Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LA Choppers FULLY INTERNAL TreeHuggers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 04:02 PM
dyolfknip
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default LA Choppers FULLY INTERNAL TreeHuggers.

So, for those about to ask, yes, it was a pain in the ***. NO they are not made to be fully internal. I had direct access to a master machinist (and generally REALLY smart dude) to help with a lot of the custom stuff.

That custom stuff means:
Custom fitted spacers to match where bars stepped down to 1" from 1.5"
machining of Exile internal throttle to fit inside 1" tubing.
Routing of stainless brake line inside bars (it isnt like you can just blow it through like string.)

So to no further avail, here she is, and correct me if I am wrong, the FIRST set of Tree Huggers to go fully internal (and if you ask me, THE LAST lol):

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, it was after my ride.

Also threw on some 52 Fat Spoke Ride Wrights, new Metzler Rubber, Grip Ace to delete switch pods and new JayBrake front brake lever and MC.

She also has a Shotgun, LaBriola Jockey shift and a bunch of other bolt on crap.

Anyone wants some tips on going internal, I can help as much as I can (I did or helped with ALL of the internal crap, otherwise it would have cost me a fortune.

Now, the ride.......I took her for about a 3 hour spin on the Autobahn and then some countryside.....WOW, does she ever corner well now compared to the stock NT drag bars.....I LOVE it.....and I will take any help I can get when doing slow left turns with the jockey shift. On the highway, trying to do 130kph (minimum on Autobahn) you are a bit of a sail for sure. But it is still straight as an arrow.

Shout out to the guys at Ride Wright for AWESOME service, Russell at Exile for putting up with all my emails (Jaybrake took forever to machine the brake lever and sent with my order from Exile) and Timothy at Grip Ace for more excellent customer service.

Oh and last but not least Handlebarlouie on here for getting me the bars OH so long ago.

And one last comment, if you are thinking about doing fully internal, I would HIGHLY suggest you get bars that are made for it, like the ones Exile offers. I originally wasnt going to go internal, ordered the bars and external cabling, then changed my mind cause i hate having money. All in all, labour and parts, I probably have close to $2000 into the bars alone. I bet that would have been cut in half if I had gone for a set from Exile, but hey, you cant take it with you right?

On a side note though, those with a keen eye will notice the F800GS sitting in the garage. It is now my full time wet weather vehicle, cause those Ride Wright spokes are NEVER seeing rain...lol...

Any comments, good or bad are welcome. I am still on the fence as to whether or not to flip my mirrors. I may even put the stock ones back on now that they probably arent useless anymore.

Last edited by dyolfknip; 07-30-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:11 PM
Low n Loud
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Badass.... (except the mirrors) ;-)

Old 07-30-2014, 04:12 PM
dyolfknip
Road Master

Originally Posted by Low n Loud
Badass.... (except the mirrors) ;-)
DAMMIT!!!!! I KNEW IT>....grabs socket set......

Old 07-30-2014, 04:38 PM
Nickdawg18
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same bars on my bike but black. Just the wires alone were a pita, I don't know how the hell you got the throttle cable to go down there too. Looks good.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:57 PM
dyolfknip
Road Master

Originally Posted by Nickdawg18
I have the same bars on my bike but black. Just the wires alone were a pita, I don't know how the hell you got the throttle cable to go down there too. Looks good.
Ahem, throttle, stainless brake line and 2 wires for brake switch on throttle side, on left side , it was "easy", one Grip Ace wire. For the hollow wires we came up with a way to string aircraft safety wire through first, then feed the hollow lines (brake and throttle) over it, the pull safety wire out.

Originally Posted by HandleBarLouie
Now that is clean looking! Nice work....you got more patience that this old man to run everything inside.
And this one will NEVER DO IT AGAIN. Care to confirm if the LA Choppers guys have ever seen a full internal setup for me? Feel free to show them this thread.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:57 PM
Strahley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty clean. What seat is that?

Old 07-30-2014, 11:33 PM
dyolfknip
Road Master

Originally Posted by Strahley
Pretty clean. What seat is that?
Danny Gray Buttcrack

Old 08-01-2014, 08:55 AM
SKT
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, all that hard work was worth it, as the sterile apes looks great!

Nice job w/ this scoot!

Old 08-01-2014, 09:31 AM
dyolfknip
Road Master

Originally Posted by SKT

Wow, all that hard work was worth it, as the sterile apes looks great!

Nice job w/ this scoot!

Lol "sterile apes"! Thanks though. Pretty happy with them for sure.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:37 AM
dyolfknip
Road Master

She handles great on the Autobahn. Too bad I am like a sail at 130kph or more.....hang on for dear life...lol....

Quick Reply: LA Choppers FULLY INTERNAL TreeHuggers.