Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full face helmet

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 08:38 PM
Onedef1
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I like the Scorpion. I have two, a full face and a 3/4. I want to get one of the new ones where the full face lifts up. They come with internal retractable tint shields as well as the clear external. They're very pricey, but I love the way they ride and vent, anti fog, all that good stuff.

I can understand wanting to save $ but a helmet is something that maybe you should be willing to pay a little more for, to get the most out of it, if you're gonna wear one anyway.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:36 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the look of the Bullitt -- it looks like a 3/4 but with chin protection, which is exactly what I've been after for a long time. Can anybody who has tried one on say how it compares in shape to other helmets? I'm a long-oval shaped head, and have difficulty finding helmets to fit, so what to know if this is going to end up being one of those times when I have to modify the internal padding to fit?

The gringo on the other hand looks like a bad idea to me. The viewport is really small, so the visibility is much reduced. That doesn't equate to "equal on safety" to me. Viewport is king for me when it comes to safety. Giving myself a higher chance of survival in a crash is one thing. But I'd like to have the best equipment for helping to PREVENT such a crash in the first place, and not being able to see as much is a no-go for me.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:36 AM
finalfury
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both a matte black Gringo and just picked up a Bell Bullitt TT and I like the Bell better. I think because it has a flip up shield and makes it easier to ride with and without shades.

It is interesting that you found a flip-up shield Gringo. That is either custom or they started making them? Not sure. I had bought a bubble shield for my Gringo but it was fixed and could not get shades on without having to unsnap the bubble shield from the helmet without being a pain in the a$$.

Good find!

Originally Posted by Jetfever
Picked up a Gringo S today I was in San Bernardino, at Chaparral and I was planning on buying the Bell Bullett. Or at least trying this cool "retro" helmet.

As I walked in the helmet area, I could not believe my eyes. There was a Biltwell Gringo with a tilt up visor. I tried it on and it fit perfect. Salesman said it is the first and only one they have ever seen in the store, more are on the way.

Then I tried on the Bell Bullitt, and I could not find a size that was comfortable, the Bullett just does not fit me.

I have now ridden this -S at 65-70 MPH with no windshield and I can't believe it: It is quieter than my old Arai Quantum/F. Although no vents, with the shield cracked, it seems to flow plenty of air. I have only ridden 20 miles, but so far I give this helmet very high marks, and not only 1/2 the price of the Bell, it looks more like my 1966 Bell Star than the Bullett does.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:42 AM
finalfury
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
You could go with the Bitwell Gringo. Nice lid for the price for sure, and some cool colors.

But the Bullitt really is a great lid.

I tried the Gringo for a while and felt really enclosed and the eye port was too narrow for visibility I like in the city.

The Bullitt feels like you are riding with a 3/4, great visibility and venting. Incredibly lightweight too.

I find it worth the 400 bones, but YMMV.
Agreed! After having the Gringo for a while now, I've gone ahead and bought a Bullitt and like much better. I got a deal at a local bike show where Bell vendor was present. I picked it up for $320. Good price if you ask me.

What I like about the Bullitt is that it is more comfortable and has a flip up shield built-in. The Gringo has a fixed shield that is optional and you can't put on shades while the fixed shield is on.

The only thing I don't like about the Bullitt is when taking it off. It feels like it is ripping my ears off my head. I have to do it carefully. LOL

Old 01-29-2015, 09:54 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Good deal. Yup the Bullitt is a winner. Mine has loosened up some since I bought it, but still snug. Works out well on the freeway though. No slip.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:59 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default NEW: Gringo "S" !!!!! flip shield

Flip up shield on Gringo S!!!!!!!!!!

The new for 2015 Gringo S has a flip up shield. Just like my 1966 Bell Star, it has a snap closure. I love how the helmet has none of the "feature creep". Those vents cause lots of noise. I have a friend who taped over the Bell Bullitt top vents, and it helped but the huge opening under the chin bar on the Bullitt still caused BIG noise.

I still can't believe my new Gringo S is so quiet. And comfortable. I tried on the Gringo WITHOUT the flip shield at the store, and it did NOT fit the same. look at the photos, (link below). This helmet sits lower on your face giving a better view. I have seen no ads for this helmet or I would have bought one earlier. (The helmet in my photo is the first one the shop had, came in the same day I bought it). Flip up shield is MANDATORY for me, just like the old '66 Bell Star had.

I strongly recommend trying a helmet on b4 buying. The 'net is not a great place to fit a helmet, unless you KNOW it will fit.
I almost bought a Bullitt without trying it on, Bullitt does not fit me at all.

Last edited by Jetfever; 01-29-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:24 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ah, now I know what the gringo reminds me of. Lego spacehelmets

Old 01-29-2015, 10:40 AM
Jetfever
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Bell Star of '66

Originally Posted by peg20
Ah, now I know what the gringo reminds me of. Lego spacehelmets
Funny! That is exactly what everyone said about the Bell Star when it came out in '66. Before the Star, I do not believe you could buy a full face helmet.

To each his own. I will never again ride with a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet. I have 2 half helmets (came with the bike) and I can't stand wearing them over about 25 mph.

I guess I love the '60s space helmet look.

Last edited by Jetfever; 01-29-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:15 AM
wxmcpo
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by geektoad
I have a watermelon head and i've always had good luck with HJC helmets. currently using their CL-Max II modular in matte black. Don't know if it "looks good on a cruiser", but that's at the bottom of the list of things a helmet needs to do in my mind.
I've been wearing the HJC CL-Max II for a little over 6 years now and it has been a great helmet. Here's a pic of me wearing it on my previous bike to give you an idea what it looks like on a cruiser.

I am looking to replace this one though as it is a little over 6 years old now. I am seriously looking at the Nolan 104 as my next helmet.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:12 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by wxmcpo
I've been wearing the HJC CL-Max II for a little over 6 years now and it has been a great helmet.

I am looking to replace this one though as it is a little over 6 years old now. I am seriously looking at the Nolan 104 as my next helmet.
If you liked the HJC, might consider getting another one. They're both DOT and Snell certified, inexpensive, streamlined enough that you get less neck fatigue than when riding without a helmet (without a windshield), the venting is good, and they don't suffer from "helmet lift" at high speeds. I have a couple of them, one model which was discontinued last year, and one of the newer model which replaced it.

Quick Reply: Full face helmet