Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of Captain Itch Crotch Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:23 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I added some challange coins to mine.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:49 AM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cocky
Tenmidgets, u mentioned u couldnt see the scratches. I was thinking about getting one from CI, but was worried that if the leather is thick enough to do its job, is it so stout that it could scratch the chrome and whatever is under it???
Nothing but the back side of a thick leather piece. It is not harder than chrome though so it should not scratch. The front of it can scratch though, I would get the basket weave next time.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:53 AM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I can't say for sure, but I bet the Captain can cut a hole in the cooler for the gauge. I thought about that, but realized, I never look at that gauge unless the bike is stopped so I can just lift the flap to do that.
YEah that's what I did but then I mounted the PV2 and now have a head temp gauge so i really don't use the oil temp digital anymore. I thought about having it cut out before playing with the PV2 which allows four constant read gauges of your choice to be displayed at all times.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:19 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
YEah that's what I did but then I mounted the PV2 and now have a head temp gauge so i really don't use the oil temp digital anymore. I thought about having it cut out before playing with the PV2 which allows four constant read gauges of your choice to be displayed at all times.
I'm a fanatic for scanning my Vette and tuning it...this simple speed density system on the Harley seems so old school to me. I've never heard of that PV2 but I'm going to look into it, I noticed my bike has a head temp sensor when I was swapping my TPS and Idle Air Controller.

Though last weekend when I borrowed my buddy's 03 Heritage Classic with a carb and got 47 mpg (10 more than my bike gets) I've been seriously considering going back to a carb before another sensor goes bad and leaves me stranded!

Old 07-22-2014, 04:27 PM
matthewthamm
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Plus, what ever the plus is up to. Have one on my 11 FLSTC and wifes '05 deluxe. One of the better investments.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:14 PM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Thx, I will probably do the basket weave anywho just to match my trim. I also thought if there was any doubt of scratching any chrome, a felt backing could be added provided that material will up to heat.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:08 PM
elec2glide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have bought two so far and have nothing but praises for this item. Works great at keeping your eggs from boiling in slow moving traffic. Quality is awesome and fine workmanship all over.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Danofxdx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bought it for my girl's Heritage Softail classic Quality product made in the USA fit great looks great can't wait until my girl takes her bike for a ride, summer heat is her biggest complaint, I may even get one for my Dyna

Old 07-23-2014, 08:31 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

I've been riding motorcycles since I was about 8 years old. Street bikes since 17. I've had just about every make under the sun. Never thought I needed a product like the crotch cooler. Then again I'm 6' and my legs don't get that close to the frame/engine when I sit on it.

Now, I can see why some people would want it. Just like some people ride with windshields, some with full leathers/armour, etc. Everyone has their comfort level when riding and experiences it differently.

While it wouldn't hurt to have one on my bike, I just can't do it. It makes a bike look like a chick that has huge meat curtains.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:10 AM
JiXeR
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigMike
I've been riding motorcycles since I was about 8 years old. Street bikes since 17. I've had just about every make under the sun. Never thought I needed a product like the crotch cooler. Then again I'm 6' and my legs don't get that close to the frame/engine when I sit on it.

Now, I can see why some people would want it. Just like some people ride with windshields, some with full leathers/armour, etc. Everyone has their comfort level when riding and experiences it differently.

While it wouldn't hurt to have one on my bike, I just can't do it. It makes a bike look like a chick that has huge meat curtains.
yeah....it's about location also. i'm pretty sure Georgia doesn't have the kind of heat we have here. when it's a 70-80 degree day out, you're right...it's not needed. once you get into triple digits and sitting at stop lights or stuck in traffic....it's not a 'convenience' issue anymore. it's a 'do i still want to have kids one day' issue. plus, i'm 6'2" and don't have any trouble getting my legs away from the pipes either. it's the top of the cylinder head that is the problem. the heat comes up at all the wrong spots that you can't move away from.

Quick Reply: Review of Captain Itch Crotch Cooler