Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mpg

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by fatfatboy
I'm running a Batwing with a 5" windshield on a Slim. Last weekend I did a 1,100 mile trip. The way out was all super slab running 80 mph. The return trip was open back roads through Illinois running 65-75.
On the way out, on the super slap, I had to stop every 150 miles. On the return trip I was able to get to 200 miles before stopping.

I read in American Iron magazine, years ago, that optimal mpg on big twins is 52-53 mpg. Which I found to be true on a trip through Wyoming. It sucked running that speed, got passed by an old lady in an Yugo, but it saved me from pushing.
I pulled into the only gas station for miles and put 5.013 gallons in the 5 gallon tank on my Fatboy.
Yep.. Also, the higher the altitude the better the gas mileage. While up in the mountains of Colorado and The Dakotas I was getting 50+ mpg.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:23 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas
Might make a little difference, but how hard you ride makes a lot of difference. Once you get over 70+ your mileage goes to crap. You'll get your best mileage when you run 60-65 and don't accelerate hard. In other words, riding easy..
I agree with Pitbull's statement.

I have a 17" stock and a 21" Klockwerks Billboard Flare windshields.
Up until yesterday I'd swear the Klockwerks shield cost me ~3 mpg and I'm still not totally convinced that it doesn't but I now question that more.

After a 350 mile Black Hills ride from Rapid City to Devil's Tower to Deadwood to Needles Highway and back to Rapid City with the Klockwerks shield and only 12 miles on I90 at >65 mph I ended up getting 47 mpg.

Prior to that run my best was ~42 mpg and that was with the 17" stock shield.
BTW- around town I use the 17" stock and get typically ~38 mpg.

Last edited by Bluraven; 07-28-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:48 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Originally Posted by erbssr
How much does windshield height affect gas mileage?? I hear claims of 55 mpg on a stock 103 but I get 35-38. I have a 20" windshield could this be the reason? Maybe I should put my 17" stock one back on
I get about 30-35 depending on how I ride, if I wanted "good" gas millage I would have bought a Prius

Old 07-28-2014, 10:48 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Get about 42 -43 riding easy as I can and between 60-70. I usually ride a little harder than that and get 35-38. Stock 103 with a powervision , stage I and a pipe.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:26 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,239 Likes on 8,378 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave13
I get about 30-35 depending on how I ride, if I wanted "good" gas millage I would have bought a Prius
, Same here. Gas is the cheapest part of operating most any motor vehicle, and I`m not concerned with gas mileage while riding mine. Besides, who cares when most of the time you spend less than $15 to fill up your tank anyway?

Old 07-28-2014, 11:40 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

For those of us who do care...(because why the f**k would one bother to respond to a question with an "it's not important to me" comment; as if having an asshat of an opinion somehow trumps any relevant information?)

I run with or without a king size windshield depending on my mood.

I ran for years without a shield before I started using one. I always averaged around 45 mpg combined. I don't hot rod but I wouldn't say I take it slow either. I just sort of go with the flow for the most part.

Once I started running a shield I noticed about a 2-3 mile drop in fuel economy averaging only about 41. After many years of running these two setups under the same conditions I feel its safe to say that the shield for sure takes away from my fuel economy more than any bags or sissy bars or anything else on the bike which I ran with for years before I ever went to using a shield. I can dump the shield and instantly see the fuel economy go back up.

Last edited by Skeezmachine; 07-28-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:10 PM
erbssr
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
For those of us who do care...(because why the f**k would one bother to respond to a question with an "it's not important to me" comment; as if having an asshat of an opinion somehow trumps any relevant information?)

I ran for years without a shield before I started using one. I always averaged around 45 mpg combined. I don't hot rod but I wouldn't say I take it slow either. I just sort of go with the flow for the most part.

Once I started running a shield I noticed about a 2-3 mile drop in fuel economy averaging only about 41. After many years of running these two setups under the same conditions I feel its safe to say that the shield for sure takes away from my fuel economy more than any bags or sissy bars or anything else on the bike which I ran with for years before I ever went to using a shield. I can dump the shield and instantly see the fuel economy go back up.
Do tires seem to make a difference??

Old 07-28-2014, 04:22 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine

Jeez skeez! Probably can get a few more mph if ya pop it in neutral on downhill grades and maybe catch a draft from following extra close to vehicles on the highway. Honestly the single most unimportant factor was mileage when I bought my bike. Just another asshat of an opinion but wtf im off today and im that bored.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:07 PM
erbssr
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdonis
Jeez skeez! Probably can get a few more mph if ya pop it in neutral on downhill grades and maybe catch a draft from following extra close to vehicles on the highway. Honestly the single most unimportant factor was mileage when I bought my bike. Just another asshat of an opinion but wtf im off today and im that bored.
Ya know, I really tend to agree with you on who gives a ****, but it just pisses me off when one or two guys say they get 225 miles on a tank & I get 140-150. Makes me think I got a lemon.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:38 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by erbssr
Ya know, I really tend to agree with you on who gives a ****, but it just pisses me off when one or two guys say they get 225 miles on a tank & I get 140-150. Makes me think I got a lemon.
No it's not a lemon. It's just the tune and how hard you ride it. A guy I ride with always gets about 50 miles less out of a tank than I do, but he had his bike tuned rich. So rich in fact sometimes I hate riding behind him because of his "ripe" exhaust..

Quick Reply: Mpg