Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stator/Alternator replacement

Old 07-27-2014, 03:33 PM
2009 Deluxe
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stator/Alternator replacement

I have a 2009 Deluxe and my stator fried this weekend. Question...is the stator on the bike just right under the compensator or do I have to remove something else? Any help would be great.

Thanks

Old 07-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

There's quite a bit to it. The clutch pan and a number of other things have to Come off to get it out..

Old 07-27-2014, 05:14 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Without going into complete detail, I'll give you an overview.

The stator is located inside the Stator Rotor which is behind the compensator. You must remove the compensator to access it however the Primary Chain does not have enough slack to clear the sprocket teeth therefore the Clutch Basket, Compensator, and Primary Chain must all be removed simultaneously. You'll need a few specialty tools; large sockets, snap ring pliers, torque wrench. Note: the retaining nut on the clutch basket is a left hand thread.

I don't want to sound rude but this is not a job for a novice. At a minimum you should get yourself a Harley Service Manual. I'm curious as to how you determined that the stator is faulty.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:17 AM
chrisj49
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by olongapo1

The stator is located inside the Stator Rotor which is behind the compensator. You must remove the compensator to access it however the Primary Chain does not have enough slack to clear the sprocket teeth therefore the Clutch Basket, Compensator, and Primary Chain must all be removed simultaneously. You'll need a few specialty tools; large sockets, snap ring pliers, torque wrench. Note: the retaining nut on the clutch basket is a left hand thread.

I don't want to sound rude but this is not a job for a novice. At a minimum you should get yourself a Harley Service Manual. I'm curious as to how you determined that the stator is faulty.
There is a 9-part series on Youtube that shows you exactly what to do. It's all pretty easy, but there are a couple of tricks. I followed it and had no problems.

The video and a shop manual were all I needed. Good luck!

Old 07-28-2014, 10:06 AM
2009 Deluxe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by olongapo1

I took it to a shop and they did all of the testing for me. I am pretty mechanically skilled but the Harley shop threw a curve ball at me telling me it was $6-800. When I asked why such a price gap they said because in my year of bike it could be behind the primary chain case housing. After looking at the service manual this does not seem to be the case. I have also watched the 9 part series on you tube and it seems pretty straight forward. I will be buying the primary drive locking tool to replace it correctly. Thanks for the help.

~Garry~

Old 07-28-2014, 10:10 AM
2009 Deluxe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chrisj49
There is a 9-part series on Youtube that shows you exactly what to do. It's all pretty easy, but there are a couple of tricks. I followed it and had no problems.

The video and a shop manual were all I needed. Good luck!
Chris,
Did you have to remove the clutch basket? Also did you buy the other tool they were using on the you tube video? The one to remove the outer shell of the alternator, behind the compensator? If so what part number is that?

Thanks,
Garry

Old 07-28-2014, 11:40 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I think there is a Screaming Eagle version of the stator that is supposed to be much better than the stock one. It's not much more than the stock, but is supposed to last forever..

Old 07-28-2014, 01:20 PM
Fatboy1389
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

It cost me $227.52 to replace the 32 amp stator, that's out the door price with gaskets, primary fluid and insp cover gasket
The receipt says it was 2 hours of labor

You need to find an honest independent shop

Old 07-28-2014, 05:42 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

2009 Deluxe,

Your Harley dealer must have performed an AC Output and Grounding test on your stator to determine that it's faulty. If you have basic mechanical skills and a service manual you can perform the replacement yourself. Here are a few tips and reminders:

-It's sometimes possible to reuse the outer primary gasket but advisable to have a new gasket handy on your spare parts shelf just in case.

-Mark the outside of the primary chain and reinstall it in the same orientation so that it travels in the same direction.

-The Clutch Basket retaining nut is a Left Hand Thread!!!

-The magnets in the stator rotor prevent it from easily sliding off. Cut and bend 2 pieces of a metal coat hanger into 90 degree hooks to use as tools. Insert these hooks into the holes in the rotor to pull it off. No need to purchase any special tool.

-The stator has a rubber plug which must be inserted through a hole in the primary case. A little dielectric grease on the plug helps it slip through this hole. Insure that the plug is seated properly otherwise it may leak primary fluid.

-Use Loctite on the Compensator and Clutch Basket nuts and torque them to specs.

-Use dielectric grease on the stator and regulator connection to prevent corrosion.

-While you're working in the area, insure that the Regulator ground wire is has a good, clean contact. Most regulators fail due to a poor ground connection.

If your shopping for parts check out "Cycle Electric". Quality charging system components, Made in the USA with a 2 year warranty. Cost is roughly the same as HD.

Last edited by olongapo1; 07-28-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:23 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

I just changed mine a week ago. I managed to get a few extensions and a 1/4" allen wrench through to the starter and get it off and then the primary cover. Didn't have to take half the bike apart. You can take the compensator almost off after you take the chain tensioner off without taking off the clutch, but the compensator will hit the primary cover,,,,,,just barely hits it. I took the clutch off then got the starter as mentioned above and did the change out that way. After I did the job and had things back together and running I talked to some guys I know and they each had to change their staters,,,,what they did was ground a little off the inner side of the primary housing when they did their change out. I will be doing that next time I go it,,,there is very little that has to come off to make it work. Pull your compensator out till it hits the housing,,,,you'll it almost comes off. Harley R&D needs to get on top of things and make life easier for everyone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stator/Alternator replacement