Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Heritage anniversary edition To buy or not to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 09:07 PM
HDK
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2003 Heritage anniversary edition To buy or not to buy?

Doing some research and looking for advice. I'm about to trade my VTX 1300 in for a Heritage softail finally. I'm looking at a 2003 anniversary edition that I really like and wanted advise on what I need to look for and questions to ask. The bike is in really good condition with a little over 30,000 miles. As it stands right now I can get the bike for $10,000 out the door from a local dealer.

Thanks for any input.

HDK

Old 07-27-2014, 09:25 PM
himwest
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you are not getting much for you Honda. The main thing you need to ask is if the cam chain tensioners have been replaced. You can do a search on here about the cam chain tensioners. Not trying to sell you my bike but i have a 1998 heritage on Jackson TN Craigslist and i am only asking 8995 and would do some trading.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:25 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,403 Likes on 4,013 Posts

I have one and love it......... I almost sold it when I bought my '12 Bagger, but I'm glad I didn't. Totally different feel from a bagger and fun to ride...!!

The main issue with that year bike, was the spring cam tensioners. Some have needed to be replaced at the 20K to 30K mark. Others have gone 50K-60K.

If they fail, it will be expensive.

There is a cam tensioner upgrade that switches to the current style, hydraulic cam tensioners, that are reported to last much longer.

Ask the dealer if the cam tensioners have been upgraded to the hydraulic style. If not, or if they don't know, ask if they would be willing to inspect them for you... not a big job.

I know it's regional, but 10K sounds a little high to me. But if they are offering a warranty or are willing to inspect the tensioners... might be worth it.

Good luck, it's a great bike!

Old 07-27-2014, 09:37 PM
HDK
Tourer

What was the listing date on your bike? I haven't seen any posted in Medina recently. I'm not very far from you.

HDK

Old 07-27-2014, 09:40 PM
HDK
Tourer

Originally Posted by himwest
Sounds like you are not getting much for you Honda. The main thing you need to ask is if the cam chain tensioners have been replaced. You can do a search on here about the cam chain tensioners. Not trying to sell you my bike but i have a 1998 heritage on Jackson TN Craigslist and i am only asking 8995 and would do some trading.

What was the listing date on your bike? I haven't seen any posted in Medina recently. I'm not very far from you. I work in Jackson.

HDK

Old 07-27-2014, 09:42 PM
HDK
Tourer

Originally Posted by hattitude
I have one and love it......... I almost sold it when I bought my '12 Bagger, but I'm glad I didn't. Totally different feel from a bagger and fun to ride...!!

The main issue with that year bike, was the spring cam tensioners. Some have needed to be replaced at the 20K to 30K mark. Others have gone 50K-60K.

If they fail, it will be expensive.

There is a cam tensioner upgrade that switches to the current style, hydraulic cam tensioners, that are reported to last much longer.

Ask the dealer if the cam tensioners have been upgraded to the hydraulic style. If not, or if they don't know, ask if they would be willing to inspect them for you... not a big job.

I know it's regional, but 10K sounds a little high to me. But if they are offering a warranty or are willing to inspect the tensioners... might be worth it.

Good luck, it's a great bike!

What year would be best to bypass the tensioner issue. Not looking to drop a bunch of money shortly after purchasing a bike if I can avoid it on the front side. $13,000 is about as much as I'm willing to spend on the bike as well.

Thanks,

HDK

Old 07-27-2014, 09:51 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,796 Likes on 1,673 Posts

Originally Posted by HDK
What year would be best to bypass the tensioner issue. Not looking to drop a bunch of money shortly after purchasing a bike if I can avoid it on the front side. $13,000 is about as much as I'm willing to spend on the bike as well.

Thanks,

HDK
They changed them to the hydraulic tensioners in 07. I have an 06 Heritage Classic and had gear driven cams installed. No more worries about cam chain tensioner failures and more umph to boot.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:59 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HDK
Doing some research and looking for advice. I'm about to trade my VTX 1300 in for a Heritage softail finally. I'm looking at a 2003 anniversary edition that I really like and wanted advise on what I need to look for and questions to ask. The bike is in really good condition with a little over 30,000 miles. As it stands right now I can get the bike for $10,000 out the door from a local dealer.

Thanks for any input.

HDK
10,000 does seems a bit high. Blue Book value on a 03' Heritage is ~$9,300. You didn't state what year your Honda is, but Blue Book value for that bike ranges from $2,400 to $4,400 depending on the year. Even with tax, paying anything above $8,000 out the door would be too much.

As far as a Heritage goes, it is a great bike. The Softail frame will not disappoint you.

Originally Posted by HDK

Thanks,

HDK
1999 to 2006 were the years with the most issues. That isn't to say that 2007 and up are immune, though.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:25 PM
HDK
Tourer

Originally Posted by sioux565
10,000 does seems a bit high. Blue Book value on a 03' Heritage is ~$9,300. You didn't state what year your Honda is, but Blue Book value for that bike ranges from $2,400 to $4,400 depending on the year. Even with tax, paying anything above $8,000 out the door would be too much.

As far as a Heritage goes, it is a great bike. The Softail frame will not disappoint you.

1999 to 2006 were the years with the most issues. That isn't to say that 2007 and up are immune, though.

My bike is and 05 1300r. KBB shows trade in at 3,000 and they are giving me 3,500. Started at asking $8,000 in addition to my bike and are down to $6,500. Am I still paying too much at this?

I am also going to address the tensioner issue with them and if they don't give on this it will be a deal breaker.

Thanks,

HDK

Old 07-27-2014, 10:46 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HDK
My bike is and 05 1300r. KBB shows trade in at 3,000 and they are giving me 3,500. Started at asking $8,000 in addition to my bike and are down to $6,500. Am I still paying too much at this?

I am also going to address the tensioner issue with them and if they don't give on this it will be a deal breaker.

Thanks,

HDK
Does the bike have anything extra added to it, or is it pretty much stock? If the bike is mostly stock, I personally wouldn't pay more than Blue Book for it. If Blue Book is $9,300 and they are giving you $3,500 for your trade, then I personally wouldn't pay any more than $5,800.

That is just my opinion. As you said, if the cam chain tensioner has not been replaced, I would keep looking.

Quick Reply: 2003 Heritage anniversary edition To buy or not to buy?