Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis must haves for your soft tail.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 11:54 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I trailered my Softail SS last year (I know, I'm a pos and not worthy). I had a solo seat, no saddlebags, no windshield with drag bars. I used a Saracini handlebar bag that worked like a champ. I was large enough to carry the essentials and acted as a wind blocker on my bars.

I neglected to bring a gore-tex rain jacket for the evening thunder storms. Air mattresses are better than self inflating mattresses. Watch the curves in the mountains, they sneak up on you when you least expect it. Making a solo run to Alzada MT isn't a good idea.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:59 PM
sno-man
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the tips guys, planning on making my first trip this year.......

Old 07-24-2014, 08:23 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sadly, unless I take a week to get there and back my days of those long rides are over too. My bike is pretty much set up for comfort but years of abuse and age has taken its toll on my bones and joints. The 1st thing at the top of my list to get now that I am retired is a nice light little trailer. I also plan on putting in a fold down bunk bed in it too. I am even toying with the idea of ventilating it, install a fan, a small heater and possibly even a small electric fridge. It's going to be my trailer, rolling garage and a camper.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:27 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Lysol wipes...biker chicks can have sanitary issues...

Old 07-24-2014, 09:10 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

Not being a seasoned road warrior I can't offer too much advice, but I can say you should have at least 50% more money available to you than you figure you'll need.

Also, don't forget that there are 3 Walmart stores within 30 miles of Sturgis. 1 in Spearfish and two in Rapid City, so don't take anything consumable or any supplies you don't plan on bringing home that you can get at Walmart. Such as a "styrofoam cooler".

I'm here now enjoying the Black Hills for at least the 20+ time.
After living here for 12 years, the Rally crowd just doesn't appeal to me as much as the Black Hills does so the Wife and I are getting our "Sturgis" feel and Black Hills riding done now before hell breaks loose in week or so.

For those coming in next week, ride safe brothers and sisters and remember it's not where the party is, but rather who the party is with.

Below is a pic this morning off the balcony of the vacation home near Sheridan Lake that I'm lucky to be staying in for free. Life is good.

Attached Thumbnails Sturgis must haves for your soft tail.-image.jpg  

Last edited by Bluraven; 07-24-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Dutch101st
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Lysol wipes...biker chicks can have sanitary issues...
Can't go wrong with a full body condom...is that what you are alluding to?!?

Old 07-24-2014, 05:07 PM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
Sadly, unless I take a week to get there and back my days of those long rides are over too. My bike is pretty much set up for comfort but years of abuse and age has taken its toll on my bones and joints. The 1st thing at the top of my list to get now that I am retired is a nice light little trailer. I also plan on putting in a fold down bunk bed in it too. I am even toying with the idea of ventilating it, install a fan, a small heater and possibly even a small electric fridge. It's going to be my trailer, rolling garage and a camper.

Tony. It sounds like you just need to buy a small toy hauler. My 76 year old uncle has been retired for years and travels everywhere with his EG Ultra Classic inside his toy hauler. He is showing 75,000 + on his bike. He is a single guy and is making the most of his retirement. I only hope my retirement is as fun as his.

Last edited by kneesinthebreeze; 07-24-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:46 PM
jm35ny
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Have fun hopefully i`ll make it out sometime soon!

Old 07-24-2014, 09:47 PM
Milwaukeebuddy
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd recommend a tour Pak for your bike.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:36 AM
Prw3
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

All great suggestions so far. You can also UPS all your gear etc. Most camp grounds except deliveries and will hold them until you arrive and will also ship them back out to you at the end of the rally. Works great as all you’ll need on the bike are the basics like a back pack. I use to ride there every year when I lived in Seattle. I strongly suggest pulling off the road for the night once the sun sets as the deer and Elk come out and if you choose to gamble and run the night time deer gauntlet you will lose. You’ll start seeing lots of them dead on the side of the road, its hard not to notice that the big rigs in that part of the country all have Mad Max like steel grill guards across the front of their cabs and for good reason. Not an issue in Sturgis as there will be plenty of noise keeping them away but on hiways and back roads be very careful as they are so well camouflaged you usually won’t see them until you are right on top of them or them on top of you. Every year you hear about someone being taken out by wild life.....completely avoidable. Another great road trip suggestion I got after the first year riding there was to get one of those crystal/gel neck wraps that you soak in water, they keep you a good 10/15 deg cooler while riding as will a long sleeve t-shirt...nothing worse then arriving and being sunburnt for the rest of the week. Have a great trip!

Last edited by Prw3; 07-27-2014 at 06:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Sturgis must haves for your soft tail.