Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

13 Fatboy hand levers-Torx or hex ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 09:06 AM
want2ride
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 13 Fatboy hand levers-Torx or hex ?

New to the tinkering on the 13 Fatboy Lo, Im trying to adjust my Clutch & Front brake levers for comfort (dealer wants $100) Not sure if its a hex or a torx bit. I tried a torx T25 seems to small theres a bit of play when inserted so I tried a T30 and was way to large. So I didnt attempt yet. Im not familiar with hex or torx bit sizes. I dont want to strip the heads of the screws as I did with one on the fender strut with a cheap T45 torx bit ( I bought/returned ) from home depot when I attempted the rear signal relocates. So I thought Id start with a simpler tweak to the hand levers. Manual doesnt state what size bit to use it only states the torque. Also is loctite blue necessary when removing and reinstalling any of the bolts/screws on the bike. For example the horn cover nut, since I replaced the horn cover last week and just reinstalled the Factory nut by hand tightening with no locktite should I have used locktite blue ? Thanks for the help.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:18 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

You need a T27 torx bit. I don't know why many of the sets don't include it. My advice on tools is buy the best you can afford. When putting the screws back in after you make your adjustments be sure to put a dab of blue lock-tite on them or later on down the road they can and will fall out.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:57 AM
want2ride
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
You need a T27 torx bit. I don't know why many of the sets don't include it. My advice on tools is buy the best you can afford. When putting the screws back in after you make your adjustments be sure to put a dab of blue lock-tite on them or later on down the road they can and will fall out.
Misbehaven, thank you for the speedy reply and reading my post fully. Is craftsman torx ok to buy, the price point is same as Home Depot so perhaps its the same lesser quality ? I here Lowes makes snap on is that true ? Should my torx bit purchase be tempered bits ? I dont even know what tempered means (hardened steel ) ? Thanks again.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:04 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Craftsman tools are fine. On your strut bolts try heating them up really good with a soldering iron before you remove them. That will release the factory thread locker.