Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer forgot a couple bolts?? Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 08:49 AM
DigbyHD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer forgot a couple bolts?? Help

Had the dealer install my pro pipe and used heavy breather and tune it with a SE tuner on my bike about 5 months ago and it cost me about 2k. They also did the 5k mile service.5

Last couple weeks the bike has ran funny- jerky in the low end and makes tapping noises like spark ping when i first start it up but runs fine when i get up to 25mph. Thought at first it was bad gas maybe.

Noticed yesterday that oil was coming from the gasket between the throttle body and the heavy breather backing plate and that the gasket was not sticking out on The bottom?

I than took the pipe off of the breather and noticed the bolts that hold the backing plate to the throttle body (part number 5 in the attached link) were not there and part of the gasket was missing and there's only one place for the gasket to go.... ya.
The throttle body also relies on the breather backing plate to hold it in place, so the throttle body has been wobbling around for about 5k miles now.

Waiting on the dealer to call me back but do you guys think this could of caused any damage to the engine? and what should i have them look for when they fix this because im thinking the intake manifold may need to be checked out as well.

Thanks-

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04481.pdf

Look at page 4 in the link.
Part 5 is the bolts that are missing

Old 07-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

Sucks that your dealer didn't perform the work properly. I'd take this as a lesson learned, and it's a cheap one at that.

As far into it as you are now, I would get the needed gaskets from a different dealer, unless the one that installed it is the only option, and pick up some screws too. Fix this one yourself.

The screws are just button head cap screws. I'm not certain of the exact size, but I'm leaning towards a 1/4-20 x 3/4 long. A visit to Ace Hardware will let you find the right hardware.

Or, you could get three of those screws from the dealer - part number 926.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:32 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

I'd be a bit concerned that your engine has been sucking in dirt through that unsealed gap between throttle body and filter for 5ooo miles.

Not much you can do about that, since it is pretty hard to PROVE, now that you yourself have taken it apart (the dealer can claim YOU forgot the missing bolts), but you have learned where not to take your bike for service. Take that lesson seriously.

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 07-18-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:34 AM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If those bolts are missing, there are only two places they could have gone. They could either be sitting in the air filter or somewhere in your engine. I'll be curious to hear how the dealer handles it.

While all independent shops aren't perfect, most people, including myself, have had better luck getting work done there as opposed to a HD dealer.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:56 AM
HDnoob
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you better hope and pray that they didn't end up in the engine, which to me kind of sounds like they did if you're hearing excessive tapping and pinging. Hopefully this isn't the case, but eh. Good luck man. Let us know how you make out.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:20 PM
Trak350
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like more and more these days you need to do a complete check of the bike at the dealer prior to riding off. QC seems to be a thing of the past. Pinging could be caused by excess oxygen entering the engine and running lean... What do your plugs look like?

Old 07-18-2014, 05:10 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by sioux565
While all independent shops aren't perfect, most people, including myself, have had better luck getting work done there as opposed to a HD dealer.
Most people? How do you know that?

OP: I also think those screws went down the intake...

They probably did not follow the installation procedure, the screws must be installed through the backing plate and gasket first, then they are threaded into the throttle body, evenly. They probably did not use any threadlocker.

Just an FYI: When removing backing plate screws, always loosen them evenly while pulling back on the backing plate, this will keep the screws from threading into the backing plate threads (the threads are not aligned, it is a sort of retaining system in case the screws come loose). If you just zip them out of the throttle body and backing plate at the same time, the screws will just make new threads in the plastic backing plate, and there goes your secondary screw retaining safety feature.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 07-18-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:37 PM
WhiteNoise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why did you take it apart? They did the work. You should have taken it back to them. Or had them pick it up.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:42 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteNoise
Why did you take it apart? They did the work. You should have taken it back to them. Or had them pick it up.
In fairness, after 5000 miles since that work was done, why would he even suspect that his current problem was in any way related to that service visit, until he took it apart and made the connection?

Jim G

Old 07-18-2014, 11:35 PM
DigbyHD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just assumed that I had a bad gasket and decided to investigate. After 5 k it's really my problem if it was a gasket.
But since the screws were missing I figured it was their problem.
If the screws ended up in the engine than I would think id have bigger issues. And yes they could just tell me where to go but I called them and they did not argue and they are coming to get the bike.
I am concerned about sucking in dirty air for all this time.
I gave them the intake used and may of not had all the parts but with that said a hd dealer should never leave screws missing.
Thank you all for ur input. If it's 3 screws and a new gasket to fix it than no harm done But if it's more than who knows if their willing to fix it.

Last edited by DigbyHD; 07-18-2014 at 11:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Dealer forgot a couple bolts?? Help