Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch/Shifter- Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Dutch101st
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Clutch/Shifter- Issue?

I noticed last night that my clutch would not engage when sitting at a stop light...I would shift down (at a stand still) or up and there would not be that ole familiar "clunk". However when I would let out slightly on the clutch lever, it would engage but I would have to do this for each gear. I am thinking that this might be a clutch cable adjustment...???

My Slim has 3405 miles on it, the 1000 mile service was done back in May.

Sorry for the rookie question, but I am still learning...

Thoughts?

Old 07-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Strahley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds normal to me. Any Harley I've ridden (even brand new ones) has to have the clutch lever come out just a little and/or the bike has to roll just a tiny bit if I'm trying to shift it while sitting still

If it were mine, as long as it functions fine while riding I wouldn't worry about it (and I don't, as mine is the same way). If it really bothers you, have them do a clutch adjustment...but I'd wager that it would function the same after they were done

Old 07-24-2014, 12:39 AM
Dutch101st
Road Captain

Clutch cable adjustment did the trick...I used to be a truck mechanic in the army so I have a solid mechanical background, bike is new to me

After thinking about it and looking at things, the clutch lever was waaaaay out of spec. A little adjustment and back in business!

Old 07-24-2014, 05:41 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I have had to adjust my current clutch cable 3 times in 2000 miles. I have had the same with other new cables as well. They some times stretch a bit when new. Some more then others.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:02 AM
Ragnar
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad you got it straightened out. Like Misbehaven said, cables stretch/relax and settle in. I'm going to have to adjust my clutch and throttle/idle cables for the second time here in about 1500 miles. Hopefully, that will be the end of it.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:26 AM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Are you guys doing the full adjustment; ie taking the derby cover off and adjusting the clutch pack along with the play at the lever? Or are you talking about adjusting the slack at the lever only?

Old 07-24-2014, 07:39 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeinsc
Are you guys doing the full adjustment; ie taking the derby cover off and adjusting the clutch pack along with the play at the lever? Or are you talking about adjusting the slack at the lever only?
Any time I put a new clutch cable on I do a full adjustment. After the cable stretches a little I just make my adjustments on the cable itself.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Dutch101st
Road Captain

I just did the cable; my bike is new and has just 3400 miles on it. I really didnt realize (duh, ya thought I would have) the amount of slack in the lever. It is a little tight (not out of spec, but pushing the envelope) and I may back it off a skosh or I may just let it stretch again.

Now the throttle/idle I may ding with a bit as the throttle response has kinda faded a tad. Will see tho.

I am coming up on my 5K service, so I will see what the shop tells me. The H-D shop that I go to has a service dept that is on the level and not schiestery.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,539 Likes on 3,791 Posts

Might have already been said, but never shift down thru gears or up while setting still. Unless your carefully and easy and may even need to rock bike or let out clutch a little and back if you happen to have to make a quick stop and do not get it down shifted while in motion.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:48 PM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Might have already been said, but never shift down thru gears or up while setting still.
Why? I have seen this done plenty.

Quick Reply: Clutch/Shifter- Issue?