Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full face helmet

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:07 AM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 788 Likes on 432 Posts

If I ever was to go full face, I'd go for a boxer. The bottom loo flips around behind the head for the hot days to minimize drag.

http://www.fc-moto.de/WebRoot/FCMotoDB/Shops/10207048/48EF/79BF/4C7E/10C2/0B59/3E70/5055/B6F0/Roof_Boxer_V.jpg

Old 07-29-2014, 07:21 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Like others have pointed out. You simply cannot recommend a helmet to another person as the way they fit can vary a lot. If money is a concern Scorpion and HJC both make excellent helmets for the money. If they fit you. Go to a large motorcycle store and try various ones on and see how they feel. If it is not comfortable when you put it on dont buy it. There should not be a "break in" period where it gets comfortable. I made that mistake once and wasted my money.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:49 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

When I do where a full face helmet I wear a Harley modular helmet. I believe it's the HJC BT Max. I like it.

Whatever you decide get one that has the room to add speakers to the helmet.
Reason being if you want to add a stereo a good full face helmet will muffle the sound too much.

I hate ***-holes that make me listen to their music.
I just don't understand why they think it's "cool" or polite to play music through external speakers while in riding in a crowd, especially in town.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:58 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

I recently bought an Arai Signet-Q in frost black (matte). Expensive, but extreme quality. Unfortunately, like many SNELL approved helmets, it's a bit on the heavy side. It wouldn't be an issue, but I have an old neck problem. Plus, with the air vents open, it creates drag. Not as aerodynamic as I would have thought. I'll say this - it does vent better than any helmet I've ever owned. I usually wear an XL, but this helmet is more for an oval head, thus I fit into the Large shell, which is cast smaller than the XL. Looks good to.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:48 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up a Bell Arrow with a black visor this passed Black Friday (so, 2013).. total was $64 for the two. DOT approved, looks great, and very comfortable.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:56 PM
viperpit07
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tracker56
I have a Harley modular which is just a re-labeled HJC with Harley graphics. I like it, light and comfortable.
I have the same helmet and i got it with my bike. great helmet comfortable and nice features for the price.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:52 PM
T-Rod45
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by martin10
Like others have pointed out. You simply cannot recommend a helmet to another person as the way they fit can vary a lot. If money is a concern Scorpion and HJC both make excellent helmets for the money. If they fit you. Go to a large motorcycle store and try various ones on and see how they feel. If it is not comfortable when you put it on dont buy it. There should not be a "break in" period where it gets comfortable. I made that mistake once and wasted my money.
I agree with everything you're saying other than your last comment. If that's really how you feel then you're current helmet is probably too large.

The padding and liner attributes change just like any other padded fabric... After being exposed to repeated moisture and pressure, the helmet "breaks in" and the feel becomes less tight and more like a glove. I've also heard from friends that once the liner and pads are washed and dried, they may become tight again. (Ive never washed mine personally). The biggest mistake that most people make when buying a helmet is getting one that's too big. This can be dangerous as the helmet is supposed to feel snug for optimal active protection. It's always best to air on the side of caution and if the size you have on feels comfy but has too much "play" when you wiggle it up and down and side to side, then go with the next size down.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:54 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Leans93
I have an HJC modular IS-MAX BT which was around $200. It has good ventilation and built in sunglasses. But whatever helmet you choose I think black or matte black look good with cruisers.
I have this exact helmet, in white with a gray stripe. Looks great, fits great.

$165, no tax, free shipping, on my doorstep. Can't beat dealers who sell on eBay.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:57 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Rod45
I agree with everything you're saying other than your last comment. If that's really how you feel then you're current helmet is probably too large.

The padding and liner attributes change just like any other padded fabric... After being exposed to repeated moisture and pressure, the helmet "breaks in" and the feel becomes less tight and more like a glove. I've also heard from friends that once the liner and pads are washed and dried, they may become tight again. (Ive never washed mine personally). The biggest mistake that most people make when buying a helmet is getting one that's too big. This can be dangerous as the helmet is supposed to feel snug for optimal active protection. It's always best to air on the side of caution and if the size you have on feels comfy but has too much "play" when you wiggle it up and down and side to side, then go with the next size down.
I agree with you and thanks for pointing it out. What I should have said is that if you buy a helmet designed for a round/oblong head and you have an oblong/round head you will never get past uncomfortable pressure points. Bottom line is you want a helmet that is comfortable with no pressure points but is a bit snug in the way it fits.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:04 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Get one that fits. Never thought I'd like a ff. Bought a Bell rs-1 helmet with the bell shield that automatically changes from dark to clear and that is my go to helmet. Even when it is hot out.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...et-weights.htm.

Quick Reply: Full face helmet