Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night train engine options

Old 07-23-2014, 07:16 PM
CanuckTrain
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Night train engine options

Hello everyone! I've been searching the web looking for answers and end up more confused than when I started. I have a 2006 FXSTBI with the 88B engine and I'm looking for a big displacement upgrade. I sorta have my heart set on 124". The S&S hot setup kit is an option but i'm having trouble locating one and it required boring the cases. Ideally I'd like to find a complete engine but S&S doesn't make a replacement for the 88B? Apparently Jim's makes a 120" but I'm having trouble finding the version for my bike or a vender to order it from. Can anyone help in that respect? What am I looking at cost wise? Keep in mind I'm in Canada, I'm close to the Montana border though so shipping costs aren't really a concern, i have place I can ship to in Sweetgrass.

I'm thinking another option is to buy a 96B and build it to 103, with a set of cams and a tune it'll would be a big upgrade. Is this even possible? Will a 2007 up 96B or the newer 103" bolt into my 06 FSXT frame? I've seen a couple 103"s in the classifieds and wondered. This would be the cheaper way to go I'm sure but like I said, I'm kinda set on the 124 or more displacement and I sold my hotrod to upgrade the bike so I have funds allocated for this rediculous endeavor, I'm tired of being at the back of the pack sucking CVO exhaust!!

If theres already a thread about this, I appolize, I couldn't find it.

Thanks!
Aaron

Old 07-24-2014, 07:32 AM
black01
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Jims also makes a 131" for softails. I would e mail and see if they have a dealer close to you.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:01 AM
jm35ny
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I`m currently looking at some of the 107 kits, add some cams and light headwork and 110hp/tq seems easily within reach.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:49 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

Jims part number 1508-3530 for the 131

part number1408-3530 for the 120

Add a Baker 6 speed and oil cooler plus you may want to change your throttle body.

Don't have current pricing.

They sell through HD Dealers.

Neither are "street legal".

You might be better off, since you live where your bike is down about half the year, to have a custom shop build one for you... both in price and in getting what you want. Hillside cycle is one place that seems to have a good reputation. I'm sure that there are others.

Don't know if an HD dealer will provide any warranty for these... probably not.

Last edited by cwsharp; 07-25-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:52 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Give Kevin a call at ProTwin Performance. He is a MASTER HD engine builder and has people send him bikes from all over the country. He sells kits for the DIY folks as well and can deliver any size, hp/tq, you're looking for and it will be right.

I'll be building a monster 113" the winter of '15.

http://protwin.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-T...69395069738582

Old 08-17-2014, 12:26 PM
CanuckTrain
5th Gear

Thanks for the info fellas, I'm going to go down to the HD shop tomorrow and see what they have to say. A simple motor swap would be a lot easier than splitting the cases. I've been seriously considering the S&S kit and doing the work myself to save some cash for other mods (and I like being able to say I built things). I've been researching the tools and techniques needed, nothing seems TOO terribly difficult. The difficulty lies in finding a shop to do the machining and Timkin bearing install. What do you guys think?

Old 09-22-2014, 02:39 PM
CanuckTrain
5th Gear

So, I've decided I'm going to go with the SE 120R. My local dealer has a fatboy in the showroom with one in it so he let me take it for a burn, Sold, done deal, decision made! Now I'm just working on the parts list to put it all together. I do have a couple questions to ask those wiser than I..

Do drivetrain parts meant for my bike still fit with this engine? Specifically clutch and compensator. I'll obviously need to upgrade both with the increased power but the SE compensator doesn't list my bike in the '14 catalog and I want to be sure I order the correct clutch. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
Another issue is which ACR harness do I need. I know I'll have to switch and add some wires on the fuse block and reprogram the ECM but I'm not too sure which harness I need.
Yeah, I could probably ask the parts guy at my local dealer these questions but he fouled up when I ordered swingarm bolt covers, nevermind drivetrain and wiring parts lol I'd like to know what I need when I go in to order it all rather than depending on his "expertise"...
If anyone has any experience putting a 120R in a softail, I'd love your input! I did find a thread in the touring section about a 120R in a SG but it was a newer bike than mine so parts were listed for it. Thanks in advance!!

Old 09-22-2014, 10:41 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default go faster

Good choice with the 120, just order it for your year and it should be right. At least you can still get a service at the HD shops. Don't know what the duties are but maybe Great Falls might be cheaper. 37970-03 is the clutch I would use. I'm using the 37976-08a because mines an 11 and it holds my 124 just fine. You're getting the basic long block but will need pipes, compensator, and an intake system, air cleaner, tuner, etc. I used an HPI 58mm throttle body with 5.3 injectors if I remember right with a 62mm manifold. 2" pipes to handle the exhaust flow. One thing you really need to think about is upgrading your transmission, especially if it's a 5 speed. I went to a Baker 7 speed and think it's the best mod I've done to the bike. Lower first gear and stock final drive. An od6 speed would be ok to but not much more money if you catch a sell on the 7. If you use the ACR's you have to tie into the wiring at the plug to the ECM and then have it programed unless you use the Power Vision tuner which has a box to click that will take care of the programing. I have the ACR's on my heads but never hooked them up cause I just use manual compression releases. Sure makes a fun bike. Mine is a Fatboy and I also have a Crossbones with a 107. Quite a difference on the fun meter. Really think about the tranny because both my brothers have 5 speeds and they're pulling about 300 more rpm's when we're on the same pace. One has a 80" Evo and I get the same mileage within a tenth and the other has a 107 in a 99 and gets way worse mileage than I. By the time your done you'll be about 10k lighter in the pocket book if done right!(trust me). I live in Ak so everything cost lots more but Canada is worse. Utilize the border for sure.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:51 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default another thought

Have you considered a 98" all bore job. They're pretty impressive and will spank a 96. I did a hotrod 95" in my last Road Glide and it would spank every 96 I run against. I sold the RG and bought my 11 Fatboy and what a pooch it was. Couldn't get out of it's own shadow. It's now turned into a S&S 124 that I talked about in my last post but cripes it was a pocket drainer but fun now. My Brothers 107 all bore TC is an animal but it requires a case bore. Isn't Head Quarters located in BC? They do some good work I've heard.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:27 AM
CanuckTrain
5th Gear

If I was going to bore the cases I'd probably got with the 124 but decided against it for simplicity reasons. I want to do the majority of the work myself and swapping the entire engine is easier than splitting the cases ect. I hope to sell my 88 to recoop some of the costs as well. I don't know what i could get for it but even $1500 would be alright.
My dealer quoted me $11k for the 120 installed with everything needed. They want $7200+ 5% GST for just the engine, they figured $9k in parts, $2k in labor. I've been looking for a dealer in the states that will ship up here but no such luck. I'll call Great Falls today maybe, I'm only 3 hours away so it might be worth the drive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Night train engine options