Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of Captain Itch Crotch Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 11:06 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowyone
Well I know the heat on my right thigh gets pretty unbearable and I look like a dog on a hydrant on long stops. The big but is what is it doing to the head temps having that big flap hanging over the top of the head and cylinder? Just wondering and figure I'll do the dog imitation as long as I can stand it trying to take care of 'Pearl' and her 124 heart.
It rests only on the rear corner of the rocker boxes, not near the fins. I'm personally not worried about it, nor have I seen my oil temps go up over normal during rides last night and today.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:52 AM
scottyb442
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

defiantly gonna order one for my moms softail slim! the AZ heat cooks the oil cap and leaves a brand on the back of her leg. may even get one for my road king

Old 07-13-2014, 08:10 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
Going to find a shoemakers stitch me another one from some stock leather shaped a little differently so I can see my digital oil meter.
The reason I didn't purchase my "crotch cooler" from "The Captain" is I too have the digital oil gage and "The Captain's" covered it.

I get my "crotch cooler" with the oil gage cutout off e-Bay.
I don't think the craftsmanship is nearly what "The Captain's" is but it was also half the price though.

If you expand my signature pic you can see the cooler I have with the oil gage showing.
It's not a bad looking piece and I still get asked about it.

I will say though, I rarely look at my oil gage anymore so it really doesn't matter that it's cover with the cooler anyway. Also, "The Captain's" model appears to be a lot visually nicer than the cheaper knock-off I have.

If I had made the decision again, I'd forget about the oil gage and go with "The Captain's" cooler.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Bluraven; 07-13-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:16 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

I can't say for sure, but I bet the Captain can cut a hole in the cooler for the gauge. I thought about that, but realized, I never look at that gauge unless the bike is stopped so I can just lift the flap to do that.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:38 AM
Dutch101st
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I've got a digital gauge as well and all I do is flip up the CC to read it. As I have to remove my LePera Bare Bones anyhow to pull the guage anyhow, it's no biggie

Old 07-21-2014, 09:45 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by uklauren
Glad you like it Joe, I don't think I could ride either bike in summer without them. The Springer is especially hot on the left side.
Lauren, I forgot to mention, I had a leaky exhaust gasket on my left side which compounded the heat problem. I could feel exhaust blowing on my leg or hand, particularly when the engine was cold - it sealed up a bit when the engine got warm.

I got a new gasket from Chesters, it's a three bolt easy install, and I'm good to go. They don't stock the Springer specific gasket but Dale the parts man eyeballed it and said the Sporty gasket looks the same...and it fits perfectly.

You might want to double check and make sure you exhaust gasket isn't leaking, you'll feel exhaust around the connection if it is.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:15 PM
DAV
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put one on this spring also (CI) - it's definitely up there on the best dollar-for-dollar spent on the bike in any category.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:22 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have the Captain Itch crotch cooler on our '12 heritage and it works as advertised. The wife really likes it as her right foot was getting fried from the heat from the oil tank and the heads before the crotch cooler.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:23 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

I noticed the heat a lot more on my softail than I did my touring bike (Road King)...I'm guessing due to the hot oil right under the seat.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:13 AM
JiXeR
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'll be honest. i got my crotch cooler about a month ago. and i'm not going to pretend that i like the look of it. but what i will tell you, is that i couldn't live without it. i got stuck in stop and go traffic yesterday (102 degrees with a heat index of 110). and it's a true life saver. when winter comes around, i'll be taking it back off, but i gaurantee it will be back on for next summer. probably the best $80 i've spent on that bike so far. an absolute must for hot weather.

Quick Reply: Review of Captain Itch Crotch Cooler