Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softbrake for a Deluxe Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:13 PM
Maitiu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softbrake for a Deluxe Question

I want to relocate my license plate under my brake light. So after a search, it seems this product is pretty popular https://www.softbrake.com/shop/shop_...Product_id=162

Here's my question. The description is confusing to me. It says "THIS PART CAN NOT BE USED A STOCK HOUSING". So can I use just the relocator for $40? Or, do I need to buy "SoftBrakes Tombstone housing" as well?

Old 07-29-2014, 10:42 PM
super77ta
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need to buy their tombstone housing as well. on the stock housing there is a clear lens on top to light up the license plate. by switching the plate underneath the light you no longer need the clear lens on top, so by using their tombstone housing it cleans up the look.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:28 PM
VigilantOutlaw
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Be prepared to remove your rear fender from your bike. I read a couple posts where some had luck reaching under the fender and changing it like that, I didn't have such luck doing it that way; big hands I guess.
It really isn't that bad, in all honesty you'll probably do a much better job going that route.
Here's a video that might help:

Old 07-29-2014, 11:40 PM
super77ta
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i didnt have any problem installing mine when i left the rear fender on. but i did take the rear tire off because it needed changed anyways. it will be very difficult to install with the rear tire on.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:07 AM
Kyser13
Advanced
Default Looks clean

This is definitely gonna be my first mod. waiting till winter to tear the fender off. Anyone have any luck with lit license plates to go with this mod other than the one in the vid?

Old 08-23-2014, 05:14 PM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No need to do this project with removing rear fender. If you have nimble hands and patience it can be done fairly easily without removal of rear tire or the fender.

I work with my hands and with tools daily so I might be biased in my opinion of the ease but I still think removal of fender/tire is overkill.

I am not a mechanic and it only took me about 3 hours to install the Softbrake kit and a LED lighted license plate bracket along with multiple morning coffee breaks.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:49 PM
gchristopher9
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I had my bike jacked up in the air for winter storage and was able to do the install without removing the fender or tire. I'm pretty handy with tools but by no means a mechanic. Really wasn't difficult at all.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:59 PM
Kyser13
Advanced

Originally Posted by kneesinthebreeze
No need to do this project with removing rear fender. If you have nimble hands and patience it can be done fairly easily without removal of rear tire or the fender.

I work with my hands and with tools daily so I might be biased in my opinion of the ease but I still think removal of fender/tire is overkill.

I am not a mechanic and it only took me about 3 hours to install the Softbrake kit and a LED lighted license plate bracket along with multiple morning coffee breaks.
Did you lift it or anything? what plate did you use?

Old 08-23-2014, 09:19 PM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.customdynamics.com/illumi...nce_plates.htm

I did use my bike jack which enabled me to see under the fender a little better.

The license plate bracket was wired to the light socket for plate illumination in the stock tombstone housing, which should be replaced with Softbrakes housing for a cleaner look.

The custom dynamics frame works perfectly. This and the Softbrake should come stock on the Deluxe. It looks much better than the "billboard" stock plate mount.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:50 PM
Kyser13
Advanced

I agree the stocker looks terrible. You used the flat LED plate holder right? Softbrake should make it curved or custom Dynamics should come up with the whole kit...Thanks for the info Im gonna do this in the winter and the only reason Im taking it off is cuz I have no garage and it's warmer inside! Not sure I need too but I replaced mine on a Street Bob and it was biotch without the bike bn lifted or anything.
Originally Posted by kneesinthebreeze
http://www.customdynamics.com/illumi...nce_plates.htm

I did use my bike jack which enabled me to see under the fender a little better.

The license plate bracket was wired to the light socket for plate illumination in the stock tombstone housing, which should be replaced with Softbrakes housing for a cleaner look.

The custom dynamics frame works perfectly. This and the Softbrake should come stock on the Deluxe. It looks much better than the "billboard" stock plate mount.

Quick Reply: Softbrake for a Deluxe Question