Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softbrake for a Deluxe Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 10:58 AM
gforrest2
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A couple of notes from my install

At the time, Softbrake made a holder that could be used with the stock housing - that's what I used. I loosened my fender but did not remove it (and managed to put a couple of big scratches in it in the process). As others have said, if you put your bike on a jack, i.e., relieve the suspension, and you don't have monster hands, you should be okay. If you bike is lowered in anyway, forget about it. I didn't buy an LED frame, just a few loose LEDs which I glued to the corners of my license plate bracket. As far as the clear window in my stock lens - a little foil blocks the light. And I put a couple of round reflectors (license plate bolts) in the two holes at the top of my housing. Granted, it's not as clean an install as buying all the right parts, but I'm a biker on a budget.

Last edited by gforrest2; 08-24-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:06 PM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, I used the flat plate holder and fished the wires through the turn signal grommet to underneath the fender and back into the tail light housing where I spliced into the license plate bulb socket wiring using Posi-Tap connectors. They work slick.

http://www.posi-lock.com/

Attached Thumbnails Softbrake for a Deluxe Question-early-september-2013-018.jpg  
Old 02-10-2023, 02:44 PM
heater26
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kneesinthebreeze
Yes, I used the flat plate holder and fished the wires through the turn signal grommet to underneath the fender and back into the tail light housing where I spliced into the license plate bulb socket wiring using Posi-Tap connectors. They work slick.

http://www.posi-lock.com/

Hey! Old thread and post but I figured Id try. You say you spliced into the license plate bulb socket. Did pull them out of the socket and attach the 2 wires to the two wires in the led plate mount? Or do you attach just the wire wire to the bulb socket and then the black one to ground screw in the tail light? Or cut both out of the bulb socket and connect to the new plate white and black wires.