Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jagg 10-pass oil cooler install onto Breakout

Old 07-21-2014, 08:55 AM
Norms 427
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

1. I installed HD's center mount oil cooler on my '05 Heritage just before my recent 4,500 mile trip around the northern USA. I like it.

2. It's interesting that on the 2014 models that the Ultra Classic with the liquid cooled heads does not come with an oil cooler. But the rest of the touring line without the liquid cooled heads all come standard with oil coolers.

3. And the 2014 softails come with ABS standard but no oil coolers.

Last edited by Norms 427; 07-21-2014 at 12:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
borno (03-19-2017)
Old 07-22-2014, 04:56 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Bob, it is POSSIBLE that Jagg has changed the configuration.

I say this because Mike Lozano told me that you used to have to order things like the anti-torque part separately, but when I was researching my purchase, I found that it is now included on all kits. Furthermore, the kit includes 4 different sets of mounts for 4 different sizes of tubing.
Changes in configuration are always possible - I purchased mine 6 months ago and it had the lock and the 4 frame adapters.

Again, I emphasize this is just a possibility. A prospective serious buyer could call Jagg and ask.
Always the best suggestion!

Old 07-22-2014, 05:16 PM
FurryOne
Road Master

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
See above.
Oh man, you're not gonna make this quoting easy are you?

There is no way to cleanly add "spacers". The cooler is designed to hang directly on the "rubbery" tubing mounts to control vibration. Adding extensions would give the cooler (with its weight) too much leverage and would likely snap the rubbery mounts over time. The spacers would also look clunky. And, they would make the cooler stick out like a sore thumb, even worse than when mounted correctly.
I fab'd a set of spacers yesterday and did a quick mount with the SS hardware I had on hand. It extends the cooler about 3/4" away from the frame. I need to stop at Fastenal and pick up some shorter bolts, then paint it black.

I certainly can't say anything about his tuning, but as I pointed out previously, I'm not thrilled about how he installed your cooler - it's just my opinion. I like the braided lines, and wish Jagg had gone to them, but I'll stick with plain old rubber - tried & true.

Attached Thumbnails Jagg 10-pass oil cooler install onto Breakout-img_0861.jpg  
Old 07-22-2014, 10:13 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Pa-Rider
As much as I want to put one on my breakout, I don't care for the look of the oil cooler hanging off the side of the downtube. I'm looking to see if I can find one that's horizontal, or go with one that mounts under the bike. (like oilbud oil cooler)
How about the six-row side mount edge cut, not too too big. A nice compromise of form/ function.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:00 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

So would guard chaps fit over this cooler in the Winter time?

Old 07-23-2014, 06:34 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne
I don't get it. He goes through the pain of adding adapters, and then routes the lines like a masochist. IMO, he should have installed some 90 degree adapters to clean up the fact that his transition made the connections too long - they actually go too low, then come back up to get to the filter adapter. That's not needed on a correct install on a Breakout. And Jagg's "ugly rubber lines"?? Oh brother!

I'm glad this "Mike" never worked on my bike! I've got another name for the cobb-job he did, and it ain't politically correct. Sorry Jim, but he could have done a much better job for less of your money - at least that's my opinion.
Actually, Mike did it right and you're a ways off. Gentle bends in hoses are much less restrictive than 90 degree fittings, in general. Kind of depends on the details of the fitting though.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:51 PM
FurryOne
Road Master

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Actually, Mike did it right and you're a ways off. Gentle bends in hoses are much less restrictive than 90 degree fittings, in general. Kind of depends on the details of the fitting though.
You can't have it both ways - either I'm right or I'm wrong. Type AN fittings come in various radiused bends that are good enough to use on racing engines and aircraft engines. Unless you're saying an HD engine has more stringent requirements. Here's a good 90 for this type of application.

Attached Thumbnails Jagg 10-pass oil cooler install onto Breakout-fbm4432.jpg  
Old 07-24-2014, 12:24 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne
You can't have it both ways - either I'm right or I'm wrong.
Really?
I'd say you're right about some 90 degree fittings flowing pretty well, and wrong about Mike having done the installation poorly or incorrectly.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:34 PM
FurryOne
Road Master

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Really?
I'd say you're right about some 90 degree fittings flowing pretty well, and wrong about Mike having done the installation poorly or incorrectly.
If you can go back and look at the picture Jim took and tell me the way the hoses were routed is "good practices", then i'm afraid you don't know what "good practices" are (pertaining to hydraulic hoses).

Old 07-26-2014, 11:45 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

Hey, this Jagg 10-pass oil cooler really works. This morning, I put on 101 miles, most of it highway at 55 to 65 mph, with some passing through small towns at 35 to 45 mph.

I checked the oil temperature via my LCD dipstick 3 times, and the highest reading I got all morning was 208 degrees.

The ambient outdoor temperature started off at 76 degrees, but was at 89 degrees for the last 2 readings. The final reading, at 99 miles, taken immediately after shutting down the engine at the gas station 2 miles from home, was 206.

Recalling my first post in this thread, that this is very significantly lower than the temperature readings I was getting before the oil cooler install.

I'm feeling good about oil life in my engine now.

Jim G

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jagg 10-pass oil cooler install onto Breakout