolishly didn't read the directions completely or see a video (they did not have one then) so I routed the O2 sensor lines how "I" thought they should go.
Things got a little cramped under the seat & tank, but its been working fine so I am loth to pull every thing apart to reroute them the "right" way.
I'm of the firm opinion that if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it till you break things.

I needed one of the USB/SERIAL adapters when I tried to fiddle around with the settings a couple of months ago.
The laptop I used to install the unit originally had a serial port, but it died a couple of years ago and the new one I got for Christmas last year only has USB ports.
Make sure you use the CD that comes with the adapter or the computer will not be able to talk to the TMax properly.
If you didn't get a CD with it look it up on line and see if you can download the install or setup program for it.

I didn't have much of a problem as I used to repair computers and have a lot of old cables and adapters laying around.
Fact is I tossed out a good couple of hundred pounds of disk drives, cables and PC circuit boards over the last winter.
It was for the most part just so much outdated junk that no one will ever need, want, or use taking up space that I could be using to stock more ammo.

Good Luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
The forums has been double posting all morning! What's up with that?
That happens once in a while, it usually gets sorted out fairly quickly.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:43 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

You have the old style... which has a number of screw ups in the printed documentation. I was a victim of this fact... so I got a new style at Daytona Bikeweek this year at a discount due to the problems caused by the Zipper's support about my unit.

For example, when I did the install a close to the paper docs that I could (which placed one of the O2 connectors in the wrong location so I couldn't get it to work) they said "you should have been following the video". I was in a garage in daytona with no internet hookup! Idiots.

Anyway, you can secure the ECM using a short piece of hose that fits over the stud threads on the two problem studs.

You will find that a converter from usb to serial will have problems without the proper driver installed. You will also find that you can't use one from Best Buy...

PM me if you want mine... I will sell it cheap as long as it doesn't cost me to ship it (it can be mailed in a padded envelope). I have no use for it.

Getting the old style unit and the corresponding software communicating on Windows 7 is impossible... you have to use XP or Vista... from my experience. You might be able to get it to work installing it as administrator and running it in compatibility mode but I just get an old laptop out of the attic and used that. The new version works great and flawlessly on Windows 7... much better and no stupid dongle.

C#

Old 07-15-2014, 08:43 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

You have the old style... which has a number of screw ups in the printed documentation. I was a victim of this fact... so I got a new style at Daytona Bikeweek this year at a discount due to the problems caused by the Zipper's support about my unit.

For example, when I did the install a close to the paper docs that I could (which placed one of the O2 connectors in the wrong location so I couldn't get it to work) they said "you should have been following the video". I was in a garage in daytona with no internet hookup! Idiots.

Anyway, you can secure the ECM using a short piece of hose that fits over the stud threads on the two problem studs.

You will find that a converter from usb to serial will have problems without the proper driver installed. You will also find that you can't use one from Best Buy...

PM me if you want mine... I will sell it cheap as long as it doesn't cost me to ship it (it can be mailed in a padded envelope). I have no use for it.

Getting the old style unit and the corresponding software communicating on Windows 7 is impossible... you have to use XP or Vista... from my experience. You might be able to get it to work installing it as administrator and running it in compatibility mode but I just get an old laptop out of the attic and used that. The new version works great and flawlessly on Windows 7... much better and no stupid dongle.

C#

Old 07-15-2014, 08:51 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Citoriplus
I totally forgot about the nuts thing. I substituted flangeless nuts but could only manage to get two on at all.
Its not been an issue so I wouldn't be too concerned if you can't get more than a couple on it.

I foolishly didn't read the directions completely or see a video (they did not have one then) so I routed the O2 sensor lines how "I" thought they should go.
Things got a little cramped under the seat & tank, but its been working fine so I am loth to pull every thing apart to reroute them the "right" way.
I'm of the firm opinion that if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it till you break things.

I needed one of the USB/SERIAL adapters when I tried to fiddle around with the settings a couple of months ago.
The laptop I used to install the unit originally had a serial port, but it died a couple of years ago and the new one I got for Christmas last year only has USB ports.
Make sure you use the CD that comes with the adapter or the computer will not be able to talk to the TMax properly.
If you didn't get a CD with it look it up on line and see if you can download the install or setup program for it.

I didn't have much of a problem as I used to repair computers and have a lot of old cables and adapters laying around.
Fact is I tossed out a good couple of hundred pounds of disk drives, cables and PC circuit boards over the last winter.
It was for the most part just so much outdated junk that no one will ever need, want, or use taking up space that I could be using to stock more ammo.

Good Luck and keep us updated on your progress.

That happens once in a while, it usually gets sorted out fairly quickly.

You are correct about the nuts still not working out. Interesting that Thundermax doesn't seem to address this issue anywhere...

I've decided that I'm just going to velcro the unit the the mounting plate. It worked velcroing my FuelPak to the battery! I'll still use a nut on the lower left mounting hole which has a cutout big enough for a nut, unlike the other three holes on the unit (figure that one out!).

The adapter I got didn't come with a disc but I'm sure that drivers are available online. Not sure of your experience but it's been awhile since a Windows OS hasn't been able to automatically install a driver for any new USB device I may use. At any rate, I'm sure I can make it work and if not then the place where I got my adapter carried several other brands that did come with a disc.

I was correct on the routing of the rear sensor cable being different in the videos than whats in the printed instructions. I don't know that the end result is any better or worse but doing it how it's demonstrated in the videos is a bit easier if you've never done one of these before.

Ironically, one of my decisions to go with this tuner was to avoid the issue of having another device such as the FuelPak and the extra ECM connector that goes with it cluttering up the very limited space under my battery cover. For those who own a Crossbones or are running a sprung seat, the space is even more limited due to the mounting bracket for the seat springs which bolts to the frame just behind the battery. Well after having installed the TMax, things are still pretty cluttered with the simple addition of the rear o2 sensor harness and the diagnostic plug. I may look to see if I can rout the rear o2 sensor harness OUT of the battery area and behind the oil tank and make the connection there. Otherwise, I'm sure that I can organize things to lay over the battery where my FuelPak used to be. In my application, I need things to lay perfectly clear of the battery cover so that when I sit on the seat, the full weight of my body doesn't bare down on anything delicate like an o2 plug or the ECM itself. I also need as much real-estate under there because I also run a run/stop/turn module which takes up space. Sheesh!

Old 07-15-2014, 10:03 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by cwsharp

C#
Lots of good info!

So now I'm a bit concerned as to whether I'll be able to use my laptop which is a Windows 7 system. If what you say is true I'm going to have to hunt around for someone who has a laptop running one of these older OS. That sucks!

I watched the videos online before I got the unit so I already had a bit of a heads up when I started. I just didn't have the video in front of me when I was actually doing the install so I had to go back and verify my thoughts. I didn't have any problems with either of the installation directions going by the instructions worked fine for me. It was just easier doing it the way its explained in the video.

Can you elaborate a bit on why a store bought adapter will not work versus the actual one that zippers sells? What might the compatibility issues be? What's interesting is that the one I purchased even looks identical to the one on the ThunderMax site.

I'm going to try and do the map download tonight with my laptop and see what I run into. I've already installed the software which didn't seem to be an issue but I guess the proof will be when I actually try to plug the thing in. If I have problems, I guess I will need to determine whether its a OS issue or an issue with the plug since you say that a store bought one will not work.

I guess once I know that I will let you know about buying your adapter! I live in Florida, 32810 in case you want to figure out ahead of time what you want for it including shipping.

Thanks again for all the input even though it's got me a bit bummed!

Quick Reply: *Advice* Gonna Install A ThunderMax This Weekend