Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Craftsman Torx set - This set worth buying

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
Another invaluable tool is a nice hand impact wrench. Helps to break free some of the smaller stubborn bolts.
Something like this
Amazon Amazon
I had one stuck firm and my buddy had one of these and it worked awesome. Reasonably priced also. Good idea.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:45 PM
want2ride
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So here is the sale deal I got today on craftsman tools. Hope these things do the job.

7 piece T Handle Torx set - paid $21.46 Reg $34.99
42 Pc. Torx Socket Set - paid $39.99 Reg $99.99
3/8 drive Torque Wrench - paid $13.96 Reg $24.99

$81. Total with Tax, if they bite and break em loose I'll be Happy..

Attached Thumbnails Craftsman Torx set - This set worth buying-torx.jpg  
Old 07-22-2014, 03:12 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Another invaluable tool is a nice hand impact wrench. Helps to break free some of the smaller stubborn bolts.
Something like this
Amazon Amazon
The Impact Driver makes short work of stubborn fasteners. Use a bit of caution ( and be sure the drive is set in the proper direction ) and eye protection. Most Torx bits are hardened and can shatter. That being said I'd invest in a QUALITY #27 Torx bit. Most quality tools carry a lifetime warranty however they DO NOT WARRANTY eyes and damaged fasteners as a result of the failure of the Torx Bit. This advice comes from years of turning wrenches for a living.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:43 PM
chrisj49
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
The Impact Driver makes short work of stubborn fasteners. Use a bit of caution ( and be sure the drive is set in the proper direction ) and eye protection. Most Torx bits are hardened and can shatter. That being said I'd invest in a QUALITY #27 Torx bit. Most quality tools carry a lifetime warranty however they DO NOT WARRANTY eyes and damaged fasteners as a result of the failure of the Torx Bit. This advice comes from years of turning wrenches for a living.
Larry -
Do you have some recommendations? It would be great to know what brands you feel meet the needed quality level, especially for Torx. I have not had problems with Craftsman, but have seen Torx tools that are not even close in tolerance or quality. These seem to be our biggest headaches and I agree buying the quality once would be worth it.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:04 AM
Liberator
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well regarded stuff that will probably outlive you: http://www.skhandtool.com/

Old 07-23-2014, 09:42 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,806 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisj49
Larry -
Do you have some recommendations? It would be great to know what brands you feel meet the needed quality level, especially for Torx. I have not had problems with Craftsman, but have seen Torx tools that are not even close in tolerance or quality. These seem to be our biggest headaches and I agree buying the quality once would be worth it.
I use Mac tools for torx drivers.Pricey yes but have yet to break one after 8 years. They get used a lot.Most all my other tools are a mix of Sears and Snap On. I have many of each brand that are old as hell and work like new.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:21 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisj49
Larry -
Originally Posted by Liberator
Well regarded stuff that will probably outlive you: http://www.skhandtool.com/
Originally Posted by back again
I use Mac tools for torx drivers.Pricey yes but have yet to break one after 8 years. They get used a lot.Most all my other tools are a mix of Sears and Snap On. I have many of each brand that are old as hell and work like new.

Snap-On and Mac Are quality tools ... I haven't used S&K in a long time ... They use to be real good too

Old 07-24-2014, 05:11 AM
westnash
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my story: I bought the set and it arrived quick and was well made EXCEPT instead of including the T-15 and T-25 there were 2 T-15s and no T-25. I contacted customer service and asked if they could send the missing size. They said no but they would issue FUll credit and I could reorder. I will check, but think I got full credit but wont reorder and will buy the missing T-25 when I get a chance. So I think I got a bargain in any event.

This is the lifetime guarantee set and looks well made.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:25 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Craftsman,Mac,Matco,Cornwell and S&K I've seen them all break when improperly used. Most major brands are only as good as the hands that use them.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:34 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,806 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Craftsman,Mac,Matco,Cornwell and S&K I've seen them all break when improperly used. Most major brands are only as good as the hands that use them.
Ditto that Misbehaven. The impact wrench,dead blow hammer and a good heat gun will help greatly in tool life. Along with the knowledge of how to use them.

Quick Reply: Craftsman Torx set - This set worth buying