Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King VS. Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 11:34 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
The answers here seem to lean toward the Deluxe. You might post the same question in the Touring forum.
Yeah, the responses might be slanted towards a Deluxe when you are in the Softail forum. SJ Ron

Old 07-27-2014, 01:58 PM
kizzletruck
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man... You guys sure know how to make a guys life easy, Lol. As far as money goes, I cannot afford to buy a new CVO RK, or Deluxe for that matter. And for me, since I tear the things down to practically nothing anyhow, it isn't worth it for me to buy a new bike (at least not to me). I might as well buy used, spare a little money, that way I can put more into it to make it mine. I'll probably be looking to spend somewhere between 11-13k which seems pretty standard around where I am at on Craigslist for a used Deluxe.

Why don't I give you an idea of what I had in mind for a build, and you guys can then give me your opinion. Seems like there is quite a few of you who have had RK's in the past, so that might be just enough for me. I still want to test ride a RK, just to get a feel.

Here is what I've got in mind for a build (for a 'Luxe).
New paint/powdercoat various items
Stretched rear fender
Stretched RK bags (Using the Cyclevisions mount kit?)
Shotgun rear
Progressive kit up front
Fat Spokes (16"/21" more than likely)
18" apes
A good 2-up seat, and a good solo seat for hot-rodding
36" fishtails
Probably some extra bits and pieces that are of "small detail" nature.
Maybe some motor work?

So I guess my answer is probably at hand. I have seen a couple Road Kings at the dealer without the bags on it - and I just cannot get passed the clutter. I'm still going to ride one, but I think I already know what I'm going to want. Since I will be running a lot of the time without bags, the Deluxe is probably a better way to go. Besides, I loved my Night Train, and the only reason I got out of it was to still be with my head above water. Essentially, I had nearly turned it into a Deluxe anyways (minus the FL front end). As far as the bagger kits that are available for the softail, do they make a quick release system (I have seen the 'pull the pin' style on he RK's)? I also will be wanting to use a sissy bar (quick release) for the fiancee - she insists.

I guess the saga continues....

Old 07-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Love the above post.
Thanks man. Ah, it's all fun and games until somebody gets their crown knocked off. Am I lying though? No says I !

If you do decide to go the touring route there kizz, one Road King model I found that sits very close to my Deluxe is the Custom. It's lowered, has an in-the-bike-feel to it, and the bars are just right. For me anyway. If I ever get a second bike I'd like it to look just like this one right here;

As far as a Road King minus the bags, it doesn't have to look awful. Swapping out for some chrome parts cleans things up nicely. Still a little awkward around the back of the side panels and swingarm though.

Last edited by Sleeko; 07-27-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:58 PM
kizzletruck
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as a Road King minus the bags, it doesn't have to look awful. Swapping out for some chrome parts cleans things up nicely. Still a little awkward around the back of the side panels and swingarm though.
I have looked at several pics online of RK's that have gone bagless. I just can't get past the side panels, and the design of the fender struts. They are just too "bulky" - kind of remind me of some giant cast pieces you would find on an old studebaker or something. The softail struts are just a much leaner, and cleaner design IMO.

I do like the way that RK's look with bags on, but I just don't see myself leaving the bags on all of the time. Take these two bikes for instance - very good looking RK's and right along the lines of what I would do to one:

But then I saw these Deluxe's and about had to change pants:

I'm sure most, if not all, of the above bikes were built by forum members, but I pulled them from Google, so I haven't a clue as to who deserves credit. Feels to me like I was meant to be on a Softail, at least for now.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:01 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

The Duluxe is a very cool bike, and my wife really wants one. But it has really limited cornering clearance, and I know she'll outride that within a week of buying it.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:31 PM
Maitiu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know anything about a RK. But I can tell you I just bought a 2014 Deluxe, it's my first Harely, and I'm having a blast on it.

Don't know what that other guy is talking about when he mentions $2000 for suspension upgrades. Thing drives just fine stock.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:35 PM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
The Duluxe is a very cool bike, and my wife really wants one. But it has really limited cornering clearance, and I know she'll outride that within a week of buying it.
Inside slam to Deluxe owners?

Old 07-27-2014, 08:48 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by UT-rckr
In my experience the RK feels more like you are riding on it (the top heavy feeling others have mentioned) while the heritage feels more like you are riding in it. I personally didn't care for the RK feeling.
Trust me i felt the same way when i first bought my new CVO King.. You get use to it and then once you do you realize it actually out handles a Softail.. Especially at higher speeds..

Old 07-27-2014, 10:34 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Maitiu
I don't know anything about a RK. But I can tell you I just bought a 2014 Deluxe, it's my first Harely, and I'm having a blast on it.

Don't know what that other guy is talking about when he mentions $2000 for suspension upgrades. Thing drives just fine stock.
Yes, you do not know what I am talking about or what the OP is talking about. The OP mentioned lowering and air ride and 21" which requires a front suspension upgrade and 2up. And anyone who actually rides these bikes knows the stock suspensions sucks. Especially a stock Deluxe that is lower then the Heritage and FB.

Despite all this, enjoy and congrats on your new bike!

Old 07-28-2014, 06:14 AM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Talking

I've been happy with mine. You wanna experience a harsh ride get your fanny on an SG.

Quick Reply: Road King VS. Deluxe