Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 11:40 PM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR
Received 20,402 Likes on 7,991 Posts

Power Vision. Though a caveat....

It worked great for my air cleaner and slip ons that I originally bought it for. However, the PV doesn't work for crap (auto-tune) with my current exhaust. Dyno-Jet confirmed the exhaust I have is beyond the capabilities of the auto-tune feature. I'll need a dyno-tune since actually fooling with the tuning tables manually is beyond my skills.

That's okay, I still love the PV and I like being able to flash the ECM without using a piggy-back and then remove it all together. It's got so many more features than a piggy-back module. You can read and reset fault codes...you can show "gauges" on the screen for many data streams. ie: engine temp, RPM, Throttle pos, battery voltage...etc etc etc.

Though, I will tell you, several of the dyno-tune shops that I spoke to recently all say the Power Commander V is the one to have.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:54 PM
deezy139
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mean to thread jack, but does anyone have any positives and negatives to add to the discussion with regards to Vance and Hines FP3? I too am starting to do my research into the stage 1 area, and that's the one that caught my eye. Reviews I've read seem good, but I know that's only part of the story.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:28 AM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

PV2 because its way more than just a tuner and has everyday usefulness. I use the gauge set to read head temos, Charging voltage, Intake Air temp,

I is not a "tune and throw in the drawer" Tuner The interface is great and Fuel Moto is very supportive,

Old 07-31-2014, 07:05 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

I've got the V&H Fuel Pak; cheap, plug and play, easy to program and performs well.
Plus since everyone seems to want to go to tuners that are designed for stage 2 or higher upgrades, you can get a Fuel Pak for half the new price if you search e-bay long enough.

From the vast reading I've done on this subject, for a stage 1 upgraded motor anything more than a simple fuel tuner is pretty much a waste of money. You might see a little bit of benefit from an advanced tuner, but for the hundreds of dollars more than a fuel tuner the benefit is not worth it.

So unless you are going to upgrade to stage 2 or higher stay with just a fuel tuner.

That all being said, for me if I was going with an advanced tuner and wanted spend the money it probably would be the Power vision with the autotune option from Fuel Moto. It reads as one of the best tuners out there.

Last edited by Bluraven; 07-31-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:33 AM
Melman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always run the Screaming Eagle Race tuner. I'm not saying it's any better but I've also had no issues so why change. I've also never used any of the auto-tunes but am very intrigued by them. My younger brother just bought a '14 S/G and he's looking at the PC5. Price...you need to really look. I just bought a new SE off EBay for $300.00.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:40 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

14 Softail Slim. Rush 1.75 slip on mufflers and Harley SE air cleaner. I have the HD stage 1 download and XiED's. Bike runs great. The XiED's richen up the closed loop and the HD download richens up the open loop to compensate for the changes. People like to bad mouth these choices but they work, are simple and cheap. However, I would only recommend this for slip on mufflers and air cleaner. Beyond that you will need something else.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:52 AM
Mathis
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
Power Vision. Though a caveat....

It worked great for my air cleaner and slip ons that I originally bought it for. However, the PV doesn't work for crap (auto-tune) with my current exhaust.
What's the current exhaust?

Old 07-31-2014, 09:02 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 308 Posts

Contact a guy named Reed at Sun Harley in Denver Colorado. Ask him about the Vance and Hines fuelpak3. If your running stage one or two, he has lots of great reasons to run this new tuner. You will be shocked to hear him say dyno time is not needed with his tuner and simple exhaust and air cleaner upgrade.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:04 PM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
Contact a guy named Reed at Sun Harley in Denver Colorado. Ask him about the Vance and Hines fuelpak3. If your running stage one or two, he has lots of great reasons to run this new tuner. You will be shocked to hear him say dyno time is not needed with his tuner and simple exhaust and air cleaner upgrade.
Interesting. As much as the original fuelpak sucked the latest one appears to be pretty good. The choices seem to be getting better and better.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:29 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

I'll agree 100% that tuners have gotten a lot better in the past several years. The Autotune tuners seem like they might actually work now.

I have a SESPT but I got it thrown in with the bike when I bought it. I'd like to find an EZ tuner that doesn't take so much work to get the bike right.

Quick Reply: Tuner Question