Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Craftsman Torx set - This set worth buying

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:08 AM
want2ride
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Craftsman Torx set - This set worth buying

Is this set worth me buying or are they cheap quality and will break off at first crack, I seen two prices of this same set on ebay one is $299 and the link below is $39.99 same part # for both sets go figure .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Awesome-Craf..._Tools&vxp=mtr

Old 07-22-2014, 10:34 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

It's on sale for $39.99 at Sears. Probably more Torx sizes than the Harley uses. But, it'll give ya what ya need for a good price. Craftsman tools have a lifetime warranty. So, it seems like a no-brainer. The biggest failure cause for Torx is using too small size, make sure you use the right size.

Btw...I have a reversing, ratchet screwdriver that has a kit of Torx, slotted, and Phillips heads. Got it at ahold Depot. This works better than a ratchet wrench on low torque applications.

Attached Thumbnails Craftsman Torx set - This set worth buying-image.jpg  
Old 07-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks like a nicee set. Craftsman is life time warranty so if you break one take it back to sears and get a new one. Order from them cheaper or pick up in store.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-42-pi...p-00934845000P

Old 07-22-2014, 10:38 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,343 Likes on 3,278 Posts

I like to buy a decent set but then I buy the normal HD sizes, specially t27... I have several of those in several locations...Other sizes are pretty common in sets. like T25, T40 t45 etc...
I like the ones from Thorsen or the ones from Advance auto parts, they seem to last pretty good and are not to expensive,

Old 07-22-2014, 10:50 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by want2ride
Is this set worth me buying or are they cheap quality and will break off at first crack
I think the Craftsman's set is a good choice, it has a lot of combinations.

Another option is Lowes.
Kobalt is also warranted for life and there's a lot more Lowes stores these days than Sears.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_515933-41790...set&facetInfo=

I'd also pickup a set of t-handles. I'm not sure if Lowes sells a set but I have the below Craftsman's set and I use them way more than the bit set.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-7pc-t...p-00946410000P

Old 07-22-2014, 10:50 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Another invaluable tool is a nice hand impact wrench. Helps to break free some of the smaller stubborn bolts.
Something like this
Amazon Amazon

Old 07-22-2014, 10:56 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I'd also pickup a set of t-handles. I'm not sure if Lowes sells a set but I have the below Craftsman's set and I use them way more than the bit set.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-7pc-t...p-00946410000P
Bondhus also makes some great T handle sets. I have the Ball hex, Torx , regular hex all in standard and metric.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...dhus+t-handles

Old 07-22-2014, 11:08 AM
PikeAl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for what it's worth...a lot of the stuff Sears sells these days are made in China. If you care about that sort of stuff...look at the fine print on the box. When I got my bike and needed to add some tools to the garage I went with Lowes. Not made in the USA, but not Chinese garbage either. I believe Kobalt tools are made in Korea and seem to be quality tools. Like was mentioned before...they are also guaranteed for life.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:56 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Made in China buy American blah blah blah!

If people only knew how much stuff under their nose comes from China and yet they use it without a second thought...

Most of my tools are Craftsman and I have no complaints about any of them. Are there better tool makers out there? Sure. For a greater cost! And that would matter if you are a full time mechanic wrenching hardcore everyday. Otherwise, Craftsman is fine. I signed on to their Craftsman club which is free and gives you special discounts on different things every month.

As some have stated, it's hard to go wrong given their lifetime warranty. If one of the pieces breaks you take it to any Sears and they'll give you a new one. They are so good about this that I have found broken wrenches in places such as junk yards and I have taken them to Sears and gotten a new one for it. They don't even ask you for a receipt. They just look to see if it's an actual Craftsman.

That said, the lifetime warranty does NOT apply to every single Craftsman tool so make sure you know that before you buy one of their products if the warranty matters to you. It will say so right on the packaging. Most of their hand tools such as wrenches, ratchets, sockets and screwdrivers have it. Things like power tools don't. Tools such as a hose clamp wrench which uses a long cable that can fray and break with regular use does not have a lifetime warranty but you can just replace the broken cable. Basically, just double check when you buy that the Craftsman lifetime warranty applies before you buy it if you are worried about how good the tool is and how long it will last you. And if I'm not mistaken, this sort of selective warranty of items does not just pertain to Craftsman but to other tool makers as well. It's more about the type of tool than about who makes it.

Last edited by Skeezmachine; 07-22-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:55 PM
chrisj49
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

I have that set, and a smaller Craftsman set that was made in the US. I can't see a quality difference between the two.
I agree on the Bondhus tools - I have the foldup sets and the L-shaped sets and they are top notch.

Quick Reply: Craftsman Torx set - This set worth buying