Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tool kit for softail

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 07:47 PM
JayWatkins
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tool kit for softail

Im new here and I just bought a 1999 softail standard and I'm looking to put a tool kit together to carry with me in my saddlebag. Can u guys tell me what sizes I'll need and what tools I'll need? I don't wrench on stuff, but I want to know how to work on my harley.

A detailed rundown would be appreciated.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:36 PM
Liberator
Cruiser

This kit isn't cheap but it's got most major things you'll need on the side of the road and they all seem to be of good quality. Stopped a buddy's primary leak in the blue ridge mountains so it was worth it to me. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WK3SWK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 07-29-2014, 12:53 AM
gforrest2
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 I have this kit but in a pouch that fits the teardrop tool case. Not cheap but high quality. Hope I never have to use it.

For about half the price, you could join the AMA. Membership comes with roadside assistance and towing.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:04 PM
Knuckles73
Tourer

I've got this one. rolls up nice...not as spendy and you get quite abit with it.

Amazon.com: WINDZONE ESSNTL TOOL KT SAE: Automotive Amazon.com: WINDZONE ESSNTL TOOL KT SAE: Automotive

But Windzone has other smaller kits too

Old 07-29-2014, 12:31 PM
Glockster
6th Gear
Default Tire plug kit

Sometimes I carry tools and sometimes I don't. On a long trip I always take 'em. However, one "tool" I never leave at home is a tire plug kit. I've used my tire plug kit twice, one time in motel parking lot and one time out in the middle of nowhere Idaho. Rear tires both times. Worked like a champ. Before I spent a Benjamin on a tool kit I would get the tire plug kit. BTW, they only work on tubeless rims.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:47 PM
fattyboyrider
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cruz tools makes some nice kits and not that pricey

Old 07-29-2014, 04:33 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Plus 1 for the tire repair kit. Never leave home without it. Take a look at "Stop and Go" kits. As for tools, you can find everything you need at Sears. Carry a set of Combination Wrenches, Screw Drivers, Pliers, Allen Wrenches, and Torx Wrenches. Make sure that the torx wrench set includes the size T27. Add to your kit, a roll of Duct Tape and Zip Ties.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:40 PM
gerjets
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tip. Do NOT by the HD toolkit (ny opinion). Doesn't have all the tools you need. The CruzTools kit looks much better to me. That said, I would recommend doing a good review of your bike and determine what else you will need to build a good kit (that's what I did).

Old 07-29-2014, 05:59 PM
Strahley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always ride with a backpack, so I just keep a customized kit in there. Most of the kits seem more expensive than what you get out of them

Old 07-29-2014, 06:56 PM
Knuckles73
Tourer

Originally Posted by Glockster
Sometimes I carry tools and sometimes I don't. On a long trip I always take 'em. However, one "tool" I never leave at home is a tire plug kit. I've used my tire plug kit twice, one time in motel parking lot and one time out in the middle of nowhere Idaho. Rear tires both times. Worked like a champ. Before I spent a Benjamin on a tool kit I would get the tire plug kit. BTW, they only work on tubeless rims.
Unfortunately...the 99 FXST is spoked and not tubeless...unless they arent stock rims.

Quick Reply: Tool kit for softail